Popular Tags: [View All]
Zsolt Farkas
Hungary
Gyömrő
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The advanced skill card, "Word of Warning" says:

"When you or a nearby hero tests AGILITY, you may discard this skill to add 1 SUCCESS and scout 1."

It's not clear that discarding this skill who will scout 1. The hero who plays "Word of Warning", or the hero who tests AGILITY?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would think the word “you” is implying you can scout 1, when your testing agility its your turn, when another player is testing agility its their turn and your providing an assist so they can gain a success. I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt Fiddler
msg tools
mb
The way I read that is it will apply to whoever is making the test for agility. If it's you, you get the scout 1 - if you discard the card because a nearby hero is testing agility, that hero gets the scout 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtFiddler wrote:
The way I read that is it will apply to whoever is making the test for agility. If it's you, you get the scout 1 - if you discard the card because a nearby hero is testing agility, that hero gets the scout 1.
bingo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems really ambiguous to me. (Mind you, I haven't played the game, or ever read the rules, or even watched a video yet.) I think "add 1 SUCCESS, and scout 1" is no more or less obvious than "add '1 SUCCESS and scout 1'".

I suppose thematically, whoever is being warned would get both benefits. But I'm wary of rules interpretations that rely on thematic justification.

Is there anything official, or any precedent, that is steering folks toward granting the scout to whoever got the SUCCESS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Haven’t got that far yet in RR, but there’s bound to be an exhaustive definition of “You“ that boils down to “you, the one playing the component that has the word “you” on it, ya cotton headed ninny muggins.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Mann
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played a million card games, this seems that it is obviously the owner of the card who gets to Scout. Otherwise they would have said "that player may Scout 1" or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems clear to me. The second phrase, separated by the comma, is a single instruction:
“you may discard this skill to add 1 SUCCESS and scout 1.”

YOU discard the skill AND Scout 1. Both instructions apply to YOU, not the other hero.

It also just makes sense since you will discard the prepared card and Scout 1 let’s you prepare another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
It seems clear to me. The second phrase, separated by the comma, is a single instruction:
“you may discard this skill to add 1 SUCCESS and scout 1.”

YOU discard the skill AND Scout 1. Both instructions apply to YOU, not the other hero.

It also just makes sense since you will discard the prepared card and Scout 1 let’s you prepare another card.

That's how I see it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.W.H. Bosch
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily. It only makes sense that the testing hero will add one succes and thus also scouts one. If there's another nearby hero testing, he/she will get the extra succes and scout option. At least that's how I read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A

St. Louis
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing all these cards as the person who played the card gets scout 1. But, there are other cards that have similar effects - one effect to one character and a scout to a second, and they have an additional word “you” which refers to the patient who played the card rather than the person who received the first benefit.

So now I am torn. I can’t find one of these cards right now but I bet someone on here can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Farkas
Hungary
Gyömrő
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here is the official answer:

"Unless otherwise specified, all abilities on skill cards only refer to the player using or discarding that skill card. In this case, the player would discard "Word of Warning" to add 1 success to whatever test is occurring, then scout 1."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.