Kinan Diraneyya
msg tools
mb
Hi,
So I have this concept that I have been working on for a while. It is not mature, but it is useable, so I wanted to share it with you guys in order to improve it further. I will explain the concept first, and then I will list possible problems at the end.
The basic idea is the existence of a "shared location tracker" that each player should take on his turn and then secretly check it based on his vision and then updated it based on his movement.

The first implementation I came up with was using cards. Each "sector" on the map would have its own card. The back** of the card would have the sector's id while the face** would have the possible options of who is present in this sector:

So the orientation of the card tells which player is currently present in the sector (possibly no one). The back** of the card doesn't give away its orientation because you only flip the card if you have vision on the section**. The deck would have a card on top showing its base orientation:

You might have noticed that some sectors had 2 cards, that is because some sectors have certain resources that players can take, so the other card is used to keep track of those recourses.
(The cards are used in secret, maybe under the table or behind a small player screen)**

The second implementation takes more work to implement, it also involves Captain Sonar's type of writing and erasing, which some people might not prefer; however, it offers greater potential.
Instead of cards, the shared medium would be a smaller version of the game board, each sector will be covered with a cover that can easily be removed (or perhaps opened like a basement's door), the covers will show the sector's name (this example assumes a linear map for simplicity):

Below the cover, there is blank space that you can write anything into. Each player will have his own colored marker, so if we are talking a game like twilight imperium, the player would write something like 1WS 2C 1D, which would stand for 1 warsun, 2 cruisers and 1 dreadnaught (in his color):

When moving, you write those ships into where they moved and you erase them from where they left (in this example, the player moved from sector 1 to sector 2):

In both implementations, players would secretly track their units until they are revealed in battle, then the revealed units are placed on the game board. The best way to track the units is on a smaller hidden map (one for each player). In my case, I used a magnetic surface with magnetic tokens, but you can really use any kind of screen to hide them:

Pros:
* Allows hidden movement for all players, unlike Fury of Dracula and other hidden movement games.
* Adding a second card or a second page (depending on the implementation) for each sector allows implementing invisibility as well.

Cons:
* This concept doesn't work so well with fast-paced games because it takes time to use each round.
* This concept becomes harder to manage when you have more units, you might have to resort to fleets (writing down the fleet's number instead of each individual unit, something like star trek's fleet system).
* This concept requires one extra mini-map per player (or team) in addition to the location tracker itself. That is plenty of maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I understand your first concept completely. Can you provide some more info?

As for the second, it reminds me very much of the old concept of having an array of (match)boxes, each box corresponding to a gridcell on the map. Whenever one of your units is in square B8, put some token in the box labeled B8. If there is an enemy token as well, contact is made. Since you can’t see what’s in the boxes unless you have troops in that particular map location, information remains hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not getting the first example either.

It took me a while to realise that 'top' and 'bottom' are what are more commonly referred to as 'face' and 'back'. Top and bottom I thought were the upper half and lower half of the one side of one card.

Is there a single deck of cards for both players? If I've moved some support units into sector A1, do I rotate the card so that it represents 'support' units in the direction of the orientation arrow?

But my opponent's going to see me rotating that card. I'm confused...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinan Diraneyya
msg tools
mb
brettellmd wrote:
I'm not getting the first example either.

It took me a while to realise that 'top' and 'bottom' are what are more commonly referred to as 'face' and 'back'. Top and bottom I thought were the upper half and lower half of the one side of one card.

Is there a single deck of cards for both players? If I've moved some support units into sector A1, do I rotate the card so that it represents 'support' units in the direction of the orientation arrow?

But my opponent's going to see me rotating that card. I'm confused...

Sorry about that, my native language use's the same words for both, I edited the post.

In this example, each team only had one support and one carry (this is a MOBA game done after dota2), assuming the enemy also had his support there, then a combat will occur, and players will place their units on the main board to resolve it there.

I also added a note that the cards should be used in secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinan Diraneyya
msg tools
mb
philip.dutre wrote:
I am not sure I understand your first concept completely. Can you provide some more info?

As for the second, it reminds me very much of the old concept of having an array of (match)boxes, each box corresponding to a gridcell on the map. Whenever one of your units is in square B8, put some token in the box labeled B8. If there is an enemy token as well, contact is made. Since you can’t see what’s in the boxes unless you have troops in that particular map location, information remains hidden.

Yeah, this is exactly the same idea, I guess I reinvented the same concept.

Since this existed for a while and wasn't improved to become more practical, I am guessing I won't be arriving at a better solution any time soon. This seemed like the best solution to the problem, so I was excited to see if it can be improved upon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.