Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

En Garde» Forums » Variants

Subject: A small house rule regarding the retreating option to face an advance+attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JM Costa

Lisboa
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am really enjoying this little game by Knizia.

In the rules player A make an advance+attack combined move and player B has the option either to parry the attack or to retreat.

I propose, as a house rule, that player B will only succed to retreat IF he can play a card with a value equal or superior to the value of the card that player A used to advance in the combined move.

As an example:

A and B are 6 spaces apart.
Player A moves with 4 and attacks with 2.

Player B has the option to parry with a 2 card or to retreat, but ONLY IF he plays a retreating card with a 4 or 5 value; otherwise he loses the assault.

With the original rules player B, unless he was at the edge of the piste, could easily retreat from a move+attack by player A, which, I think, is unrealistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about realism, but it seems your houserule would make the advance and attack too useful and would drastically cut down on the positional play that I find riveting.

I like jockeying to get my swordsman into the range where I know or suspect I can overpower my opponent.

Likewise, I also like the other option of using the Avance+Attack to try and drive my opponent back when I am still unsure of the cards. Sometimes it's risky and that's what's thrilling.

Both attacks have there risks and rewards and I think makes the game richer.

Of course, this is how I enjoy the game. Obviously you should do what makes the game most fun for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games I played, "advance and attack" already seems like a dominant move as it has such a long range striking potential AND you get another go if the player retreats. I think this change would completely unbalance the game and would make the game a rush to advance + attack with the largest card possible, in the hope that the opponent can't beat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.