1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wingspan» Forums » General

Subject: Already number 3 family game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: WingspanWhyWhyWhyIDontGetIt [+] [View All]
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
How is this game already N3 family game? It still has not hit a lot of shops! There are known problems with it. Like the fact that you pray for luck of the draw and you can not stop someone who is just luckung out, and also that 17 cards are the same one with different bird on it. It already is better than all the classics? And All if this hype is simply because people love Stonemaier games for Viticulture and specially Scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Vasholz
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Wingspan yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shrug. The BGG algorithms are imperfect. It's a popular new game that's getting good ratings and lots of mentions. It'll come up the charts and then settle back down in the fullness of time.

What's more important to you is whether YOU like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
I played it once, not bad, not great. Will not be the hit the other SM games are. In 3 years there will not be still buzz about it like ... TTR lets say. But now that more people are on BGG, they give 9s for the game, will play it 2 more times and the 9 will stay forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
I played it once, not bad, not great. Will not be the hit the other SM games are. In 3 years there will not be still buzz about it like ... TTR lets say. But now that more people are on BGG, they give 9s for the game, will play it 2 more times and the 9 will stay forever.

How many games maintain buzz after 3 years? Any?
You played it once, although your opinion on your one game play is valid, long term impressions and stayability are hard to determine after one play.
You couldn't have seen all 17 of the "same" cards in your one play, so I would withold judgement on them.
If you don't like it, thats fine. One less person in line to buy the third printing. This entire site is a popularity contest, so criticizing its place on a list or someone else's rating is insignificant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley Laurel
United States
flag msg tools
Is it actually a difficult concept for you to understand how tastes are subjective and a lot of people may genuinely love this game or are you just trolling?

So just to clarify, the reason why this game is N3 family is simply because a lot of people really like it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
Actually the reason this game is so high is simply because the BGG's rating system is bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
Travdaddy11 wrote:
realfen wrote:

How many games maintain buzz after 3 years? Any?
You played it once, although your opinion on your one game play is valid, long term impressions and stayability are hard to determine after one play.
You couldn't have seen all 17 of the "same" cards in your one play, so I would withold judgement on them.
If you don't like it, thats fine. One less person in line to buy the third printing. This entire site is a popularity contest, so criticizing its place on a list or someone else's rating is insignificant.

Catan, Scythe, Carcassone, TTR, Codenames, Agricola, Stone age, 7 Wonders, Blood rage, Power grid, Viticulture, Pandemic, Terra mystica, Azul will do the same when it becomes 3yo and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/themillshow
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
Actually the reason this game is so high is simply because the BGG's rating system is bad.

Or, maybe it's just not for you. It certain has more interest from my girls than TTR. So in my house, it's certainly higher than TTR.

Furthermore, BGG rankings are just that. BGG rankings. It's how BGG's algorithm feels based on something known only to BGG.

The only ranking that actually matters is YOUR ranking, and it matters to you and you alone. Don't sweat what a website thinks it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardedOne wrote:
Furthermore, BGG rankings are just that. BGG rankings. It's how BGG's algorithm feels based on something known only to BGG.

In order of BGG rating, which iirc is the average user rating, plus dummy votes to weigh things more towards I think 5.5 the less ratings a game has, plus some opaque anti-review bomb measures that were introduced I think during the Puerto Rico/Twilight Struggle/Agricola for #1 rating war back in iirc 2012. The details I'm not sure on, however.

Plus it's now got enough people voting it into the family game category to show up as a family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
Catan, Scythe, Carcassone, TTR, Codenames, Agricola, Stone age, 7 Wonders, Blood rage, Power grid, Viticulture, Pandemic, Terra mystica, Azul will do the same when it becomes 3yo and more.

They will? How do you know? How do you measure Buzz?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the fact that many people don't feel like, for a family game, that who wins is all that important? I know I certainly feel that way. If someone wins because they were "luckier" than me, I am fine with it as long as the game was engaging, offered me something to figure out and made me want to play again immediately, it is a hit with me. The statement about bird cards is just hate and not at all accurate. I am fine if Wingspan gets to No. 1 in this category. I certainly won't do anything except help it reach that area with my rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:

Probably. But why does it matter though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
Travdaddy11 wrote:
realfen wrote:

Azul will. I never said "they" because all the other games are already over 3 years old. Obviously you do not know that these are all older games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley Laurel
United States
flag msg tools
realfen wrote:

ACKSHUALLY *SNORT* people really like this game and so have rated it very highly. I know it's hard for you to understand that people don't all think the same way as you do about games but you'll get there one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
Travdaddy11 wrote:
realfen wrote:

Azul will. I never said "they" because all the other games are already over 3 years old. Obviously you do not know that these are all older games...

Catan wasn’t released this year? Shoot! My fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG algorithm is infallible and non negotiatable. You have to live with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played it 7 times so far and I probably enjoyed my latest game the most... so yeah, I'm OK with that position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
realfen wrote:
How is this game already N3 family game?There are known problems with it.

To me your sentence sounds more like an opinion than a fact.
The game is great,beautiful,easy to learn and with a new unique theme. So of course it’s number 3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justice_Bolt wrote:
realfen wrote:
How is this game already N3 family game?There are known problems with it.

To me your sentence sounds more like an opinion than a fact.
The game is great,beautiful,easy to learn and with a new unique theme. So of course it’s number 3!

The problems are known!!! Come on!!! Dont argue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and taught it nearly 40 times.

What problems? I've never encountered any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

I am hoping Travis was trying to be funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
It already is better than all the classics?

You could have shortened your post to "I don't understand how BGG rankings work". It's not trying to say which games are "better", but instead merely providing a way to see what games are popular among BGG users. If you can accept that, life will make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

I know one off the bat. It just needs more of something . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it once and I was not impressed enough to play it again. I’ve seen all of it before and I was particularly frustrated with how the important information on the cards is difficult to see from across the table making it nearly impossible to keep tabs on opponents. I also found the card abilities to be a bit bland.

I could quickly list a few dozen games I would much rather play in a family setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.