Subject: new to the game, Why the errata/reprint of flame strike? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only just started but I have to put in a lot of effort to get my spellweaver XP. It feels like the brute and tinkerer in my group have XP on every card and they are repeatable. It's really hard to pull off 2 max attacks with Fire Orbs and Impaling Eruption. While doable, it's tough to pull of mana bolts for xp. When I saw that Flame Strike once has a 1XP on it and now it doesn't, it made me wonder why.

Was this card being massively exploited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
I don't know about Flame Strike, but I had very little issue getting a lot of XP out of the Spellweaver when I played him. I would say the number of XP before mission bonus was between 15 and 23.

That said, I was playing solo with Cragheart and Mindthief, so there was often leftover Elements laying around to be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donnyrides wrote:
It feels like the brute and tinkerer in my group have XP on every card and they are repeatable.
In 9 levels and 31 cards, the Tinkerer has exactly one non-lost action with XP, and it's a bad, very limited action on a bad level 3 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
donnyrides wrote:
It feels like the brute and tinkerer in my group have XP on every card and they are repeatable.

It may feel that way, but Tinkerer has even fewer XP-gaining abilities that are repeatable than the Spellweaver. At Level 1, he has none. He gains exactly one as he levels up, at Level 3, except it still has other requirements and it's extremely situational.

As far as Spellweaver is concerned, don't sleep on Frost Armor (bottom) or Aid from the Ether (bottom). Both are good actions, both grant an almost guaranteed 2 XP, twice per scenario. That's 8 XP right there, not even considering Fire Orbs and Impaling Eruption. If you really want to farm XP, you can use Hardened Spikes (top) too, but that one is more difficult to use well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, most of the Spellweaver's XP comes for Loss actions.
But each of those actions typically gets her 2, 3, or even 4 XP.
And she can do each of those Loss actions twice with the help of Reviving Ether.
Much of Gloomhaven is about choices. Do you burn the Loss action to be more effective now, but reduce your overall longevity or do you try to grind it out with the non-loss actions?
Do you concentrate on gaining XP or do you try to pick the "most effective action" even though it doesn't generate XP? Do you go for loot or do you concentrate on completing the scenario?

You can't do everything, so often you have to choose what you place priority on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points. I guess, I'm not as concerned with the other classes XP gain as much as why flame strike was xp nerfed.

So far my play style has been about 50% best for team, 40% ok for team but is really good for my player progression and 10% pure greed. Jump 8 on a chest then cloaking was too good to pass up. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spellweaver is widely considered to have the fastest XP gain of any starting class. As for why the XP on Flame Strike was nerfed, probably because her XP gain was flat-out ridiculous before the nerf. It also helps make the top half of the card more appealing. (You'll still usually prefer the bottom half, though.) Just my guess, or course; you'd have to ask the designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the spellweaver and aside from maybe the scoundrel (and possibly the brute which hasn't seen any action yet) I've consistenly made the most XP in pretty much every scenario.

Both Mana Bolt and Forst Armor let you chip off one XP repeatedly given an available element - no burns requird. Your burns are even better: Fire Orb consistently gives 2-3 XP, Impaling eruption can do up to 4 XP! (Though not as reliably) Your summon is worth 2 XP and while fragile it has decent damage and range. Crackling Air and Hardened Spikes are both worth another 2 XP.

And to top it all off you can do each of these things TWICE! If you fill your deck exclusively with XP cards then that's up to ~ 24 XP all while doing pretty decent damage.

And the higher levels continue that trend: Icy Blast is another 2 XP that can dish some serious pain. Forked Beam - repeatable dual attack with cherry on top. Chromatic Explosion? Hell yeah! Burning avatar, another 2XP summon that also produces a free element right before your turn. Frozen Night - a high powered clumped alternative to impaling erruption. And so on...

Spellveaver: Do loads of damage, get tons of XP, retrieve, repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Kempeth wrote:
(and possibly the brute which hasn't seen any action yet)

As the Brute increases in level, he gains non-loss XP cards. By 6th-7th level, it's possible to earn a point each turn. By the time I retired mine, I was earning the most XP in the group each session (Brute, Scoundrel, Mindthief, and Spellweaver).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:
Kempeth wrote:
(and possibly the brute which hasn't seen any action yet)

As the Brute increases in level, he gains non-loss XP cards. By 6th-7th level, it's possible to earn a point each turn. By the time I retired mine, I was earning the most XP in the group each session (Brute, Scoundrel, Mindthief, and Spellweaver).

In fairness, Brute has good non-loss xp-earners at Level 1/X. 'Leaping Cleave', 'Skewer', 'Balanced Measure' and 'Spare Dagger' are all easy repeaters. He's a comfortable xp-per.-turn every step of the way and can gain xp off monster-turns with 'Juggernaut' and 'Warding Strength'.

I played Brute with a team of Scoundrel and Cragheart and it was crazy how far ahead he got with xp-accumulation.

donnyrides wrote:
I've only just started but I have to put in a lot of effort to get my spellweaver XP. It feels like the brute and tinkerer in my group have XP on every card and they are repeatable. It's really hard to pull off 2 max attacks with Fire Orbs and Impaling Eruption. While doable, it's tough to pull of mana bolts for xp. When I saw that Flame Strike once has a 1XP on it and now it doesn't, it made me wonder why.

Was this card being massively exploited?

Back to topic and 'Flame Strike' is nothing like Spellweaver's best chance of gaining xp. It was a card I pretty quickly cut for most scenarios at quite an early level. Certainly not a major game-changing edit between editions.

It should be pretty easy to get a lot of xp as Spellweaver for reasons others have mentioned. 6xp from Fire Orbs alone is pretty easily done given the flexibility in its targeting and Mana Bolt takes very little planning to get an extra repeatable 1xp from aswell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenaras wrote:
Spellweaver is widely considered to have the fastest XP gain of any starting class. As for why the XP on Flame Strike was nerfed, probably because her XP gain was flat-out ridiculous before the nerf. It also helps make the top half of the card more appealing. (You'll still usually prefer the bottom half, though.) Just my guess, or course; you'd have to ask the designers.

I think this probably hits the reasoning. Spellweaver can generate huge amounts of XP without it. It was probably ridiculous amounts with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.