9 Posts

The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sin Player Controller and Avatar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Muralhas
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hi guys, just got this game on ebay. Really excited for it.
One thing I was expecting and don’t see it the rules: given that there is a Controller for the Sin Avatar there’s no penalty for the Sin player if the heroes take out the Controller?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I entirely follow your question, but the controller is just another monster with better stats than ordinary folk. However, some cards mention the controller directly, but when he's dead he can simply respawn him like any other monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To further expand, there is no inherent penalty for the sin player should ANY of its monsters die - they can all be respawned unless there is a rule in play to stop it. (usually the hell club can't come back).

The missions have kill requirements, and unless it says respawns immediately it will just respawn during the respawn phase. Thus the avatar is quite a powerhouse in those missions it's summoned but is not a target or goal of the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Muralhas
Portugal
flag msg tools
I understand and that is what I got from reading the rules, but given that that monster is called a “Controller” and the Sin main monster is called a “Avatar” (I assume a Avatar of the controller) I was expecting that in the rules the Avatar would be somehow impaired (if not frozen) during the time that the Controller was death and not yet respawned. For me that would make sense otherwise why calling them Controller and Avatar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cmuralhas wrote:
I understand and that is what I got from reading the rules, but given that that monster is called a “Controller” and the Sin main monster is called a “Avatar” (I assume a Avatar of the controller) I was expecting that in the rules the Avatar would be somehow impaired (if not frozen) during the time that the Controller was death and not yet respawned. For me that would make sense otherwise why calling them Controller and Avatar?

But why would the avatar be related to the controller? This isn't a computer game, so there no relation between the word controller and avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:
Cmuralhas wrote:

But why would the avatar be related to the controller? This isn't a computer game, so there no relation between the word controller and avatar.

Exactly this - it's not that type of controller. It's more like a boss level human - perhaps it's the commander / controller of the abominations.

Keep in mind the Sin and it's ilk are summoned by the Hell Club. And the controller is on the board at the start of the game. The avatar is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Muralhas
Portugal
flag msg tools
Well, I expected the game to have mechanics around the controller and the avatar that would make it more unique. Guess I’ll house rule some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cmuralhas wrote:
Well, I expected the game to have mechanics around the controller and the avatar that would make it more unique. Guess I’ll house rule some.

The sin deck has quite a few cards that are unique to the Sin. And the controller has at least one card that's unique to that Sin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.