Subject: Is there a broken solo strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I played a solo game over the weekend. Well, I partially played a solo game, at least. I got to Turn 6. I had cards everywhere. Tokens on the map. A logistics nightmare! But it got me to thinking about a strategy, so I decided to reset and try it. And to my dismay, I suspect it is a virtually guaranteed win, so I thought I'd post here to make sure I wasn't missing a key aspect. Spoilers used, just in case:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

The main gist is to pretty much ignore all projects except for the 2 auto-win projects (German Nuclear Plan/Orbital Solar Gun). The factions that get these projects concentrate on amassing Scientists/Resources, in order to pay for the expensive Tech upgrade and project completion costs. All other factions do nothing but buy up non-essential Tech/Project cards from the offer, firstly to enable access to the Recruit options for the auto-win factions and secondly to cycle cards to make sure the required Theory and improved Accelerator cards are available as early as possible.

The exception is to work on one of V2 Rockets, Haunebu, or Vril (V7 Flugelrad will work if the Habermohl event comes up early), preferably prioritized in that order. One will provide the project requirement of the auto-win projects.

Then it's just a matter of waiting. The Auto-Win projects should not be developed until 1945, to protect from Bombardments until the very end. By that point, they should have plenty of excess Scientists/Resources (and ideally an excess Tech card) to prevent project destruction.

Seeing as in the solo game, you go through the entire Event deck, German Counter-offensive is guaranteed to come up, thus eliminating the need to worry about the Leading Faction token. So in 1945, just approve and complete either one of the Auto-win projects. Simple.

So, is there a flaw in this strategy? If not, it should win every time, as far as I can tell. I tried it and was set to win from about Turn 5, the remaining turns, I was just twiddling my thumbs.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick is to keep these projects unapproved as long as possible, so to avoid that Bombardments hit them. If you with, try to play with the expansion cards and use the Desperate Times as Mandatory in solo-mode. This will add a lot of danger for unapproved projects because they are considered as being in Berlin/Wewelsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:
The trick is to keep these projects unapproved as long as possible, so to avoid that Bombardments hit them. If you with, try to play with the expansion cards and use the Desperate Times as Mandatory in solo-mode. This will add a lot of danger for unapproved projects because they are considered as being in Berlin/Wewelsburg.

OK, so it seems it is a valid strategy that would work pretty much all the time. There is no pressure to approve a project, and you can approve and complete in the same round, so the choice to approve is entirely up to the player. They only have to survive a single Bombardment, which is easy to do.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.