Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress» Forums » General

Subject: Storage Solution for minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aerol Bibat
Philippines
Taguig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought this and I love it - however, how are people storing their assembled minis? It doesn't seem like it would fir in the current box and I plan to buy the coming expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I already had miniatures storage cases from when I used to wargame. I just cleared out and reorganised one for this. Dragon just has his own padded box as he wouldn't fit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnets, sheet metal and glue
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a glass case, to show off with the painted minis and remind me on my mortality and the shortness of my life because of the unpainted minis.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Brimfield
MA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to get all but the big minis in the core box. Then all the other stuff in the expansion boxes.
Sho-Ryu and the Golem went in my display case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Created custom foam trays that fit in the otherworld size boxes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a bunch of Battle Foam cases with custom sets of foam trays. Got a PACK 1520 XL, 2x PACK Plus, and a PACK 216. Yes, it was really expensive.

I'll probably eventually get another PACK 1520 XL when I start painting Forbidden Fortress minis. But that's way down the road. I still got plenty of Old West figures to do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take out the plastic inlay and put a few small containers in there to hold then mini's.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Germany
Bruchsal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott
would it be possible to show us a picture of the minis in your storage?

Greetings
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mardyr wrote:
Hi Scott
would it be possible to show us a picture of the minis in your storage?

Greetings

Sure, I can probably get some pics for you tomorrow. In my image gallery are the designs of all the foam trays I came up with.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Germany
Bruchsal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Sure, I can probably get some pics for you tomorrow.


That would be great, thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some images of my Battle Foam cases. The main case is a PACK 1520 XL at the bottom with 2 stacks of PACK Plus cases. They zipper all together and the 1520 has wheels and a handle like a suitcase. The sides have a stiff insert but it does bow a bit when you unzipper it because of the added Plus cases. Not enough to be concerned but don't stack heavy things on top when its open.

The last picture is the PACK 216 which has two foam inserts and am using that for heroes and allies. Once I finish painting the old west figures the top one will be full. Currently have the old west allies below. I haven't counted but think it will hold the Japanese heroes and maybe the allies for that set too.

The PACK 216 can zipper to the top of the PACK Plus cases but currently I have it separate since it has a handle for easy carrying. And the 3 cases are already pretty high. I may zipper it in eventually.

The problem will be when I start painting the Japanese sets. I'll definitely need another 1520. I have to admit storage has gotten totally out of hand. And in a couple years will have the 3rd KS content. I'm rather addicted to the game but I'm questioning my sanity when I consider how much space I need for this game. Not to mention the hundreds of hours of painting ahead of me.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Germany
Bruchsal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the pictures. That helps to imagine the space required for storage.

ScottE wrote:
I have to admit storage has gotten totally out of hand. And in a couple years will have the 3rd KS content. I'm rather addicted to the game but I'm questioning my sanity when I consider how much space I need for this game. Not to mention the hundreds of hours of painting ahead of me.


For now I have most of the original stuff in wild west theme. The Forbidden Fortress theme is not that interresting for me, but the third KS is also on my list of „problems“ to solve

Currently I‘m assembling my minis, don‘t know if I will paint them in future, it is possible. Making some problems, then solving them. For storage I still need to find some space and thought about storage towers like these:
https://clickbox.de/products/storage-towers-drawer-container...
Filled with foam or magnetizing the bottom and glueing magnets to the minis bases.

This game is great at all, but the storing it is the real challenge. Not to mention the transport, I saw the SoB transporter vehicle, will this be the next KS?

Also the amount of different tokens makes me crazy. Have already bought a nice organizer box with 50 removable compartments and I need another one plus one with different sized compartments for other size tokens.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B016MO6ZGK/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1

For the tokens I originally bought Plano-23630 boxes, but the tokens often stuck. The new ones compartments are big enough for easy taking out the tokens and I like the removable boxes to place only required tokens on the table.

Thanks again for the pictures and have a nice day
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are very welcome David.

Token storage is certainly another problem with the insane number of unique tokens they've made. I put all the unique pickup items in binder coin holders. But for everything else I did this.



Not the best bet when needing to find something quickly. And also doesn't include the Japanese themed ones which I haven't punched yet.

Also, one other thing, you certainly don't need a bag set like this if you don't plan to paint. In that case you can just get some big parts storage containers from a hardware store and put them in those.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aerol Bibat
Philippines
Taguig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses - only have the base set but plan to just get the two expansions and the KS heroes off eBay. I'm thinking of going the magnets and sheet metal option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake G.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I've seen previously people using these multi drawer storage cabinets, usually used for hardware like screws and nails etc, to store their minis.

I've looked at a few on Amazon, but the measurements of the drawers seem like they would be too small, I'm not sure.

Does anyone use one of these multi drawer cabinets to store there minis, and can make a recommendation for a suitable one?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I bought a bunch of Battle Foam cases with custom sets of foam trays. Got a PACK 1520 XL, 2x PACK Plus, and a PACK 216. Yes, it was really expensive.

I bought some Battle Foam stuff as well and it's ... acceptable. I mean it certainly stores things well. But the issue is retrieval. Unless I'm grabbing something out of the one top-loading units (which are the smallest ones), taking out even a single mini is a full-body operation. I have to stand up, deadlift the whole structure in one hand so that enough vertical space is created by gravity inside the PACK units to pull out (no less than) 3 trays in the other hand, then root through them to find the mini I need. Then put it all back, or accept the reality that all of my surface space will eventually be taken up by foam trays.

It's working, but its prohibitive. Do you have any tips or insight as to how to make this process less of a giant pain in the ass? I'm using a bunch of PACK Plus and the trays fit too snuggly to be able to access them quickly without going through the above physical challenge.

And of course the cat is constantly trying to thwart me, but that's hardly the fault of Battle Foam.

- Jee
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
ScottE wrote:
I bought a bunch of Battle Foam cases with custom sets of foam trays. Got a PACK 1520 XL, 2x PACK Plus, and a PACK 216. Yes, it was really expensive.

I bought some Battle Foam stuff as well and it's ... acceptable. I mean it certainly stores things well. But the issue is retrieval. Unless I'm grabbing something out of the one top-loading units (which are the smallest ones), taking out even a single mini is a full-body operation. I have to stand up, deadlift the whole structure in one hand so that enough vertical space is created by gravity inside the PACK units to pull out (no less than) 3 trays in the other hand, then root through them to find the mini I need. Then put it all back, or accept the reality that all of my surface space will eventually be taken up by foam trays.

It's working, but its prohibitive. Do you have any tips or insight as to how to make this process less of a giant pain in the ass? I'm using a bunch of PACK Plus and the trays fit too snuggly to be able to access them quickly without going through the above physical challenge.

And of course the cat is constantly trying to thwart me, but that's hardly the fault of Battle Foam.

- Jee

I was thinking of putting side labels on each tray and then stacking them on the couch when we play. Then can grab a tray I need to unpack. Definitely takes time to pull each out otherwise. But having to go to each case, check each tray, and then pull out is certainly going to slow down the game otherwise.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Brown
msg tools
mbmb
aerolb wrote:
Just bought this and I love it - however, how are people storing their assembled minis? It doesn't seem like it would fir in the current box and I plan to buy the coming expansions.


Here is my storage for FF. https://imgur.com/gallery/SbFPIWa
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.