Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Chang
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been any mention of how thick the dual layer player boards are?

I’m tempted to back the Kickstarter campaign just for the player boards, but I’m concerned that the player boards will be poor quality (like most of the other TM components). I’m actually not too fussed about the expansion itself as I play mainly solo.

Does anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They've given no real details about the player boards. If you notice, the graphic mockup they're using for them has only white cubes on it, all of which are the same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lacroix
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmb
I doubt they developped a new technology just for this, so we should have something similar to previous games like Lisboa or Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chang
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
couic wrote:
I doubt they developped a new technology just for this, so we should have something similar to previous games like Lisboa or Scythe.

I know dual layer player boards have been done before, but so has normal player boards, cards and cubes, yet Terraforming Mars has the thinnest player board and cards of any game in my collection. The cubes are also the worst quality of any of my games.

I guess my query was really about whether Stronghold Games would be able to make a dual layer player board which was high quality (like Scythe, Dinosaur Island etc). Despite Terraforming Mars being a great game, the components are awful and very poor quality for what should be a premium game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Applefiend wrote:
couic wrote:

I know dual layer player boards have been done before, but so has normal player boards, cards and cubes, yet Terraforming Mars has the thinnest player board and cards of any game in my collection. The cubes are also the worst quality of any of my games.

I guess my query was really about whether Stronghold Games would be able to make a dual layer player board which was high quality (like Scythe, Dinosaur Island etc). Despite Terraforming Mars being a great game, the components are awful and very poor quality for what should be a premium game.

The cards, the cubes and the board are fine. Only the player mats are bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:

The cards, the cubes and the board are fine. Only the player mats are bad.

The paint on my cubes is flaking off. Looking online it seems there are a lot of people with similar issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat, thinking of backing just for the boards.

If anyone has seeing these boards, please let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be just thick enough to almost be useful but way to thick not to warp horribly in most environments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
It'll be just thick enough to almost be useful but way to thick not to warp horribly in most environments.

Right now everyone is excited about the player boards. It's only a matter of time before there's backlash at the "poor quality" of them once received, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Right now everyone is excited about the player boards. It's only a matter of time before there's backlash at the "poor quality" of them once received, lol.

Sadly this is so true. TM gets lots of flack from a small handful of people who seem eternally unhappy that the game is not Rolls Royce level quality at a Honda Accord-equivalent price point (and quality equivalent to an HA, which is a good car).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After countless warped double-layered boards I'm convinced they need to be backed by something rigid that doesn't warp, like hard plastic or unobtainium!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
varianor wrote:
alphasixty wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Sadly this is so true. TM gets lots of flack from a small handful of people who seem eternally unhappy that the game is not Rolls Royce level quality at a Honda Accord-equivalent price point (and quality equivalent to an HA, which is a good car).

What are you talking about? TM is not exactly noticably cheaper than any other game of this kind, yet it has the thinnest playing cards I've encountered in any card game.

I mean, I love TM and almost everything about TM, but the components are, to be honest, among the lowest quality of all the games in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chang
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysticum wrote:

What are you talking about? TM is not exactly noticably cheaper than any other game of this kind, yet it has the thinnest playing cards I've encountered in any card game.

I mean, I love TM and almost everything about TM, but the components are, to be honest, among the lowest quality of all the games in my collection.

Couldn’t agree more! Maybe we have been spoilt by the high quality components of other games, but TM has probably the worst components of any game I own.

When I actually opened my copy of the game I was concerned that it may have actually been a counterfeit copy as the quality was so bad, so I reached out to Stronghold Games who confirmed that I had a legitimate copy.

TM gameplay is great, and Stronghold customer service was first rate, but the quality of the components need improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Loader
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepex82 wrote:

The question has been asked but I have not seen an answer whether the player boards will be available in a pledge manager as an add on. And then the question is what will they cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bremer
msg tools
I have the same question. I'm mostly interested in the boards--the expansion is just an added bonus.
I'd be pretty disappointed if the boards are double thick garbage.

I'd love to see a photo of the actual boards, or a quick video review before backing. I wonder if they've even made one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had designed my own board and was just about to order a laser cut birch wood test of it, but then the expansion boards was announced, so I'll wait out and see how they are. Worst case they are not what I want them to be, and I will sell them off at a profit. And then order my own boards, and spend a lot of money on that instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
bonnyaclyde wrote:
pepex82 wrote:

The question has been asked but I have not seen an answer whether the player boards will be available in a pledge manager as an add on. And then the question is what will they cost.

I'm not interested in the expansion but I do want the player mats. Can I purchase just the mats, or will they be available after the Kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryantw wrote:
bonnyaclyde wrote:
pepex82 wrote:

I'm not interested in the expansion but I do want the player mats. Can I purchase just the mats, or will they be available after the Kickstarter?

They will be available after yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lacroix
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:
bryantw wrote:
bonnyaclyde wrote:
pepex82 wrote:

They will be available after yes.

I wouldn't so sure they will be easily available. According to the KS:

Dito from KS wrote:
Promo - An item that Kickstarter backers will get in their rewards, and will not be included in the retail edition of Terraforming Mars: Turmoil. These items may be released at a future date as promotional materials and/or game expansions.

Promo items from this project will be available in the future from all the partners participating in this project, and from all the partners not participating. There is nothing in this project that is exclusive to pledging for this project. Each partner that makes Terraforming Mars will determine how they will distribute promos in their languages after the project ends.

They are speaking about all the material labelled PROMO, which includes the cards. I wouldn't be be so sure they plan to overproduce many boards, since it will have a quite a cost (compared to cards, that is).

So you MIGHT find the boards in some convention, but you should forget finding them in your local store. You might find them on Ebay, but I doubt they will be cheap.

And no, the KS doesn't allow you to buy only the boards, as explicitely written in the FAQ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
couic wrote:
They are speaking about all the material labelled PROMO, which includes the cards. I wouldn't be be so sure they plan to overproduce many boards, since it will have a quite a cost (compared to cards, that is).

So you MIGHT find the boards in some convention, but you should forget finding them in your local store. You might find them on Ebay, but I doubt they will be cheap.

And no, the KS doesn't allow you to buy only the boards, as explicitely written in the FAQ...

I believe someone wrote in the comments section that they'll be available at Fryxgames website after the Kickstarter, as long as they have a stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lacroix
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:
couic wrote:

I believe someone wrote in the comments section that they'll be available at Fryxgames website after the Kickstarter, as long as they have a stock.

And the stock might be rather limited... I doubt they will reproduce more anytime soon (or at a prohibitive price...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
couic wrote:

And the stock might be rather limited... I doubt they will reproduce more anytime soon (or at a prohibitive price...).

What I can say is that all their KS partners will have all components available for them to sell, so the print run will be of a substantial size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Starick
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:
I had designed my own board and was just about to order a laser cut birch wood test of it, but then the expansion boards was announced, so I'll wait out and see how they are. Worst case they are not what I want them to be, and I will sell them off at a profit. And then order my own boards, and spend a lot of money on that instead.

And I have just finished 3D printing my own set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that they actually don’t know what the thickness is going to be yet. Sure they have a planned thickness, but as with everything, it needs to be tested. Also, the boards materials would probably be important, and as there are so many different possible materials, FryxGames and the factory is probably doing specimens to see how they can produce them in the best possible way for the money they can spend on them.

Cardboard materials is a science of its own with so many different factors. Layer thickness, cover paper quality, print type, surface finish, glue types, cutting technology and so on. Also, the upper board would probably need a different setup than the lower board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they only show a 3D render of a board, I also assume they are not even close to a finished product, and that they were therefore a late decision for the Kickstarter, to actually promote sales. A LOT of people would likely sit out on the Kickstarter if it wasn't for the boards, since they could just get the expansion retail shortly after the kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.