Subject: Any interest in a DOOM Campaign Concept? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Howard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm currently working on and running a Campaign for the 2016 version of this game. I started this idea with a single copy of the game and a whiteboard tile set (Atlas Whiteboard Tiles), but it quickly ballooned into buying multiple copies of the base game for the additional figurines/tiles.

I'm mostly asking as to gauge interest in the base concept and eventually gather some ideas for features as I work further with my Campaign group. However, I'm trying to also make it work with just what I started with, since this quickly went out of control.

Some features working at the moment:
- Equipment persistence
- A linear, themed map set across 3 Episodes, 8 Maps per Episode
- Multiple marine objectives with diverting
- Fog of War & Motion Tracking (Target Ping/Mark)
- Invader Spawning without Line of sight (Pre-Summoning/Spawning)
- Secret, Outdoor, Cave Maps (Via Whiteboard Tiles)

Currently Testing:
+ Campaign Invader Threat Card
+ Marine Requisition (Between Mission weapon swapping from found weapons)
+ Additional Demon (N64 Pain Elemental/Lost Soul)

Planned (Optional) Additions:
- Additional monsters (i.e. Lost Souls, Pain Elemental [N64 Version], Arachnotrons)
- New Spawning Cards and Marine Objectives
- Secret rooms (Accessible through switches/observations)
- Traps and Hazards (Burning Ground/Toxic Barrels)
- New Grenade Types & Cards (Stun Grenade)

All of the above is subject to change as the rules get fleshed out further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Buehler
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had ideas rolling around my head for something like this. I'd definitely be interested in helping develop this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely interested in seeing where this goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please.
Would this change the game mechanics at all (e.g., result in automated demons, or create a co-op play mode as a byproduct)?

In any case, it sounds interesting. I've always thought Doom had a lot of unrealized potential, if FF would just give it a little more attention, or maybe expansions.

Also, I don't know how invested you are in it, but if you know anyone who is good at 3D modelling, another tragedy that Doom suffered from since the very beginning was the lack of a (big ass) Spider Mastermind. I'd definitely be willing to pay for some 3D printing of a good, in-theme Mastermind model that goes with the game (i.e., properly sized base, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa_Tom wrote:

Also, I don't know how invested you are in it, but if you know anyone who is good at 3D modelling, another tragedy that Doom suffered from since the very beginning was the lack of a (big ass) Spider Mastermind. I'd definitely be willing to pay for some 3D printing of a good, in-theme Mastermind model that goes with the game (i.e., properly sized base, etc.).

Always thought it would be cool to have a 3x3 Mastermind who could slip through 2x1 doorways while moving. That way it felt as massive as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
Always thought it would be cool to have a 3x3 Mastermind who could slip through 2x1 doorways while moving. That way it felt as massive as it is.

I've always just assume the reason (other that being cost prohibitive) there wasn't a big ole' Spider was just because the map tiles and doors weren't big enough to hold it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Howard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
This doesn't change the core game mechanics, since the core game isn't broken. I intended this project to build upon what is already there. I like the way the game flows between player and invader, but it can use more nuance and player expression within some boundaries.

In a way, The campaign does change the way the players think of their marines. To facilitate this I imported some ideas from the Tabletop game "TORG", with descriptive glory kills giving bonuses like Grenades or more health, and limited weapon load outs to start to promote specialization in a style of play. Though, Weapon pick-ups are a thing in the campaign since I don't want the players to feel fully locked into their role, it also adds the benefit of running a singular weapon as a means to an end. I have toyed around with the idea for weapon slots, but that's a feature on the drawing board and not something fleshed out.

On the Invaders end, I wanted viability in their summons. Thus I added a kind of pre-summoning to get them on the board quicker without downtime (I'm still debating whether or not to keep the Invader cards in the initiative deck). Not to mention, "Radar Pings" add a level of "What is that?" Battleship-esque gameplay for the marines, sussing out what summon card is being used and add a bit of fear in the marines. So far, I'm enjoying the Invaders a TON more with this change, it adds a flair for pre-planning and how Demons hit the board and not just how the marines hit them. Hell, My first map I thought was too Marine sided, until I spawned 3 Mancubi, 3 Cacodemons, and a pair of Imps. Let's just say there were some frags, but it was a fun experience for both sides.

On the subject of Automated Demons might be an interesting concept for Lost Souls since they're already so random as it is, but I'd rather it be optional for only a select few monsters. It'd play almost like a sub-demon concept and I like that minion-based style. It'd pair well with the Pain Elemental idea I have, using the N64 Sprite data to produce a horde spewing monster that summons 3 at a time. Maybe add a "Spend an Argent" to command them or converge on a target like a guided missile.

As for my investment, I've already bought 3 Copies of the main game to even conceptualize this. So I'm in it for the long haul and I do know people that I can contract for better 3D modeling assistance if needed. However, it's too early for that and I'd rather not spend money on something that may not work overall.

The Spider Mastermind on the other hand, I have had an idea for how it would work but it's hard to use it with the traditional tiles when it's a 3x3 Monster. I could have an ability where it could bypass one doorway per activation, but I feel like that may be too much. That's also why I only suggested the Arachnotron as a starting point, since they're smaller.

However, the Spider Mastermind would work with the Atlas Tiles. Since you can mix-match and create larger rooms, it makes it feasible to create larger and larger creatures.

For example, I designed this map as E1M6 in my Campaign:

As you can see, with the Atlas Tiles I can make 6x6 Rooms and 3x3 hallways or pair them together to make a HUGE room to fight in. Plus, the squares are comparable to the board games tiles and with the tiles being Wet/Dry erase, it's easy to put in terrain or conceptual zones. I also don't want people to go to great lengths to create what I've created (I.e. Buy 3 Copies of this game), so I see One Copy and the Atlas tiles as a better alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can definitely see how the Spider Mastermind would be unmanageably large. But, yes, it could just be treated sort of like it is the game--restricted to one large game-ending area where you either kill it or it kills you.

Dojutrek wrote:
On the Invaders end, I wanted viability in their summons. Thus I added a kind of pre-summoning to get them on the board quicker without downtime (I'm still debating whether or not to keep the Invader cards in the initiative deck).

With this, do you mean that the demons all hit the board in the beginning and can move around freely (with the exception of opening doors)? If so, that could chisel away at the old complaint that the game is weighted in the marines' favor.
Honestly though, I've never really bought in to that complaint too much, since there's a few built in ways to counter the issue easily. But, I like the idea of letting the demons "exist" on the board before coming through a gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By automated demons, I was thinking something like the way the enemies in Ghostbusters work. I don't have solid answers/suggestions on that yet, but I've been wondering if there was a way to apply that basic concept to the Doom mechanics to create a co-op and single-player mode, since the two games share a lot of fundamental similarities otherwise.

I like what you're doing here, though. Looks like the idea has a lot of potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Howard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yes, I do mean that they hit the board early or via triggering mechanic (i.e. clearing a single objective in Containment Protocol for instance). They can move and not open doors like you've stated, but I usually choose not to move them since I have Fog of War and Radar Pings.

Actually, I didn't make it for balancing and more for fun. I hated how long it took for the Demons to make a difference on the board, they'd come in and usually got cut in half before they took a turn. So I made them spawn preemptively via triggers (an old DOOM tactic) and create a difference before they were even seen by the Marines. It made it more like old school DOOM, where monsters were there but unseen and unheard until a triggering event like Line of Sight, Sound, or Event.

EDIT: A good example of Marines cutting down demons quickly, was my first play session of the Campaign. I had a single marine activate a room, I spawned in about 7 Demons and by the end of that marines activation he had killed 3 Demons and heavily wounded a fourth. In one turn, he cleared nearly half of the rooms compliment. He was a Mini-DOOM slayer and it showed, but it also showed how powerful the Marines are and how one Marine can do a lot in one turn.

I aimed to change that with pre-spawning and I think it put the Marines a bit more on an even keel with the Demons judging by future play sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Howard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
So a little update on my Campaign Development progress. My group on Tuesday, May 7th finished the first campaign map. Just to give a brief after-action report:

E1M1 - Entry

Result: Marine Victory!
Total Time: 4 Sessions, 3 Hours per session (~12 hours total)

Map Type: Challenge

Marine Mission: Containment Protocol

Invader Threat Card: Horde

Total Portals on Map: 16
Total Demon Kills: 31
Total Marine Frags: 5

This entire exercise was to design, test, and solidify the concepts that will become a Custom Campaign rule set. I started with the basic rule set, as shown in the "Learn to Play", "Operations", and "Rules Reference" books with a few custom ideas thrown in. With the completion of the first map, I have some thoughts on what transpired.

First off, Map size. I made a huge design blunder when developing my first map. E1M1 was designed to be the first floor of a base structure and while it works flawlessly for that, it's way too sprawling for the nature of the game. It didn't help when a Marine died, they had to take two turns of sprinting just to get back to the fight. Below is the make-up of the first map:

Now this is in contrast to E1M2 - Operations, the second floor of the base and designed for quicker play:

If you compare the size of the Teleporter tokens, you can see that the second map pales in comparison to the first. I'm going to be limiting my use of tiles from here on out as to not have a repeat of E1M1, but I'm keeping E1M1 as is and adding more Respawn points to reduce the Marine downtime.

Secondly, Pre-spawning. It definitely balanced out the game really well and made the difference when fighting the Marines. It was basically like getting a free spawn from each portal during setup (I.e. the Infestation Threat Card) and then going with another Threat Card completely. However, I can see where it might get too in favor of Invaders so I may make a custom-built Campaign Threat card and leave it up to the Host discretion on what they want.

To wrap this up, the First Campaign Map went over well. It was a fun experience for all those involved. They're already looking forward to the next mission map, in which I'm adding in a few additional concepts.

EDIT: Also, from here on out I'm going to be editing the Main post as the design gets fleshed out more. If anyone wants to suggest or brainstorm more concepts to include, feel free to post and discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Howard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
So a little Update:

I thought of a way to handle Switches/Hidden Rooms/Respawners. I'd like somebody to look it over and give me their two cents on it.

Quote:
Switch/Respawn Integration

Switches and Extra Respawn points can be hidden under Horde Portal Stacks, each Portal cleared opens a local door with a corresponding lock (Blue, Yellow, and Red respectively). A locked out door will have an Inactive and unusable Portal underneath it to denote that it’s locked.

If the switch is linked to a secret room, the room will open upon completion of the stack. Stacks that contain Switches/Marine Respawners will known only to the DM/Invader until players have Line-of-sight on the stack itself.

The Horde Stack doesn’t need to be adjacent to the door in question, but it should be within line-of-sight to make Marines at least aware of it.

EDIT:

I also have an idea to include Pain Elementals/Lost Souls in the game as an alternative to Cacodemons on cards. They're a Combo Card, since Lost Souls are usually a result of Pain Elementals. This isn't final and still needs some play-testing, but I still would like some feedback on it.

Quote:
Creature Card - Lost Soul/Pain Elemental

Speed: 3
Range: 1 (1 Red, 1 Black Die)
Health: 6
Stagger: 3

Outpouring: 2 Lost Souls spew forth from the Maw of the Pain Elemental. Lost Souls have Speed of 6, Range of 1, Health of 1, and deal 1 Red Die worth of Damage.

(2 Argent Icons) Soul Seekers: Increase the Range of the Pain Elemental by +5, 3 Lost Souls are launched and deal 1 Black Die worth of damage. (Souls are destroyed on impact).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got a lot going on here. I haven't had time to peruse the whole thing yet, but I'm interested in getting into it soon. And, the prospect of new monsters is always interesting.
I'll drop a (gold) dime on that for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Howard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the Gold (even though I have no clue what it does...).

Yeah, I tend to work on this quite often. I play the raw campaign every Tuesday, so it's common for me to think what to improve or expand upon while I play. Then I run a second Free-game on some random map every so often to test new concepts out with a bunch of friends.

I want to get a Unified Rule Set down on paper for people to try and experiment for themselves eventually (I have a four page google document so far). Either way, there's no obligation on anyone reading this to really sit down and try what I'm working on, I just hope it inspires others to really jump in and try something wild in their own games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the silly currency that's used on the forum (to enter contests, buy badges, etc.). More of a gesture, really.
I just like seeing people have a genuine passion for custom build projects for the sake of the fun of it.

(I recently posted a short article on the topic myself, here.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.