mike jones
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So exactly who are you playing as in this game? The first page of the rulebook says that players are "power brokers"but then you get assigned house tiles with pictures of Richard III and Henry VII.

Are you playing as them? If so, then when you win the game,YOU should become King.

Yet the rules further say that when your house wins a turn the Royal Heir is crowned King and the player gets five victory points from a grateful King.

So again, who exactly are the players playing as?

Ministers? Councilors? The Illuminati?

Another thing.

The game is played in 5 turns. Ok, cool.
The house that wins the majority of turns captures the throne.

HOWEVER.....

Each turn is divided up in decades. So if ,say, House York wins the first 3 turns i.e decades i.e 30 years then House Lancaster wins the last 2 turns i.e decades i.e 20 years.... House York wins?

🤔

Lancaster: "Yes, we've won again! A Lancastrian King has ruled for the last 20 years! Long live House Lancaster!

York: Ah, actually, we've won. Sorry.

Lancaster: "....what?

York: "Well,see, we've ruled the 30 years prior to your rule, so.... majority rules."

Lancaster stares dumbstruck.

York: So if you'll just hand over the crown?"

🤨

Anyway, great game, love it to death.

Just wondering, that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Very good. I'll give you one white cube to stay on my side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Peterson
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am stretching to rationalize the points but...

I think "powerbrokers" likely means that you are playing as wealthy families with vested interests in what happens. However as you say who winds up being king only is worth 5 points so it is likely you are just a family who gains benefit from the family becoming king, not someone directly benefiting as much as a Councilor or Minister.

Winning each period while a show of military and physical control is also an abstraction of support built throughout the country. You are not king because you hold castles bu because of the groundwork of support created by you controlling areas and building relationships with powerful families in those areas. If this is the framework then even if Lancaster has held the most castles and been militarily and politically successful in the last half of the war - they were fighting a losing battle as York had gained enough support in the country in the first 3 rounds so that was only a matter of time before they were the rulers. It is definitely a wonky abstraction but one that makes some level of sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike jones
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found in another post that it doesn't matter what house wins the final round because the players win individually due to victory points.

Usually the player or players of the house who has won the most are leading on the victory track.

After posting this I remembered that.

The Parliament Phase and counting the votes to see which house wins the turn caused my brain fartage.

Anyway, like I said, trivial stuff that I just thought about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.