Toma Putere
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of days ago, I was wandering through the books, games and other wonders of a sci-fi themed festival (a small, local one). At one point, on a shelf, something interesting captured my attention:
It was a game that I’ve never heard of, about gods and the lost world of Atlantis. The most important thing: the game box stated that it has support for one player, and that’s always a big plus for me.
And this is how my adventure with Atlantis: Island of Gods has begun.

I was attracted from the beginning by the small box and accessible price.
Opening the box, I’ve found some good quality components with a very good art on them.
I liked the back of the cards, I liked the 4 cardboard pieces representing the city, but I specially loved the art for the gods.
The temple tokens are… meh, fair. But they are not bad. I only wish they were more detailed or had a different art style.

The manual is well made, I had no problem understanding the game. The player aids have one issue: the player’s actions are described using the game’s iconography. And the iconography, in the first two games I have played… gave me headaches. At one point I’ve quit trying to understand each icon and I just focused on the gameplay.
I have created some player aids that I am using when playing the game, and they helped.
(can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/179793/player-aids-contai...)

At the beginning of the game, the user is randomly given a god (or he chooses one).
During the game, the player tries to build the temples that the god requires in specific locations.
For example, a god can require a level 3 temple in location 1, two level 2 temples in location 2, a level 1 temple in location 3 and a level 2 and a level 1 temple in location 4.
Once a player has completed the temple requirements for his god, the game ends and that player wins.
In the solo mode, the player has 10 turns to achieve the victory condition. And this makes sense as he must build the temples before the island of Atlantis sinks.
Each turn the player can do 5 actions and except one of them, all actions can be repeated any times. I liked this freedom, as you can draw multiple times, activate the location power multiple times, and so on.

I’ve bought the game a couple of days ago and played it every night (only solo), because the setup is fast and it takes about 20-30 minutes to play it solo.
Artwork is good, gameplay is above average, the box is small... yup, it deserves a place in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toma,

Great little review. I was pleased to help RedImp Games with another title and this one, I too, thought played well. Glad you're enjoying it.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.