Subject: Attacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tadeo montalvo
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone else interprets this differently or not but during an attack for example I use Aragorn with a sword which is a might check. And lets say that I get 2 successes and a card with two inspiration icons on it that I could spend 2 inspiration tokens on to get another 2 successes. Would that mean I could use the 2*= 5 strikes from the sword card twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each ability can only be used once per attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt Fiddler
msg tools
mb
senorcoo wrote:

Just to continue off of this, if a sword item has 2 abilities on it, (eg 1 success = 2 hits/2 successes = 5 hits), can you during a single attack action use both if you gain 3 successes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtFiddler wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Just to continue off of this, if a sword item has 2 abilities on it, (eg 1 success = 2 hits/2 successes = 5 hits), can you during a single attack action use both if you gain 3 successes?

David Gardner wrote:
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kanakousakis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmb
Imagine that you "burn" your successes to use the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game last night and kept equating successes with hits instead of weapon abilities. Old habits and all but I like the new system!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemonos wrote:
Imagine that you "burn" your successes to use the ability.

The rule language is “spend”.

“Many abilities on item cards are preceded by a cost that is represented by a success (*) icon and a value (e.g., 2*). To resolve such an ability, the hero must spend a number of success (*) icons from among those produced by the attack test equal to the cost’s value. Then, they resolve the ability’s text.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
I read the rulebook and can’t find anything that says you can’t spend four successes to use the same ability twice (e.g., 5 hits twice). For those who say otherwise where in the rule book are you seeing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tember wrote:
I read the rulebook and can’t find anything that says you can’t spend four successes to use the same ability twice (e.g., 5 hits twice). For those who say otherwise where in the rule book are you seeing it?

Learn to Play, page 11:

“Then, the hero spends successes (*) to resolve one or more of that item’s abilities. Each ability indicates how many successes must be spent to resolve it, and each ability can be resolved only once per attack.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly, the more detailed Rules Reference covers Attacks on page 9, section 12.1, but does not include the once per attack limitation!

This needs to be addressed in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thank you! I was looking in the rules reference for it since it’s supposed to be the more authoritative source according to the golden rules in the rules reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was similar problem in AH3rd were some rules were only on learn to play and not in the reference...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ka
Poland
flag msg tools
Guys, a little bit off the main question but still in a topic of attacking.

If I use both actions of a given hero on two subsequent attacks on the very same group of enemies do I assign the damage and close the window after first attack test, take the counterattack and then test the second time and open the window again or can I just test twice, sum up the damage and assign it all at once in a single window taking only one counterattack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
elkatarro wrote:
Guys, a little bit of the main question but still in a topic of attacking.

If I use both actions of a given hero on two subsequent attacks on the very same group of enemies do I assign the damage and close the window after first attack test, take the counterattack and then test the second time and open the window again or can I just test twice, sum up the damage and assign it all at once in a single window taking only one counterattack?

It's two actions, so you fully resolve each separately. So you would take a counterattack in between (edit: and after the second too), plus the enemies armor should apply to the second attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten J
msg tools
For each attack, you complete the full attack sequence. The attack sequence includes the counterattack. so therefore, attack, face the counter attack. Then attack again including a second counterattack if you still wish to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ka
Poland
flag msg tools
I suspected so, it would be too easy to assign both attacks at once...

Thanks for clarifying this to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Oddly, the more detailed Rules Reference covers Attacks on page 9, section 12.1, but does not include the once per attack limitation!

This needs to be addressed in the FAQ.

I was trying to find this rule too, in the Rules Reference.
Also, because rule 1.3 states...

"When using an ability on a card with multiple abilities, only one can be used unless an ability specifically states that it is used before, when, or after the other ability is resolved."

With no exception made for Items during Attacks, with which according to the Learn to Play guide you can use multiple Abilities, as long as you can pay for them, and using each only once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.