Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Simultaneous build and command phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried to do away with the build and command phases entirely? And if so, how did it work out? So then you simply have your player turn and you can mix and match building and giving orders just how you like it.

The most obvious advantage is that you can explore and colonize and build all in the same turn. But is that something bad? Eggy would or wouldn't this a good idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would change the game in a bad way.

For one thing, you could colonize a planet next to a rival, build a starbase, build ships, and attack all in one turn.

I'm sure there are other issues, but this is the first one that comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
I think that would change the game in a bad way.

For one thing, you could colonize a planet next to a rival, build a starbase, build ships, and attack all in one turn.

I'm sure there are other issues, but this is the first one that comes to mind.

What he said.
A very bad idea that could potentially wreck the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Has anyone tried to do away with the build and command phases entirely? And if so, how did it work out? So then you simply have your player turn and you can mix and match building and giving orders just how you like it.

The most obvious advantage is that you can explore and colonize and build all in the same turn. But is that something bad? Eggy would or wouldn't this a good idea?

It maybe could work to speed up game play, but once First Contact is made i think you need to go back to keeping the 2 phases intact or else it could get out of hand.

Throw in the Borg, and you might as well beg to be assimilated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, this is an "age old" conversation that goes back to the early months of the game. Just go back to the early forum pages and do some browsing... if my memory serves, you should find many threads about this exact topic... both in the 'General' and 'Variants' sections.

And if I remember correctly again, there was some discussion about how the developers tested several different turn structures, with the turn structure as published coming closest to meeting design parameters while satisfying player agency. At least that's how I remember the explanation being, in a nutshell.

The bottom line is that each player's Build Phase must be informed by the previous player's Command Phase. When browsing the aforementioned forum pages, you'll also find mention by many players that they did/do a simultaneous Build phase, then took turns executing the Command Phase. It seems to have worked for them, given their advocation for such a change to the turn structure. But given that the design parameters are again for each player's Build phase to be informed by previous players' Command Phases, they're not playing the game as intended. Rather or not that's OK, is a purely subjective matter for each person to consider. There are no "game police", after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing to keep in mind is that only the top X systems in the deck are stacked as planets. After that it is random. Allowing people to do things out of phase could upset that balance and lead to someone getting a bunch of planets and someone else getting screwed with a couple phenomenon or the like right off the bat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.