Popular Tags: [View All]
Caroline Black
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
Tigger playing Agricola. He lost!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to this hobby but have found it really difficult to buy the games I want. I research them on line. Watch runs throughs. Then find they are unavailable or really expensive to obtain.

It wasn’t so much of a problem at the beginning as there were multiple games I wanted so I could just buy a different game. But now none of the games on my wish list seem available.

How do you buy your games? Seek them out on eBay or wait for a reprint? Also some games don’t seem to be available in the UK like Sprawlopolis
I have tried popping into FLGS when I come across them in the hope I’ll find Macao or Ginkgopolis. But haven’t been lucky so far.

Ordered a couple of reprints Snowdonia: Deluxe Master Set and Key Market: Second edition on Kickstarter but then you have to wait months for them.

Also new games like Museum seem difficult to obtain retail with limited information about availability. It’s quite frustrating but I guess you get a great sense of satisfaction when you do track down a game. I’ve done this by mainly buying via BGG.

It seems an odd market. Do the game manufacturers deliberately restrict demand to build hype or is it a function of being a niche hobby? It seems like manufacturers are leaving money on the table and eBayers are taking advantage by charging inflated prices. This gives a sense of FOMO which might tip you into buying a game you will later regret buying.

However, on the plus side there does seem to be a healthy second hand market to get rid of any mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Usually buy them through online game store retailers. Generally one of them will have the game I am looking for and $10 postage isn't too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Weston-super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Caroline, there's a really good Facebook group if you're on there, called Board Game Trading and Chat UK. People often pop things up for sale, but you can also make requests. Plus it's a really nice place to chat with like-minded folks.

You can also check Board Game Prices which is not only a price comparison but will also show you stock in online shops you may be unaware of. Many of these will back kickstarters so the games are purchasable when the KS is fulfilled, at least for a short while, so if you missed the campaign you don't entirely miss out on a new copy. It also lists pre-orders for many retailers.

The BGG marketplace is also often a fair place to order from - I myself bought a game from Singapore which was an Essen release but sold out there and currently still has no distribution deal into the EU or US, and although I had to wait a few weeks the price was almost the same as the Essen price including postage.

I hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck finding Ginkgopolis - I've been after that for years!

I always buy my games from a local games shop. I'm lucky enough to work near Heffers in Cambridge and they have a great selection of games in their basement. Possibly a bit closer to you (going by your flag's hover text) is Lorfords in Bury St Edmunds. It's above a tobaconist/newsagent, it's very small and it's so crammed with games that I'm surprised they can fit any customers in! It's where I buy my GMT games.

As for the scarcity of games... It's often been mentioned on this site but basically board games are actually quite a small market. A game which sells a few thousand is considered a success. Because of that print runs are small and games do go out of print very quickly.

My solution to that is just to accept that I'm not going to get all the games that pique my interest. Oh, and I have a snuffle through the bring 'n' buy at UKGE every year!

Good luck finding those grail games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patience and acceptance.

I have a list of games I want, including games that are OOP/expensive.

I decided though I just couldn't afford to be grabbing these things at any price. So I set my limits on what I'd be happy to pay, and accepted that I mightn't ever get them. There are thousands upon thousands of games I'll never play, let alone own, so, what's a few more, even if they look great? I do have a lot of great games that don't get played enough anyway. It's all good.

All the same,I do a few things to keep an eye out for those rarities I know I'll like. I have a saved search in ebay for used games and check in with that regularly. I'm subscribed on here to a local auction list, and check the market here whenever I check ebay. I check game stores obviously. It doesn't sound like much, but over the last couple of years, I've picked up most of what I wanted back then, at very reasonable prices. A funny thing happened to me when I made the decision, which was, it became less important that I get them, and the list also grew shorter over time as I realised, hey, you know what, I have a game that does this... it might not do it as well, but I enjoy it, and I'll be the difference is marginal (it usually is).

There are a pile of online game sites as well - you can play Macao yucata.de , for instance, and Gingopolis is on another site (I forget which one for the moment) which might help reduce that list for you a bit and get it out of your system.

I would imagine that the used market in the UK is waaaay bigger than it is here. And I've seen a pile of games go through here that I wouldn't have thought would ever turn up, including some that I really wanted, at reasonable prices. So yeah. Just be patient, I'd say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if they're in my FLGS, I buy them there, or from an online retailer (not Amazon - a dedicated boardgames retailer) If I can't find it I find myself patiently waiting for a decent price on the Geekmarket or Ebay. The new Geekshopper tool here on BGG is actually really good for finding ways to buy out-of-print games, as people are sometimes auctioning them 6 pages into Geeklists that I would otherwise never see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sprawlopolis, just go on the ButtonShy website. That's what I did. The shipping cost are expensive then... But got free if you order for more than $50.

I received Sprawlopolis and all of its expansions two weeks ago in France. You shouldn't have any difficulty getting it!

It's not the box edition you might be looking for though.

Otherwise I'm sympathetic to your concerns: I have been trying to buy Win, Lose, or Banana for a while, it's only three cards and they would fit in an envelope just like a postcard, but I found no way to have them shipped to France so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

The good news is that however fabulous they sound, there is no need to own any OOP games. Unless that is, you wish to impress people with your shelves. FLGs and online shops are crammed today with wonderful games to buy. I'd say we're in a golden age of boardgame manufacture.

Owning every game you want is a largely futile pursuit. Not only is it impossible to get enough plays out of every game in a large collection, but you'll never find satisfaction when there's always the next target and the one after that. Eventually, your shelves get filled and you'll need to decide which ones to part with to make room for new ones.

I've owned quite a number of so-called 'grail' games, gathered over the last 20 years or so. Most of them sadly never saw any action. I sold many of them, the rest I've kept for largely sentimental reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A large number of games have one limited print run. Once that sells out they are not available anymore. Some of these games sell out quick enough to encourage a second or more reprints and can remain available for some time, these games are generally the more popular ones.

As for how I buy games, I look at the new releases each year and buy games that interest me, normally at the games fair in Essen. I rarely buy any older games (I have been around long enough to have bought them when they came out).

I also avoid buying games that those who I play regularly have, so while I would have bought Terraforming Mars when it came out, it sold out before I could get a copy at Essen. Someone else then managed to pick up a copy so now I just play that (saves me having to buy all the expansions!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Part of the “problem” is the amazing access to information BGG provides. We are able to learn about games that got small print runs, barely even hit retail, were only sold in one country, etc. that in other hobbies you simply wouldn’t even be aware such exists.

I primarily just look at BGG market for OoP games and shop around online retailers for in-print games.

My motto is no game I haven’t played yet is ever worth hunting down excessively or spending lots of money on. But if I’ve played it, then the amount of effort and money I am willing to spend is calibrated to how much I enjoyed playing it and want to play it more. Expensive OoP games can completely be worth the money in this case, and a much better investment than paying for a new in-print game I haven’t played. And honestly, with the average new game selling for $60-$100, I’m ok spending $60 for a OoP that originally sold for $30. A new game that’s $100, full of expensive components but sucks to play, is a big box of trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the hobby is relatively small in terms of sales, except for a few games that become really popular. So if a publisher is not sure whether a game will sell big, they might do a small run of it. If it sells well, they make money and they can always do another run later if there is additional demand. On the other hand, if it sells poorly, they have a bunch of additional product to store (and storage space is limited) and/or they lose money.

I personally have had success with all of the following purchasing methods for hard to find games:
buying from BGG marketplace
ebay
math trades connected with a convention (Origins)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Black
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
Tigger playing Agricola. He lost!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for all your replies. Actually managed to pre-order Museum through board game prices. Game store in Bury St Edmunds seems worth a visit. I am going to UKGE so will have a good look through the Bring and buy. I was aware that Sprawlopolis could be bought through ButtonShy but I am worried about Import duty as have been caught out this way before.

I think all your comments regarding patience are very wise. I guess that the wonderful resource that BGG is, creates demand for games that can’t always be forfilled. Although, seeking out our grail games is part of the hobby.

I will keep going into FLGS and searching eBay and hope I get lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faites le envoyer chez moi et je l' enverrai par courier normal.

Zerbique wrote:
For Sprawlopolis, just go on the ButtonShy website. That's what I did. The shipping cost are expensive then... But got free if you order for more than $50.

I received Sprawlopolis and all of its expansions two weeks ago in France. You shouldn't have any difficulty getting it!

It's not the box edition you might be looking for though.

Otherwise I'm sympathetic to your concerns: I have been trying to buy Win, Lose, or Banana for a while, it's only three cards and they would fit in an envelope just like a postcard, but I found no way to have them shipped to France so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that many of us go through with this. If it is any comfort this may save you some serious money. We used to feel a little bit of envy hearing about games like Rococo and such but we now realize that many other games can make us feel very happy as gamers as well.

We now wait for reprints or just feel content with what we have.
I hate to admit this, but many games can feel just as satisfying than whatever that unavailable game can.

Watch more recent playthroughs rather than older ones, this way you may keep down the tinge of envy.

And good for you on Museum. I waited for so long for this one and somehow missed the kickstarter. Maybe later on geekmarket.😎

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most FLGS's can and will order anything for you that's currently in print. I wouldn't worry too much about games that are OOP. There's always new games being made.

Also I love researching games but it took me a while and a lot of playing games to find out what type of games I like. I highly recommend joining some meetups or something and get a good tastes for a lot of games. It'll save you from splurging on some OOP game that you came across only to find out you don't like it, even if it's highly rated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impulsively and with pretend money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are all the tricks I can share about buying games.

General tips and advice for getting BETTER deals on game purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 kiss
d10-2
d10-3 soblue thumbsdown shake
d10-4 ninja snore
d10-5 whistle sugar surprise
d10-6 zombie angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ring
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Trying to play darts after a 12 pack: It's fun until someone loses an eye. Then, it's hilarious.
mbmbmb
I shop at the OLGS, and Amazon for generally accessible games and retail preorders. For deluxe versions, usually Kickstarter.

If it's something OOP, I shop either the geek market here at BGG, or even more commonly, I wait to find a copy of what I am looking for in one of the BGG auctions or local flea markets. In both instances you need to be very patient and wait until a reasonably priced copy is put into the market or up for auction. It does happen and good deals can occasionally be found amidst the scalper prices.

Ebay I very rarely buy from. Often what is there is priced well over what you can find at the OLGS or Amazon. Although, I have found a few oop games that were reasonable there. You have to really be very aware of the pricing in this hobby before you go delving into Ebay or the BGG market, or you can get severely burned.

For OOP stuff in addition to BGG market and auctions, I have made some trades of "hot" games for OOP games. Nice to spend $40.00 or $80.00 on a hot game or two and get something that is OOP and otherwise would cost about $150.00 or more in exchange, (hides his copy of Ginkopolis and exp.)

To further this, if I find a really good deal on a hot game, like a daily deal at an OLGS, I might buy several copies. One for myself and a few as trade fodder.

Anyway...that's how I've been doing things over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
d10-1 kiss
d10-2
d10-3 soblue thumbsdown shake
d10-4 ninja snore
d10-5 whistle sugar surprise
d10-6 zombie angry

best couple story hands down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Miller
msg tools
mb
I buy almost all my games at thrift stores. That being the case, I don't really start out with a wish list. I just check the shelves and see what interests me. Every so often, I'll have a game in mind that I'd like to see on the shelves. I had heard about Snake Oil, so when I saw it at the thrift store, I snapped it up. I'm hoping someone will eventually want to donate their copy of Azul, so I can find that in the thrift store.

My gaming group runs a yearly Game-a-thon from 10 am to 10 pm each New Year's Day, and I bring over a hundred of my games to share. Sure, they're not the most recent editions of games, but I also don't worry about damage, since I only pay a few dollars for each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Heemskerk
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
I start by mentioning on Facebook that I'm interested in a specific game. Then I subtly slip in that my birthday or Christmas is coming up. Then I sit back and wait for the game to come to me. Works nearly every time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Weston-super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DerrickGamer wrote:
I start by mentioning on Facebook that I'm interested in a specific game. Then I subtly slip in that my birthday or Christmas is coming up. Then I sit back and wait for the game to come to me. Works nearly every time!

How many birthdays can you squeeze in per year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Auctions.

MetaList for GeekList AUCTIONS is fantastic.

The new GeekShopper tool is here. Needs more options, but it's a start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
Online, second hand, FB, direct from company, gifts, all sorts of places...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.