Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
- - - - - -
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know games with an interesting battle system?

Like Cry Havoc for example. (By the way, are there any other games that use this battle system?)

Do you have a link to a good analysis of this topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rising Sun also has a battleboard, somewhat similar to Cry Havoc's, but the units are placed there secretly.

Blood Rage has interesting battle, since it is driven by a card-drafting mechanic, and there are different goals, when you go into a battle (for some, losing the battle can even be beneficial).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Basham
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I quit!
badge
mbmbmb
Honestly, I think Assault on Doomrock has a very cool battle system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Define: "Battle System" and define "interesting"

Because, you know, Freebooter's Fate is a skirmisher, where attacker and defender each have 6 hitzone cards.
Attacker chooses 2, Defender chooses 3 of them.

If Defender doesn't match both of Attacker's cards, Damage resolution takes place ..

Also, I once wrote an article here at the 'Geek:
Dissecting the D6 – a powerful tool of high flexibility.
The ideas presented therein led to the creation of another skirmisher: Whack & Slaughter
IMO the option to manipulate the faces of a die this way is "interesting" as well.

I don't know Cry Havoc's battle system - so I cannot tell how this is intersting ..

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler G
United States
Kentwood
MI
flag msg tools
mb
I personally love Kemet due to how clean and quick the combat is, while still providing meaningful decisions. Do you go right for the throat, dealing tons of damage but not providing much strength (which actually wins the battle), or do you focus on defense in case your opponent throws tons of damage your way? Is this a battle you don't mind losing, so you save a more impactful battle card for later? The decisions allowed based on only three stats on a battle card are quite interesting.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm a fan of Forbidden Stars and its combat, which is a bit more divisive. It can certainly bog the game down because it's not quick, but I find the decisions really interesting here as well. Do you play tons of damage in the beginning, hoping for a quick victory, or do you play defense and morale hoping for a victory after three combat rounds (assuming you can hold out that long)? Or do you start out doing damage and need to swap to morale halfway through combat because you know you can't defeat the opponent? And if you've planned well, your cards are complemented and strengthened by the units present in the battle, too, and choosing the right battle cards at the right round of combat can throw everything to your favor. It also provides the opportunity for a small force to defeat a larger one if the cards are played cleverly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph
Probably implements the best fog of war in any game I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is a unique game in many ways. The effects of 'honour' and 'presteige' upon the battles are quite different to other wargames.

This also applies to the 'battle system', which is card-based, but diceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

(Not my image)

Frontier Wars was interesting to me. Not sure if this was borrowed from another system or new to this game. Cards can also be obtained and played to change the outcome from this kind of rock, paper, scissor predetermined outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallenstein (first edition) -- rather unusual, but it works.

Pick up all of the attackers' and defender' cubes in the contested territory; drop them all in the top of the tower (some will get hung on little ledges in the tower, and cubes hung in the tower from previous battles may get knocked loose); and compare the quantities of cubes that spill out on to the tray at the base of the tower. The color with the most wins the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Agoura Hills
Select state
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon in Europe
Titan

both use the separate tactical battle board system...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Cry Havoc, but 1775: Rebellion has a nice one for dice-based battles.

It's streamlined and intuitive, yet it transmits to me the brutality and chaos of the battles that take place in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although co-op, Gloomhaven has the Battle Decks that modify the final values created by the 2-card system.

I've wondered if the entire 2-card + Battle Deck system could be adapted for 1v1 or multi-player skirmish-level design.

Also, Tsukuyumi: Full Moon Down with its Action Card resolution system where the defense chooses a response. Very interesting as the system is highly adaptive to the wildly asymmetric powers and keeps that wide-ranging asymmetry at the forefront of the battle mechanism(s).

And, although the game has some fundamental problems (namely no real way to modify damage done to your doll), Nickelodeon Splat Attack!, with its 'splat' tile laying damage resolution is a pretty neat idea. The attack resolution is nothing to write home about though (just rolling some dice). There was definitely room for more streamlined innovation with the game considering the 'splat' resolution is quite cool, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Rising Sun also has a battleboard, somewhat similar to Cry Havoc's, but the units are placed there secretly.
+1. I was immediately reminded of 'Cry Havoc' when I first played this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Fritzsche
Germany
Wolfsburg
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know Cry Havoc either but Inis has a really interesting battle system in which you can chose to sacrifice future actions instead of troops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulet Natalius
Indonesia
Surabaya
East Java
flag msg tools
Angry dragon! In ssspaaace!!!
badge
I think dragons are the quintessential element of fantasy in the same way outer space is for sci-fi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

Pick up all of the attackers' and defender' cubes in the contested territory; drop them all in the top of the tower (some will get hung on little ledges in the tower, and cubes hung in the tower from previous battles may get knocked loose); and compare the quantities of cubes that spill out on to the tray at the base of the tower. The color with the most wins the battle.

And Shogun as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Forbidden Stars, the best I've seen, but a bit lengthy for not participating players. I also enjoy Clash of Cultures combat system a lot. I think it combines all the good stuff from other games in a elegant way. It is "hit" based, but all the misses also contribute a little bit which can be decisive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Travalgar wrote:
Eldard wrote:

And Shogun as well.

...and Im Zeichen des Kreuzes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AHShole wrote:
Napoleon in Europe
Titan

both use the separate tactical battle board system...

As does StarForce 'Alpha Centauri': Interstellar Conflict in the 25th Century
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Blades and Heroes
Open Combat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
I think the most ingenious system is that of Magic Realm. You need to match direction (attack versus manoeuver) or undercut (faster attack-speed than manoeuver) and you need to inflict as much or more damage than the vulnerability of the opponent. Of course, if your attacker is faster than you....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.