Hide
1 Posts

Solitaire» Forums » Reviews

Subject: An alternative perspective on Solitaire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Dowson
msg tools
Having browsed the Solitaire page on BGG, it's pretty clear what most BGG folk think about this game. Too simple once you know how, repetitive, boring, not even a game in the first place - and that's alright, I actually agree with all those points.

But I still have a soft spot for it.

I like Solitaire because it's the kind of quick, easy filler game I can play for 15 minutes before bed when I don't have the mental energy to play anything else more complicated. If I can't face the maths of Yahtzee, can't deal with how fiddly Utopia Engine can be, or can't even be bothered to play Patience, I'll spend a few minutes just mindlessly moving the Solitaire pieces around.

A common criticism of Solitaire is that once you've worked out the solution, there is no more challenge. While this is true, I haven't worked it out yet, and I don't think I will as I don't play it often enough to make any kind of tactical progress. But then that's not why I play the game.

The version I play with is a simple black-and-white line board I printed off the internet, using dice as playing pieces. I spent no money on it (not even the printer ink as I printed it off at work!), and it uses dice I already had, so I basically got a game in exchange for nothing, which can't be bad.

In summary, despite all it's faults, Solitaire has it's place in my collection. It is a mindless filler game/puzzle/activity that does nothing more than fill the occasional 15 minutes here or there, and because I don't expect anything more from it, I'm not disappointed with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.