Nikola Statkov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia City Province
flag msg tools
In the Rulebook should I explain the custom game setup at the beginning along with the default setup or should I create a separate section at the end of rulebook?

There are areas where players can and put pieces & areas where they cannot. Also, there is a specific order which players should follow when putting pieces. So maybe that makes the custom setup a bit more advanced & I should put it at the back of the rulebook so as not to confuse newbies..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael Corns
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What do you want to know?
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is at the beginning. Keep like items in the same area. As long as it's clearly labeled or easy to differentiate that it's a custom setup via the head or page color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this depends mostly on how you want to market the custom version. Is this the full/advanced version of the rules that players should "graduate" to once they know what they're doing, or is this a spin-off/variant that players can safely ignore if they're happy with the regular rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Statkov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia City Province
flag msg tools
Antistone wrote:
I think this depends mostly on how you want to market the custom version. Is this the full/advanced version of the rules that players should "graduate" to once they know what they're doing, or is this a spin-off/variant that players can safely ignore if they're happy with the regular rules?

Inexperienced players can make mistakes when custom-setting up their pieces. The regular set up is great & the pieces are well protected. A custom setup is not 'better', but rather it is just different. You can setup your pieces more defensively or more offensively. So there is no "graduation" to knowing how to set them up better, just differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The question isn't really "how are the rules different?", it's "how do you want your players to feel about the different rules?" How you organize your rulebook is an opportunity for you to influence players' perceptions about the various parts of your game.

A pretty substantial chunk of your playerbase is likely to follow your recommendation about how to play--even if that recommendation is only implied, and whether or not you realize that you implied it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end or in a separate book, wherever you present variations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how you frame it. Is the custom set up and alternative version or and advanced version of your game? If it's advanced, put it in the same area with your original set up, so players can keep it in mind and know to graduate to that version once they're comfortable. If it's an alternate version that is more about changing up the rules rather than scaling to player skill, then I would stick that at the end. (I should say that I'm biased and don't care for alternative rules, so my placement choice results from that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If there are other rules that go with the alternate setup, then all the changes could go at the end. If it only is an alternate setup, keep it with the main rules, but separate in text box or shaded area or something to really set it off. I’ve played games that have only a couple rule changes for a 2 player version, but are in a separate section and a pain to flip back and forth to try and catch everything. Some that have full changes in every phase of the game, separate rules makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Schrimpl
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My vote is the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Statkov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia City Province
flag msg tools
great advice, guys, thank you a lot! I have decided to put it at the end - it is 1 page exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.