Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
An-Jen Tai
United States
Palmyra
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just wondering if anyone has advice or thoughts on something odd on an ongoing marketplace sale. Received a purchase from someone with a 1 feedback. The account is 8 month old and has some activity and seems legit to me. The game is not a high value item ($20). Anyway, I had to remind him via email that I had confirmed the transaction. He replied that he was still interested but needed to add a verified address to his Paypal account. A day later he claims that he is not able "use" his Paypal account and is not able create a new one. He then wanted to know if we could proceed via other means.

I am inclined to oblige, but wanted to find out if anyone has come across something like this before. Might it be a scam of some sort? If so I have no idea how it would work. And given the low stakes, why would anyone bother?

Opinions welcomed.

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an on-line store you frequent, ask for a gift certificate. I regularly accept Amazon gift cards. Better than PayPal as you don’t need to pay fees and it’s harder for them to reverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had buyers order stuff and then just vanish. I guess the answer is "depends what is meant by 'other means'". If it involves gift cards or other pseudo-payment methods, I'd pass. I'd also pass if he requires banking information of any kind from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
anjentai wrote:
So just wondering if anyone has advice or thoughts on something odd on an ongoing marketplace sale. Received a purchase from someone with a 1 feedback. The account is 8 month old and has some activity and seems legit to me. The game is not a high value item ($20). Anyway, I had to remind him via email that I had confirmed the transaction. He replied that he was still interested but needed to add a verified address to his Paypal account. A day later he claims that he is not able "use" his Paypal account and is not able create a new one. He then wanted to know if we could proceed via other means.

I am inclined to oblige, but wanted to find out if anyone has come across something like this before. Might it be a scam of some sort? If so I have no idea how it would work. And given the low stakes, why would anyone bother?

Opinions welcomed.

A

I’d pass. You said PayPal and he cannot use it. You have no protection via other payments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
If you have an on-line store you frequent, ask for a gift certificate. I regularly accept Amazon gift cards. Better than PayPal as you don’t need to pay fees and it’s harder for them to reverse.

You're a pretty friendly guy, Ted. I might do that with somebody with a 50 rating or so, a '1', not so much. I guess it's safe if you can deposit the card in your Amazon account first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJAirshark wrote:
TedMarshall wrote:

You're a pretty friendly guy, Ted. I might do that with somebody with a 50 rating or so, a '1', not so much. I guess it's safe if you can deposit the card in your Amazon account first.

Yes, I probably should have clarified that. I do deposit the GC into my account before shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, I'd pass.
If it's less than $20, is it worth any potential aggravation (even if you take a gift card)? It wouldn't be for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
anjentai wrote:

Opinions welcomed.

A

I’d pass. You said PayPal and he cannot use it. You have no protection via other payments.

Personal checks and money orders are still currency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just take an amazon giftcard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
mcpranno wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
anjentai wrote:

Opinions welcomed.

A

Personal checks and money orders are still currency.

If the seller elected beforehand to take them, then sure. But a buyer with no history altering the deal is not worth the risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
usps money orders are only safe other form of payment. google to find many other threads on why
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I'm not really getting a scam vibe....yet.
There is absolutely no reason you would need to bend over to help this person out (like giving any personal info for a direct payment) so as long as the alternate payment is on your terms I think its worth moving forward.

I use the bare minimum from paypal and I use it very infrequently, I could see something stopping paypal from working for me. Recently an auction here wanted to get paid day of, well for me it takes paypal 3-5 days to get my money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An-Jen Tai
United States
Palmyra
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I suggested to the buyer that an Amazon giftcard would be a good option, but he flaked out and basically ghosted me after that.

Interestingly enough, I have had a bit of success recently with zero or very low feedback buyers. This is the first one in the past 6 months that has bailed on me.

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.