Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
=== Dryads ===

Character Description
Dryads are not just a myth. If you really go deep inside Terra Mystica's forests, you shall meet them. Oh, they dont look very impressive, but who knows what magic they are capable of ?

Faction Abilities
After taking any power action or special action : gain 2PW.
Special action (once per round) : this action provides the effect of any already occupied power action. Pay the normal power price related to this action. Doesn't work on special actions (only power actions from the main board).

Stronghold
Cost 4W 8C, +2PW income
Immediately : gain 1 Priest.
After taking any power action or special action : gain 2VP.

Other details
SA cost 4W 8C
Start with 2 AIR
Starting power : 5/7/0
All the rest is standard

Expectations
Their ability should make them aim for at least one power action per round, which represents a very minimum of +20PW buff in the game. FAV6, BON1 & BON2 are of course expected to be favorable.
Like always, all types of feedbacks are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
We played 5-7 games with this fraction earlier (1,5 - 2 years ago).
Their strength seemed a little higher than average, they really love FAV6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the design is all but new, I'm just taking the time to create the thread right now. ninja
It's not rare that I have a geekmail seeking for the rules, cause people watch my Gallery an see this board...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a cool faction! In terms of stregth I agree with bobral at first view (of course only relevant if you inted to mix them with standard factions).

- Getting 2 pw back is almost the same as the 1pw discount of Yetis.
- Being able to take one double action right from the start is pretty strong (yetis can't without SH), that's like a guranteed act6 in the first round as soon as there's a little leech.
- Dryad SH is probably more a building for the second half of the game, as it's expensive and economically rather weak, maybe competing with a fav10/fav11 temple/sanctuary.
- With 2 strong basic abilities they're most likely better than the two other green factions who have no economic benefits at the start (besides the 2pw power difference, which is compensated for acter the first special action)?
- Granted that yetis have the disadvantage of being an ice faction, I would expect Dryads to be stronger then them?

A standard Dryad opening could look like
- temple with fav6 (step in air or water grants a total of 3pw)
- pick either act6 or possibly also act2+act5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interest SpaceTrucker.
You might be right that they are slighlty OP, I admit they lack of playtesting with 4 strong players at the table.

About the comparison with Yetis (you meant "weaker" right?) I would argue that
E you need the power first to get the action, but it is almost the same, yes.
E Yetis start with 0/12/0, have better TPs, discount on dig upgrade, SA and SH size of 4, +1W on 8th Dwelling.

The main issue might be the +2PW for a power action, which is a bit too much. I tested it with +1PW, but it becomes pretty anecdoctical.

I can think about two possible changes :
either A) switch +2VP with +2PW between SH and faction abilities (and maybe adjust SH cost, and/or get +1VP instead of +2VP)

or B) nerf their initial power. Like you noticed, in current version it's immediately compensated on round 1. Maybe they sould start with very few power, making it improbable to get ACT6 in round 1.
What about 10/2/0 or even 12/0/0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grovast wrote:
You might be right that they are slighlty OP, I admit they lack of playtesting with 4 strong players at the table.

About the comparison with Yetis (you meant "weaker" right?) I would argue that
E you need the power first to get the action, but it is almost the same, yes.
E Yetis start with 0/12/0, have better TPs, discount on dig upgrade, SA and SH size of 4, +1W on 8th Dwelling.

I thought that Dryads were stronger then Yetis. Without SH the Dryads definitly better.
Probably the comparision with green factions is easier (as the disadvantange of being an ice faction is tough to quantify).

Grovast wrote:
The main issue might be the +2PW for a power action, which is a bit too much. I tested it with +1PW, but it becomes pretty anecdoctical.

I can think about two possible changes :
either A) switch +2VP with +2PW between SH and faction abilities (and maybe adjust SH cost, and/or get +1VP instead of +2VP)

or B) nerf their initial power. Like you noticed, in current version it's immediately compensated on round 1. Maybe they sould start with very few power, making it improbable to get ACT6 in round 1.
What about 10/2/0 or even 12/0/0?

I agree that the main ability, power per special action, should stay strong and meaningful, so reducing it to +1 is not an option.
Counting 1 vp per action right from the start sounds fiddly, I prefer reducing the starting power sounds good, maybe 10/2/0 is a good point to start. thumbsup

For the SH, I'm wondering why it grants the extra priest... shall this make early SH play a bit smoother? Not sure if it is really needed, as the can safely take a pretty cheap/efficient act2 anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:
For the SH, I'm wondering why it grants the extra priest... shall this make early SH play a bit smoother? Not sure if it is really needed, as the can safely take a pretty cheap/efficient act2 anyway?
Yes, the immediate Priest is an attempt to make it a bit more attractive early on. A Priest in round 2/3 can make a difference for an extra shipping upgrade or cult reward that snowballs, while it matters less in round 5/6 (even though always good to take).
Its by no mean essential to the design of this faction ; I just felt like the SH needed something funnier than just points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.