Hide
12 Posts

Terraforming Mars: Turmoil» Forums » General

Subject: How about random Milestone and Award tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Lee
msg tools
I wonder if Stronghold games will release such kind of tiles officially, what I showed are DIY tiles. I noticed they already include a TR26 milestone in the new expansion, they can consider providing similar tiles for all the other milestones and awards.

We are using this "Milestone and Award randomizer" (see link below) to get a random set of tiles and cover them on the game board.

This would be exciting and interesting that each game would be different. And I'm looking forward to more officially designed new milestone and award tiles released.

https://ssimeonoff.github.io/ma-randomizer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pye
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought the ones from the game crafter and they work great - they fit perfectly over the spaces on the board and are pretty cheap so tbh I don't think I need an official version!

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/milestone-award-tiles-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Festa
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it would be a very useful and appreciated stretch goal / addon whistle

Edit: shipping TCG tiles here in Italy will costs more than 30$ + import taxes + customs fees zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure it would be good in terms of gameplay, the share of M/A over the 3 boards are quite balanced as is (Venus next awards are a totally different milestones anyway and the 25TR is a patch for this expansion)

Some of the milestones/awards combinations would be really one sided and give corpos some royal road for not one but two of them. Say "3 jovians" + "most space tags" or "4 biology icons" +"3 greeneries"

Maybe with some presets of tested combination, that could be cool.

Maybe some colonies or Turmoil oriented new milestones would also be cool (4 colonies for instance)

edit : I checked the randomizer, it is quite cool :) but to have an official version, it would need to find a way to "include" this randomizer in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of them reinventing the wheel (player boards, random milestones/awards) how about some NEW things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random tiles could affect balance too much... Not that the game is perfectly balanced, but I'd rather avoid making it more unbalanced.

It might be good to do what Scythe did with the Triumph track in Rise of Fenris. New tiles which cover all the old awards and milestones with present tested combinations could be neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Instead of them reinventing the wheel (player boards, random milestones/awards) how about some NEW things?

Yeah, it is not like the entire kickstarter is built around a new expansion with a completely new set of mechanics or anything..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Beste
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The developers have previously stated that they tried random awards/milestones but ultimately chose not to pursue that avenue because it could create unfun or unbalanced outcomes. Instead they crafted sets of milestones and awards that were designed to be balanced for a particular board.

Given that, I suspect it would be much more likely that in a future expansion they might release one or more new maps instead.

The new 26 TR chip is just a balance tweak to account for the impact of TR decreasing by 1 every generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lacroix
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kolath wrote:
The developers have previously stated that they tried random awards/milestones but ultimately chose not to pursue that avenue because it could create unfun or unbalanced outcomes. Instead they crafted sets of milestones and awards that were designed to be balanced for a particular board.

Given that, I suspect it would be much more likely that in a future expansion they might release one or more new maps instead.

The new 26 TR chip is just a balance tweak to account for the impact of TR decreasing by 1 every generation.

I must admit, the awards/milestone of the helias board are perfect as they are, since there is no conection between the awards and the milestone. On the contrary, on the base board, landlord is closely linked to gardener+mayor, herefore we don't really play the base board anymore.

Random tiles would tend to lead to some linked awards/milestones and therefore some imbalance in the game (this is still a card game, if you don't get them there is not much we can do...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Beste
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That said, apparently someone created a generator that take into account potential synergies and prevents there from being too many synergies between milestones and awards: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2169733/random-milstones-aw...

Worth checking out. I haven't tried random objectives but I'm personally down to give them a try. Having an app to generate them sounds like the right solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding the app, what it does right now is printing you the synergy score, and then you can choose if you want to play it or not.

It's on my to-do-list to come up with an easier algorithm for synergy-penalization for Simon to implement in the app, so that we don't have such a hard cut-off.

I'm glad that everyone here likes it though, Simon did a great job in creating it, and I spent a lot of time on the math's behind it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 I support this. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.