Popular Tags: [View All]
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m looking for books that may help me understand what was going on on the battlefield in ww2 in an effort to understand the logic behind a lot of the squad level tactical games (and their rules) out there. Any recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Chee
Australia
flag msg tools
publisher
"The destiny of nations is shaped by the plangent vicissitude of destroying enemy flattops, interdicting their convoys, and severing their reinforcements and supply lines. And, if you make ace along the way... well, that's just gravy."
badge
"The destiny of nations is shaped by the plangent vicissitude of destroying enemy flattops, interdicting their convoys, and severing their reinforcements and supply lines. And, if you make ace along the way... well, that's just gravy."
mbmbmbmbmb

George Patton's War as I Knew It comes to mind. While it is a first-hand account of Gen. Patton's experiences and leadership of the Third Army as it swept through Europe, his thoughts and philosophy on warfighting, from high command right down to the squad level, permeates throughout the book. I remember this was required reading in section commander school, and immediately being able to apply its knowledge in our small-unit training and field exercises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
● Sean ●
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
● UNDRASK | Viking and Norse culturally inspired art ●
badge
Raven
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzers on the Eastern Front by Erhard Raus is a detailed account of German actions against the Russian that specifically fell outside of standard German doctrinal models. Written as a series of very detailed case studies, it's an interesting look into mechanised actions at the tactical and operational levels. Notwithstanding whatever arguments some people may have about accounts written by German officers after the war, Raus provided excellent details of anomalies in Russian doctrine and countermeasures applied by the Germans, as part of the Amercian's postwar information capture.

I also found books in the Stackpole Military History Series very interesting, specifically Infantry Aces and Panzer Aces. They may not be exactly what you're looking for but both are accounts taken from citations of some of the most highly decorated German soldiers and how they achieved their awards, written from viewpoints at the tactical level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer Tactics: German Small-Unit Armor Tactics in World War II by Wolfgang Schneider is excellent, examining German regulations and how they were applied.

On the German Art of War edited by Bruce Condell and David T. Zabecki is an English translation of the German Army manual for WWII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Company Commander by Charles B. MacDonald
Quick read. Memoir of a replacement captain assigned to a veteran company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything by Stephen Bull, especially the new edition of Second World War Infantry Tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infantry in Battle, produced by the US Infantry School at Fort Benning under George Marshall, and the basis of infantry doctrine and training between the wars. Based on extensive WW1 AARs with "lessons learned" discussion of each, from all sides including German officer reports, French, British etc. It is the best book on infantry tactics ever written in my opinion. It is available online in PDF here -

https://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/Infa...

Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel, which is his WW1 memoirs from his time mostly in the Bavarian mountain corps, fighting in France, Romania, and Italy. Essential reading, if occasionally "just so" story with the messy mistake bits excised, unlike the previous which plays it straight on the bad as well as the good. You can find this as an etext via the internet archive here -

https://archive.org/stream/Attacks_Erwin_Rommel/Attacks_Erwi...

Of course, feel free to buy better editions of either, you can find them on Amazon etc.

Both are about WW1 infantry fighting as to the period actually covered in the AARs involved. But formed doctrine for WW2, and reflect how infantry actually fought on all fronts in that war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Kippenberger's "Infantry Brigadier" is probably one of the best sources, and certainly the best written, if you want the British Commonwealth perspective.

Fought with the ANZAC's in the Great War until seriously wounded in 1916, came back to command everything from a company to, temporarily, the New Zealand Division in the Western Desert via Greece and Crete. His war finished at Monte Cassino, Italy, when he stepped on a landmine and had both feet amputated. A great soldier and a great man - a great book also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Australia
PORT MACQUARIE
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could find Panzer Tactics: German Small-Unit Armor Tactics in World War II by Wolfgang Schneider suitable for your research. It has descriptions of the tactics and provides diagrams and maps that make understanding the tactics (and why they were used) straightforward and interesting. Lots of WWII photographs are also included, many of which I hadn't seen before reading this book. Here's https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/216355.Panzer_Tactics some more about the book. It should be easy to purchase online from many places including the ubiquitous Amazon which seems to have new and used copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:
Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel, which is his WW1 memoirs from his time mostly in the Bavarian mountain corps, fighting in France, Romania, and Italy. Essential reading, if occasionally "just so" story with the messy mistake bits excised, unlike the previous which plays it straight on the bad as well as the good. You can find this as an etext via the internet archive here -

https://archive.org/stream/Attacks_Erwin_Rommel/Attacks_Erwi...

But that's just the text, and one of the great things about the book is hat some editions are illustrated with a LOT of little maps: just sketches, really, but they were drawn by Rommel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your suggestions!

I think I’ll end up checking out these two first.

Westie wrote:
Panzer Tactics: German Small-Unit Armor Tactics in World War II by Wolfgang Schneider is excellent, examining German regulations and how they were applied.

On the German Art of War edited by Bruce Condell and David T. Zabecki is an English translation of the German Army manual for WWII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Australia
PORT MACQUARIE
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grjsk wrote:
Thank you for all your suggestions!

I think I’ll end up checking out these two first.

Westie wrote:

You might also like to look at the thread [thread=https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2189545/good-sources-ta...]Good sources on tactical deployment[/thread] as it includes some good online (free) references to original source documents that could be useful to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.