11 Posts

Raiders of the North Sea» Forums » General

Subject: Raiders of the North Sea or Champion of Midgard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Besaliel
Indonesia
flag msg tools
before we started let me emphasize that i know this 2 games are compared a lot, but most of the thread doesn't fulfill some of my question

So recently I want to buy one of them with both expansion (mutually exclusive), my main partner for gaming is my SO but occasionally i have some friend come over so i want to know which one of these game that scale up well and still good at 2

maybe these two question that came up in my mind for determining which one to buy
1. Which one better with two?
2. Which one scale better? or are both of them scale well?
3. Which one still good at max player count? (5 for CoM and 6 for RotNS)

bonus question: as you can see it boil down about player flexibility. RotNS have official and fan made solo variant. Is official one worth it or fan made one is enough (or even better)?

Thank you for any help you can offer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am biased as I sold Midgard for being too mediocre and not enough depth in mechanisms and luck heavy, so I'd say Raiders in all three points.

Midgard was definitely miserable with minimum and maximum player counts, either too loose in placement areas or too tight and that's pretty bad for a game that effectively amounts to a roll-to-resolve worker placement.

I absolutely love Raiders' crew card variability in comparison. It's insanely variable, especially with expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Champions of Midgard, so I can't comment on it, but I can say that Raiders plays well at 2, 3, and 4, but can have a bit of downtime and AP with 5 or 6 players and both expansions. The official solo deck for Raiders is really easy to use (with or without expansions) and reasonably tough to beat as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiders scales really well by having an un-traditional worker placement aspect of "put one down, pick one up", so there's only ever 3 spots covered. With 2p there's a bit more deliberate blocking going on than there is in 4p, but it's marginal.

I've never played the solo variant, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
mbmbmb
Haven't played CoM. Played RotNS with 3, 4 and 5 players. 3 is great, 4 is good, I wouldn't recommend 5 because there's too much downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rochelle Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played RAIDERS with 2, 3, 4 and 5 (with and without all expansions) and enjoyed every game. Did not experience the downtime that others here have mentioned but the duration of the game with five players proved to be a bit longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Besaliel
Indonesia
flag msg tools
i expect with maximum player count will be longer and have some "downtime" so i am okay with that to be honest as long as it doesn't overstay it's welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Dayton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mirelle_bastian wrote:
before we started let me emphasize that i know this 2 games are compared a lot, but most of the thread doesn't fulfill some of my question

So recently I want to buy one of them with both expansion (mutually exclusive), my main partner for gaming is my SO but occasionally i have some friend come over so i want to know which one of these game that scale up well and still good at 2

maybe these two question that came up in my mind for determining which one to buy
1. Which one better with two?
2. Which one scale better? or are both of them scale well?
3. Which one still good at max player count? (5 for CoM and 6 for RotNS)

bonus question: as you can see it boil down about player flexibility. RotNS have official and fan made solo variant. Is official one worth it or fan made one is enough (or even better)?

Thank you for any help you can offer

I owned both but sold Midgard and kept Raiders. I think that Raiders is just straight up the better game. As for your questions:

1) I've honestly never played either with 2 players, but as someone else mentioned, I feel that Raider's unconventional style of worker placement would lend itself to being a better two player experience.

2) I feel that Raiders scales well. I think the 3, 4, and 5 player games are all great. I've played with 6 once and while it was okay, just a little too much down time at certain periods for my taste.

3)I've played both at 5, and in my opinion, they both were fine at 5. I just like Raiders better. However, as I mentioned above, I don't recommend Raiders at 6.

I played the official solo variant for Raiders for the first time a couple days ago and it was great. There are rules for using it with just the base game, with one of the expansions, or with both expansions. If you like Raiders and ever play solo, I definitely recommend the official solo variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Fuchs
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I’m writing this while playing RoNS with five players. Obviously enough downtime to engage in extracurricular activities :-) It’s still a good game but I enjoy it a lot more with 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rochelle Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mix579 wrote:
I’m writing this while playing RoNS with five players. Obviously enough downtime to engage in extracurricular activities :-) It’s still a good game but I enjoy it a lot more with 2 or 3 players.

Yep. We played last night with five players and while I used that time between turns to review my cards and/or plan(s) of action, others in the group either surfed the net on their mobiles or tried to stay awake/focused. Honestly, the game didn't feel remotely as slow to me as some other games I've played but there is definitely a difference between a 3 or 4 player game and a 5 or 6 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Besaliel
Indonesia
flag msg tools
Hi, thanks for all the input and i've decided to cash in on RotNS and it's expansion

So far i enjoy every time it hit the table and i certainly enjoy the solo variant.

On the positive note, it certainly tight in lower player count, (i've yet to play with higher player count but i am certain that the tightness will stay the same). And on negative note that i encounter so far is the theme is drier than CoM (but i expect that).

overall really enjoy this one and glad to add this one into my collection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.