Terraforming Mars: Colonies» Forums » Variants

Subject: Colonies set up variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Cowlin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I dont know if this has been discussed before but I had an idea for a different set up for colonies and wanted to get your thoughts. It's worth noting we usually play a 3 player game.

So it's really simple You first set up the game and deal 2 colony tiles face up for use in the game. Then players are dealt starting hands prelude cards and corporations to choose from. During this step players are also dealt 2 colony tiles and choose 1 to be active in the game.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohdominator wrote:
Hi I dont know if this has been discussed before but I had an idea for a different set up for colonies and wanted to get your thoughts. It's worth noting we usually play a 3 player game.

So it's really simple You first set up the game and deal 2 colony tiles face up for use in the game. Then players are dealt starting hands prelude cards and corporations to choose from. During this step players are also dealt 2 colony tiles and choose 1 to be active in the game.

What do you think?

Seems both totally reasonable and probably not really necessary--there are already not that many colonies to start with, so with the N+2 colonies in play, you already have, like, half or more of the existing colonies in play at any time, and you can usually look at the available colonies and factor them into your initial plan.

On the upside, yeah, each individual player has a little more control over what colonies are in play.

On the downside, when setting up your initial hand and corp choices, you have less information to use (as there are only 2 colonies in play and 2 in your hand to look at).

I mean, it certainly is unlikely to be particularly disruptive or anything, but I'd generally just go with the regular way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like it. If I recall correctly, this is actually similar to the solo setup with colonies - deal 4 and pick 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cowlin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ernst Foelsche
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've been playing this way for some time. Then again, we draft preludes and starting corps as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.