Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you choose not to take control of a territory if say for example you quell a rebellion in another players home territory with whom you happen to be in an alliance?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dennis
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mb
This would be covered in the diplomatic section and pacts.

A passage pact allows one player to move their units through an opponents territory freely. Without this pact in place, the moving player would have to stop each turn as it moves because it is technically entering an opponents territory.

The rules are a little unclear regarding offensive/defensive pacts. No freedom of passage is implied in the wording of these pacts but, of course, free passage could be written into the pacts to assist in getting aid from your ally.

We play to the rule that, unless a specific pact states otherwise, the rules as written apply:

"Important: Pacts are not implicit; if something is unclear or missing, then players follow standard game rules.
Note: If no end (i.e. number of turns) is specified, the agree-ment will last for the whole game."

- from pg 25 rulebook.

So, in your example, you can quell a rebellion in another player's home territory. If a passage pact is in play, then the player who owns the territory retains control and can raise taxes etc..

If there is no pact, technically the foreign player has entered an opponents territory which automatically triggers the 'at war' status. Any HP penalties will have to be applied (for non-declaration, pact rupture etc..)

But, diplomatic discussions can take place at any time, so make the alliance and you're good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

I get the impression that Diplomatic Agreements can be very broad. A player can for instance allow another player passage through his territory without actually negotiating a pact beforehand, I feel like it could simply be allowed informally.

Likewise, I feel like it's in the spirit of the game to unilaterally choose to not take the other players territory as described in the example from my first post above, unless the owner of the territory insisted it be taken perhaps? Really, you're just foregoing an HP to not make an enemy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.