Hide
17 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Obligatory "Just got this game" post - advice please! =D rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luc Gratton
msg tools
My girlfriend and I have played a hell of a lot of Descent, and I wanted to upgrade to a deeper game that actually focuses on co-operative play. I've opened the box and skimmed the rules so far (I will read a lot more in-depth later today and probably watch the rules video too). I'm just kinda wondering how important the team comp is, especially during our first session? If there's only two of us for now, can we survive as, say, the scoundrel and mind thief? Or will we enjoy the game much better if one of us takes the Brute or Cragheart or something like that.

I'm very excited for the game, and I will probably be posting here several times over the next month or two haha. There's a lot to take in. It's a bit intimidating, but I'm guessing everyone probably felt that at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are group compositions which are harder to play then others, especially in 2 player
If you look around a bit you probably find some threads about them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Young-Tomlin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play full co-op there is a separate grid for setting up scenarios as the game by the standard rules uses closed information so you cannot share card information, i.e you can't tell other players what you are doing on your turn (in specific detail with your chosen cards). You can use the open information variant which makes the game harder if you want to share information and have a fully open game. It's all in the rulebook so you'll understand once you fully read it.

Talking about character combos, most characters work well together and the Mindthief and the Scoundrel work well for two players. The only basic character that I wouldn't recommend for two players in the tinkerer and that is more a support class than a damage dealer and there are not as many enemies for two players.

Good luck! It's a wonderful experience once you get to know it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Berro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
In my view the only two-character combination which I would steer people away from when they first play the game is Scoundrel with Spellweaver because they both have too few hit points and that combination is not as able to cope at level 1 for new players. Scoundrel and Mind Thief should be fine.

With that said, many people new to the game have a difficult time with the strategy and getting the rules right during the first scenario, so playing it on "easy" mode (one level lower for the enemies) might be a good approach especially if not being successful on the scenario for the first try. Scenario 1 is not a tutorial or an easy scenario, and sometimes that can surprise people. Still, it's a lot of fun and you can learn quickly what strategies work and don't work.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weeks
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already done so take a look at the Gloomhaven helper App for either Apple or Android. In my opinion this app makes the game so much faster I wouldn't play without it. I also use the GloomhavenSaveGame app for Android. This one helps keep track of which scenario(s) are available to your party. It also tracks things like prosperity, reputation and just about every other aspect of the game. And finally I use the GloomsteR app to help keep the rooms hidden until we open each door. One "drawback" to using the included scenario book is that you get to see exactly where the mons, traps, treasure, etc. are before going into the rooms. With this app it hides all those details until you tap on the room. This helps keep a little mystery in each scenario for us. I know we can see which tiles are being used but at least we don't know where everything is located until that door opens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not that familiar with all the starting classes but in a general sense look at two things:

* Hit points
* Card limit

You probably don't want to play two characters that are both low on both these. Hit points more so than card limit since you can control card consumption much better than damage. Though having a high card limit can compensate some lack of hit points as you can burn a hand card to ignore one attack. Also the spellweaver is weird in terms of card limit since she can retrieve all her burned cards once per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick White
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found experimenting with characters is the best way to play. I currently have two parties in the same world that are both 2 characters. me playing one party solo and the second with my wife and I. currently i am a cragheart and she is a tinker. My solo group is a brute and mindtheif currently. The key is learning the strengths of each character and how they play. orignally I had a hard time playing mindtheif, now he is proably one of the most powerful.

Just experiment have fun. that starting classes are all available try them all out see what you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Gratton
msg tools
Thanks for the responses so far!

I think that we are thinking of going Cragheart and Mindthief in the beginning.

I guess my other question is (and I know this has been asked a hundred times), the game is meant to be played with a few different parties, made up of different people right? I would probably have two parties - one with me and two of my friends, and one with me and my girlfriend. I think this might be the tricky part, because when I played Descent, I had a ridiculous amount of parties going (me with friend A, me with friend B, me with gf and friend B, me solo, etc). I'm guessing if I split up the parties between all these different iterations of possible characters, we might never get anywhere haha. I guess it sounds like it's okay if one person is missing a couple times, since parties will always have a different assortment of character levels later on. And the game seems to balance itself accordingly.

By my understanding, it's okay to have two or three separate parties (my third "party" would be me solo maybe), because each party can sort of unlock things for the other party in future sessions. It sounds like the one single problem is the enhancement stickers, which will remain on whatever card until the end of time haha. From what I've read online, people just sort of deal with this, since it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Anatak15 wrote:
the game is meant to be played with a few different parties, made up of different people right?

I wouldn't say that. The game is *MEANT* to be played in a single campaign, with players and parties that can come and go. With additional bookkeeping you can play multiple campaigns simultaneously.

Anatak15 wrote:
From what I've read online, people just sort of deal with this, since it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

If people are running multiple campaigns, or don't want to go full legacy, they use sleeves and put the stickers on those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
youngtomlin wrote:
If you want to play full co-op there is a separate grid for setting up scenarios as the game by the standard rules uses closed information so you cannot share card information, i.e you can't tell other players what you are doing on your turn. You can use the open information variant which makes the game harder if you want to share information and have a fully open game. It's all in the rulebook so you'll understand once you fully read it.

Talking about character combos, most characters work well together and the Mindthief and the Scoundrel work well for two players. The only basic character that I wouldn't recommend for two players in the tinkerer and that is more a support class than a damage dealer and there are not as many enemies for two players.

This isn't true.
You can't say "I'm playing 'Card Name' at Initiative 17"

You can say "I'm going early, moving to this hex preferably, and killing these 2 guys if my modifiers hit right."

I would also disagree with the tinkerer, it can be played as damage or support.
In one of my campaigns we had a very successful tinkerer/brute combo, because the tinkerer could forgo support and go nearly full damage build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Gratton
msg tools
kgk4569 wrote:
Anatak15 wrote:
the game is meant to be played with a few different parties, made up of different people right?

I wouldn't say that. The game is *MEANT* to be played in a single campaign, with players and parties that can come and go. With additional bookkeeping you can play multiple campaigns simultaneously.

So with regard to this point - the people I play with most are my girlfriend, and my two other friends. Does it make sense then to just have one party? Sometimes all four of us will play together, or sometimes only two or three of us. I guess that could work. Might be a bit rough if someone misses the first scenario of some storyline or whatever, but if that's the best way to play, I'm sure we can make it work.

I'll probably avoid playing a solo campaign as much as possible haha. The more I read and think about it, the more it seems we should just have the single party setup, and just play with whoever is available. So gf and I can advance as cragheart and mindthief, then the next session, my buddies can jump in (probably as tinker and spellweaver or whatever). And as characters retire, just create new characters as we see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that works great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Young-Tomlin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
youngtomlin wrote:
If you want to play full co-op there is a separate grid for setting up scenarios as the game by the standard rules uses closed information so you cannot share card information, i.e you can't tell other players what you are doing on your turn. You can use the open information variant which makes the game harder if you want to share information and have a fully open game. It's all in the rulebook so you'll understand once you fully read it.

This isn't true.
You can't say "I'm playing 'Card Name' at Initiative 17"

You can say "I'm going early, moving to this hex preferably, and killing these 2 guys if my modifiers hit right."

I would also disagree with the tinkerer, it can be played as damage or support.
In one of my campaigns we had a very successful tinkerer/brute combo, because the tinkerer could forgo support and go nearly full damage build.

Which is why my post says "Card Information" which is exactly what you have stated. The open information variant is exactly that. It's completely open. So you can say for example. I'm going to use Perverse Edge and Frigid Apparition with my Mindtheif on this turn. I'll make my post more clear to say this. It's clear the OP wants a full-co-op experience and the standard way to play this game is not full-co-op. It's not a massive restriction but however you want to play it.

Also, I'm glad that you are using the tinkerer but I wouldn't IMO use it for two players. It's just not the most effective damage build when there are so many other choices out there when there are so few enemies. Especially when this player is new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Just to be clear, in the main campaign, you can't do scenarios with only one character. "Solo play" means one person controlling more than one character.

There are also some solo scenarios you can find online and print and play. You and your group are far from being able to play solo scenarios, as they require Level 5 characters and a party that has already seen two retirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Gratton
msg tools
kleep wrote:
Just to be clear, in the main campaign, you can't do scenarios with only one character. "Solo play" means one person controlling more than one character.

There are also some solo scenarios you can find online and print and play. You and your group are far from being able to play solo scenarios, as they require Level 5 characters and a party that has already seen two retirements.

Yeah I do understand that point haha =D.
After playing the first two scenarios last night, I think that there's way too much going on for me to really play a solo scenario. I'm having trouble managing my resources controlling one guy. I'm not ready to control two separate guys haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
msg tools
Cragheart/Mindthief is what my brother and I did to start our campaign and we liked it a lot. The Cragheart might end up bonking the Mindthief from time to time but it's a good party with a lot going on.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redfishh wrote:
The Cragheart might end up bonking the Mindthief from time to time

?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.