Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Playing with 5? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander McKinney
Bahamas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was scanning through a thread where people mentioned playing Gaia Project with 5.

Have many people tried this, and if so, how was it?

The maximum of 4 rather than 5 is one of the factors keeping it out of my collection. I’ve already got quite a few excellent 4 player games, but excellent 5 player games seem to be thinner on the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
I think the current map is too small for 5p personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lexifer wrote:
... but excellent 5 player games ...

These aren't the Droids you are looking for sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jogn Co
Canada
flag msg tools
We played twice at 5 players. We played according to the discussion found here. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1877088/information-and-var...

So we made 2 more space sectors tiles, one more of each tech tiles and 1 more of each federation.

It was working really well but a bit long. We are planning for another 5 players game this friday. I cannot comment too much on balance since I played only a few time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play Terra Mystica instead whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
Bahamas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McDood wrote:
We played twice at 5 players. We played according to the discussion found here. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1877088/information-and-var...

So we made 2 more space sectors tiles, one more of each tech tiles and 1 more of each federation.

It was working really well but a bit long. We are planning for another 5 players game this friday. I cannot comment too much on balance since I played only a few time.

Thanks for the link to that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
Bahamas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
Just play Terra Mystica instead whistle

I’ll admit this is probably the best suggestion. I just like the look of the Gaia Project Tech Tracks over the Terra Mystica Cult Tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K O
msg tools
McDood wrote:

James proposed a way on how to shorten the game in another thread by essentially skipping the first round, maybe you want to try it:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
To shorten the game try these not playtested idea:

1. You will start on +1 homeplanet OR gaia planet (must spend a starting QIC if you use this) and your starting resources.
2. Place a Research Lab on the first placement to take any tech tile (gain any instant resources) plus advancement and Mines on the additional placements in rubber band fashion: Lab 1, 2, 3, 4; 1st Mine 4, 3, 2, 1, Swarm/Ivits Lab; 2nd Mine 1, 2, 3, 4; Xeno 3rd Mine; Swarm/Ivit PI.
3. Start at 15vp.
4. Take 1st round booster as normal.
5. Take R1 income then play as usual except play 5 rounds instead of 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
It could work with 5p too. You definitely need to add 2, maybe 3 more sectors that give +1 home planet for each type. It's time for Lantids and Xenos to shine in 5p!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark_lenders
Italy
flag msg tools
it's playable in 5 players

of course the competition for each action/planet will be higher and at the end of the game every planet on the map will be colonized

you may also lose access to some base technology tiles if everybody wants them, but normally this doesn't cause problems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could stretch it for six for the unexpected player that showed up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fizban Yan
Australia
Brisbane City
Queensland
flag msg tools
killerjoe1962 wrote:
You could stretch it for six for the unexpected player that showed up...

In theory you can stretch it for seven since there are 7 ore tokens, 7 knowledge tokens, 14 credit tokens, 10 boosters etc... Seems it has prepared for 7 players but the game would be drastically boring as most of the planets will be colonised in round 3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Shepherd
msg tools
I tried playing w 5 players a number of times and finally settled on a pretty good version without having to add any new space tiles and as few additional tweaks as possible. My philosophy goes like this:

Since space tiles 1,2,3,4 are the most dense, they should be placed as far from each other as possible, so I place those in the 4 corners

- assume the board is in standard form 3,4,3 (tile A is the upper left and tile J is lower right) then the corners would be A,C,H,J

and since tiles 9 and 10 are the least dense, they go in the center. This maintains a certain randomness and at the same time making it equally hard to get to all planets.

I also toyed with a bunch of other space constructions like making a hole in the center and a triangle shape but none of them seemed as good or as balanced.

I made 9 extra building tiles as well so that every player can have one.

I also made 6 extra federation tiles. It is a bit more than proportion dictates but I couldnt see any better way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.