Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New to the game, haven't played yet. Question on ability cards about melee and ranged. If you have a ranged weapon and your ability card just says "Attack 3" and no ranged number under it then that means only a melee weapon can be use with this attack? And visa versa with a melee weapon and an "Attack 3" with a "Ranged X"?

And for the basic attack, can you punch someone if all you have is a ranged weapon equipped and still use the attack 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
toyboy101 wrote:
New to the game, haven't played yet. Question on ability cards about melee and ranged. If you have a ranged weapon and your ability card just says "Attack 3" and no ranged number under it then that means only a melee weapon can be use with this attack? And visa versa with a melee weapon and an "Attack 3" with a "Ranged X"?

And for the basic attack, can you punch someone if all you have is a ranged weapon equipped and still use the attack 2?

Items will specify if they are for an attack, a ranged attack or a melee attack. (They will also specify attack vs attack action)

You don't need a weapon equipped to make an attack, so you can always do the base 2 melee attack.

Generally speaking you will not be using an item on most of your attacks, just the ability card that you played, this is different than a lot of other games where you need a weapon for each attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don’t need any weapons to use your cards.
Weapons give you bonuses when you use them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some pretty fundamental rules being missed here, i'm afraid. For characters, the ability cards simply do what they say irrespective of whether you're carrying a sword, a bow and arrow or an umbrella.

'Weapons', generally referred to as items are spent or consumed for a specific purpose and may enhance abilities in certain ways. There are also some items that are in effect for whole scenarios but none of these affect your ability to do a basic attack which is always melee and always 'attack 2'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Madmullet wrote:
or an umbrella.

spoilers! jeez, thanks alot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh...that's different than what I thought. So if you have a ranged attack ability card then you can do the ranged attack even without a specific ranged weapon item card? And if you had a ranged weapon item card you could add it to the ranged ability card to enhance that attack? And so on for melee?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toyboy101 wrote:
Oh...that's different than what I thought. So if you have a ranged attack ability card then you can do the ranged attack even without a specific ranged weapon item card? And if you had a ranged weapon item card you could add it to the ranged ability card to enhance that attack? And so on for melee?

You could do the attack stated on the ability card if you were carrying no items whatsoever.

The item cards have very specific usages that can be applied to certain abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madmullet wrote:
toyboy101 wrote:

You could do the attack stated on the ability card if you were carrying no items whatsoever.

Thank you, I never realized that just from reading the rule book. I guess I'm conditioned to other games where a weapon is always needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toyboy101 wrote:
Madmullet wrote:
toyboy101 wrote:

Thank you, I never realized that just from reading the rule book. I guess I'm conditioned to other games where a weapon is always needed.
the rules never tell you you need a weapon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The items you equip don't really represent the weapons that you are using to make your regular attacks (whether those are the attacks listed on the ability cards or the default attack 2 that any card's top action can be used for instead of what is printed).

The items generally represent special moves or magical enhancements. Otherwise you'd be able to use the attributes of your equipped items more than just once per rest cycle or once per scenario.

Your character carries other weapons to make their regular attacks, which are represented by the ability cards themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrystian Musiał
msg tools
In the melee/ranged topic then
1) Mindthief has augments that improve his melee attacks
2) If I make attack that has 2 range but I'm in melee range do I apply the augment or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A ranged attack stays a ranged attack even if you attack someone In range 1 (with disadvantage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the action you're using has the word "Range" (and the bow/arrow symbol) anywhere in it, then any attacks generated by that action are considered Ranged. Even if the ability is something like "do such-and-such to an enemy/obstacle/whatever within Range X, then perform an Attack against all enemies adjacent to that enemy/obstacle/whatever"; those attacks would be Ranged attacks, because the other part of that action has a Range.
This means that any such attacks that are performed against enemies that are also adjacent to your character would be done at Disadvantage (and it also means that the Mindthief's Augments, or any other ability or item that only applies to Melee attacks could not be used with these attacks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.