Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Underwater Cities» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action Cards - Claimed Cards....Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob DS
Canada
flag msg tools
I am playing the 2 player side of the board

I place my Action Tile on the Red Action Slot which allows me to;

"Build 1 tunnel. Use one of your action Cards"

I play a Red Permanent Effects Card with my Action Tile which to my understanding now allows me to "claim" that card as it is the same color as the Action Slot. To my understanding, the Red Permanent Effects card that I played is now a part of my "underwater nation" and is not part of my 3 card hand.

My understanding is that I can now Use or Activate one of my Action Cards as part of resolving the effects granted to me by choosing the Red Action Slot noted above. I indicate my used action card use by placing it on it's side near my player board.

In essence this action slot allowed me to claim a permanent effects card and activate one of my Action Cards

Do I now pick up two cards from the draw deck to get my hand back up to 3 cards as 2 cards were used from my hand as part of resolving the chosen action slot ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, the action card must already have been "claimed" during an earlier action, therefore must already be in front of you by the time you "activate" it. So you would only have played the one card, with two left in your hand.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor Fred
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueNorth2112 wrote:
My understanding is that I can now Use or Activate one of my Action Cards as part of resolving the effects granted to me by choosing the Red Action Slot noted above. I indicate my used action card use by placing it on it's side near my player board.

You can activate an action card which is "available". Action cards are "available" when you played them when taking an action on the board. You cannot use action cards on your hand.

PF
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, you only draw one card at the end of your turn. You do not draw up to your hand limit. He makes this distinction in the rules when talking about playing a card that gives you a 4 card limit. It is only one card at the end of your turn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob DS
Canada
flag msg tools
opticode wrote:
Nope, the action card must already have been "claimed" during an earlier action, therefore must already be in front of you by the time you "activate" it. So you would only have played the one card, with two left in your hand.


Ok - thanks for the response

So my understanding of how a person "claims" a card is that in order for a card to be "claimed" they must match the color of the Action Slot

On a two player board there are only 2 Action Card Slots - one on the red side and one on the Orange Side.

How do I "claim" Green Action Cards if there are no Green Action Card Slots on a two player board ?



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You claim the card when you play it on the matching color action space on the board. Claim means that is now a part of your city. The card is then laid down in front of you. When you want to use the power of that claimed action card, on a different turn you must then use an action space with the A on it. This icon means you can now activate the power on an action card that is already part of your city. The A symbol allows you to activate a previously claimed card in your city of ANY color.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob DS
Canada
flag msg tools
shutterbugtn wrote:
You claim the card when you play it on the matching color action space on the board. Claim means that is now a part of your city. The card is then laid down in front of you. When you want to use the power of that claimed action card, on a different turn you must then use an action space with the A on it. This icon means you can now activate the power on an action card that is already part of your city. The A symbol allows you to activate a previously claimed card in your city of ANY color.


Perfect, that is exactly as I understand it now

I was confused about how to bring Green action cards into play because there is not matching Green Action Card Action slot on the 2 player side of the game .

I just realized now that you don’t need an Action Slot with the Action card symbol on it to ‘claim’ a green or any other coloured action card .

To claim an action card, you simply need to match the colour of any action slot when you are using your tile action.

To activate or use the action card after its been claimed you need to play your action tile on an action slot with the action card symbol on it


Whew....that’s a lot of action
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Burak
msg tools
mb
shutterbugtn wrote:
On a side note, you only draw one card at the end of your turn. You do not draw up to your hand limit. He makes this distinction in the rules when talking about playing a card that gives you a 4 card limit. It is only one card at the end of your turn.


That's not correct.
The section GAMEPLAY on page 4 states: you always start your turn with 3 cards.
The rules say, that at the end of your turn, you always draw one card, even if it exceeds your hand limit, but you discard all excess cards by the beginning of your next turn at the latest.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You do only draw one card. There is not a single situation that you would have less than two cards when your hand limit is 3. You play one card in a slot, then pick up a new card at the end of your turn. This situation could happen with a hand limit of 4. It is pointed out in the yellow box on Page 16. A hand limit of 4 only alters how you discard and does not alter the “always draw one card at the end of your turn” rule. This distinction only is needed the first time you activate a four card limit. Once you have four cards, it is rare that you would have less than four cards due to the one out and one in nature of the card play.

The 3 cards at the beginning of your turn is a reminder that you should have discarded down to 3 cards before you start your turn.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Radmore
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmb
It says you can do it in any order - play cards or take the action. So surely I can play the (action card) card, and then use the action, which allows me to use an Action card, which I do, choosing the one I just played. Right??
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can.

We are talking about something else.

Usually cards you claim are only usable with the A action space on your board. You can claim the card first if it matches the color of the space you just activated on the board. Then you can use the board space powers. If the board space has the A symbol, then you can activate the newly claimed card the same turn you claimed it.

However you can’t use a card to activate a board space and then take another card from your hand and claim that. The A symbol simply means you can activate an A/Action card in your tableau. Some players have confused the A icon to mean that you take an action card from your hand and place it in the tableau. That is not the case. That is what the original post was confused about. Notice, he talks about using two cards from his hand in one turn.

Hopefully that makes sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Radmore
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes it does - thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.