Subject: Question regarding cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Lee
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played through TM only a few times so far and have a question on something I've run across on a couple of the cards. I apologize if this has been asked and answered on another post.

I noticed that a couple of the cards say something like "Increase temperature once and terraforming rating twice." I'm at work and going by memory, so I can't remember which cards or the exact wording. My question is - would my TR go up three times in this case (once for the temperature and twice for the times specifically mentioned on the card)? The reason I ask is; on most other cards that allow you to increase temperature, oxygen, or place an ocean tile, there is no mention of increasing your TR, as that is obviously already implied by the act of terraforming.

That being said, am I correct in interpreting the cards that mention increasing your TR that the TR increase is IN ADDITION to the (otherwise implied) TR increase you will get by increasing the temp, oxygen or placing ocean tiles?

I apologize if my wording is confusing. I will try to find the exact cards in question when I get home from work and clarify my post later, if that will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, any action that you do that increase temp, o2 or place oceans you always get tr.

In this case, you would get 3 tr. 1 for the temp and 2 extra from the card.

I know what card you are talking about, i just not good with names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent M.
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, your TR would go up 3 times.

Edit: the only subtlety in the cards is one that makes you put a forest on the board AND level up the oxygen. The wording is ambiguous; the oxygen level should only rise by 1 (from putting a forest on the board).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The card is Nitrogen-Rich Asteroid ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is worded/displayed this way because it can still be played at a point after the heat is maxed out. In that instance you would still get 2 TR bump, but since the temp can’t be increased, that would not apply.

Other cards play in a similar way, the other card mentioned, you can still play the project for the greenery tile, but if O2 is at max, you don’t get the O2 bump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
ClutchTheSword wrote:
That being said, am I correct in interpreting the cards that mention increasing your TR that the TR increase is IN ADDITION to the (otherwise implied) TR increase you will get by increasing the temp, oxygen or placing ocean tiles?

Yes.

The cards that directly increase your TR rating use the little TR flag symbol; when you see those, you directly increase your TR. When you increase O2, or the temperature, or place an ocean, you *also* increase your TR, and the cards don't generally remind you to increase your TR when you do something that increases your TR.

So the card in question (Nitrogen Rich Asteroid)increases your TR by +2, and also increases the temperature by 1 step, which *also* increases your TR by +1. So if the temperature is not already maximum when you play this card, your TR will end up going up by +3. If the temperature is already at maximum when you play this card, you still get the +2 TR, but not the extra one from the temperature bump, which doesn't happen.

As a quick aside, generally speaking, it is helpful to title your question posts a little more specifically (as opposed to "Question regarding cards"; maybe something like "Raising TR and also Temperature?" or something); it makes finding answers to questions like this easier for other folks in the future :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lee
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
The card is Nitrogen-Rich Asteroid ...

Yes, that's the one. Thank you! And thank you all for confirming my interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.