Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some background info.
As I'm a doofus (hardly the ideal sentence to introduce yourself with) I'm still struggling a little with the rules and how to play. Not being a linear thinker (says he labelling himself) I find it hard to learn game rules and work my way through rule books as I drift off at a ridiculous tangent somewhere or other about three seconds in. I therefore leave the rules to my wife and son whilst I crack on with painting, which I thoroughly enjoy, as I can let my mind wander.

I would therefore find it hard *cough* impossible, *cough* pointless to post a rules video / tutorial, but thought I'd give my thoughts on painting these for anyone interested.

I don't profess to be a 'pro-painter' or anything, but have painted a lot of my game collection. Therefore I thought these musings of an average Joe (Chill), might be of use to anyone starting out...

The Plastic;
My initial thoughts on the figures are very positive. It's a different type of plastic to most of the stuff I paint. It's a similar material to Zombicide with the big difference being the recessed bases. Those caused a few problems with warping, but nothing a good boiling hot bath / ice-dunk (sounds like a punishment Two-Face would employ) didn't solve.

Mould Lines
Lots and lots of them. Again not a problem and something I'm used to. Par for the course with two-part moulds. Nothing some needle files and a stiff brush didn't cure, but it did take a bit of time. Necessary for me as I hate mould lines...

Details
The figures themselves are lovely. Lots of character, lots of details. I especially love the crisp details on the cloth which makes it really easy to get great and simple contrasts very quickly.

The Plan
I wanted to get some of the grunts out of the way before I started on the heroes and villains. I usually batch paint in this way, else I'd always end up with a slew of unpainted 'rank and file' as I'd never be motivated to do them. I even picked the gruntiest of the grunts as they are the most vanilla (sorry fellas but you are). Riddler and Joker's goons will be manna from above after these.

So...

I wanted to get these to the table pretty quickly so I'm going with a down-and-dirty method. Zenithal shading; black undercoat, grey sprayed at 45˚, followed by white sprayed directly from above. That way a few ink washes should take care of a lot of the groundwork.

In order to motivate myself (do you get the idea I struggle with motivation?) I originally planned to reward myself with one hero / villain in and amongst every batch of grunts. I chose Grundy as I love the character and love this sculpt. However, it soon became apparent to me that I would rather lavish a bit more care and attention on the main protagonists, so soon buried (Grundy pun intended) that notion.

It might look a little daunting, but really it's not.

In order to speed things up, I chose a limited colour palette that I could use across all the figures. I didn't want all the figures of one type to be identical, so just varied where I put each colour; paint blue jeans on some, brown tops / jackets on others etc. Then shade and highlight all the blues in one go etc...

The hazmat guys were slightly different in that they consisted of only one colour. I did contemplate also doing a red and a blue hazmat guy to make four individual ones, but figured that that would be overkill and look like a Skittle explosion on the board, so settled for two orange and two yellow.

All in all, it's only taken a couple of days, (roughly eight or so hours in total) to get to this stage. Which for me is quite good for twenty figures. I reckon I'll finish these today. The plan is to treat myself to some good guy candy, but I'm actually feeling the urge to carry on with grunt central...

Hope some of this is either useful or at least entertaining...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great work! I too struggle with motivation sometimes, especially uninspiring models, bad color schemes, or batch painting grunts. Sometimes you just have to power through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice color palette. I like your choices a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Wow, great work! I too struggle with motivation sometimes, especially uninspiring models, bad color schemes, or batch painting grunts. Sometimes you just have to power through.

Thanks Jack.
Yeah, that's where I'm at. Couldn't agree more. Sometimes you've just got to get stuck in. A job begun is half done, (and other such Mary Poppins-esque nonsense).

I've shed loads (almost literally) of miniature games I've yet to paint, but as I'm a huge Batman fan (that's a huge fan of Batman, not that I'm particularly huge), I wanted to do these.

It's a poisoned chalice. I was delighted there were so many figures, but also (inwardly) wept at the thought of painting them. That's why I'm going for down and dirty grunts (that sounds wrong) first. Then I can geek out on all the lovely heroes and villains.

I am seriously considering doing more grunts next though. This is the first serious painting I've done in anger for a while and I've thoroughly enjoyed doing these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! I'm like you - I try to bang out the batch work first, using the individual heroes as the motivation to get done. When the project is almost done, I seem to pick up speed to the end, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
Will you paint their skin or leave them as they are in the pictures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fish
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so jealous of you people who can paint. I wish I was so skilled.

Time to get cracking on some youtube tutorials. I need to see things like this in motion to grasp them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfF00LS wrote:

Time to get cracking on some youtube tutorials. I need to see things like this in motion to grasp them.

Like anything, it just takes practice. I'm certainly no expert, but I do my best and it always looks better than just plain plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matzer
United States
WAKE FOREST
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These look great! 8 hours for 20 pieces! I wish I could paint as good as fast. I just started last year, really enjoy it, but still learning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
This is exactly how I would start to paint minions. So they look all little diffferent and can be painted also fast. I did this already with Zombicide zombies.

Some like the Hazmat-Thugs, Riddler Gang, I will paint in the same color. Maybe the faces different or even the heads get swapped.

Harley's Thugs are in my opinion also good for Two-Face, so I will paint them so that 2 will fit together.

Also the Owls I plan not to change. They should look all the same. But I think I will change the hair a little bit. I also hope that I can modify 2 of the Gun Owls into females.

Big plans, so what I really can make possible, I will see. :-)

vondarkmoor wrote:
These look great! 8 hours for 20 pieces! I wish I could paint as good as fast. I just started last year, really enjoy it, but still learning.

It is not so hard. Take all minins which should get different colors together. Chose 6-10 paints for the clothes. Take 2x4 different minions sculpts. Paint the first 4 different sculpts with blue upper body and the 4 others with blue lower body. Switch paint to brown and the first 4 get lower body in brown and upper body in blue.

Do the same with highlights.

8-10 minis is a good number for speed painting. Don't do more. But if you have fresh blue or brown, you can use it for another set of 2x4 minis to just paint their shoes and put them away again to paint the rest of them later.

For police men it will be even easier, you will paint all in the same colors, maybe different skins, only. So take 8 police men and paint them all blue. Paint all weapons black and later in metal. Same shoes, same accessories. Ok, maybe different shoes. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
Really nice color palette. I like your choices a lot.

Thanks Luke. Earthy colours and a limited palette just seemed to suit them. We also don't want them stealing the glory from the main cast, they are sidemen after all

However, the brutes with the ripped shirts have a large 'No.9' on their backs, so they're probably wearing sports shirts, which conceivably would be quite colourful.

Well it's too late now you big apes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:
Awesome!
Will you paint their skin or leave them as they are in the pictures?

Skin's painted now mate. I always leave it to last as, for me at least, it pulls the whole figure together. Going to finish the bases, then I'll post the finished figs on this thread.

KingOfF00LS wrote:

Seriously, it's just practice. I've still got the first figure I ever painted, a plastic GW dwarf. I was so proud of it. Looking back, it's pretty (very) basic and the progression to present day is evident, but you'd be surprised at how quickly you improve. Even just blocking in the base colours neatly can make a huge difference over an unpainted figure.

senorcoo wrote:
KingOfF00LS wrote:

Like anything, it just takes practice. I'm certainly no expert, but I do my best and it always looks better than just plain plastic.

What he said. It's just practice. You'll be surprised how quickly you progress. Even a single coat, with no highlights or shading can look great.

vondarkmoor wrote:

Thanks mate. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly they came together. Simple palette and unified colour schemes spread across the figures make for a huge time saving.
The key is just to enjoy it and to have fun. It's quite therapeutic and the sense of achievement when you finish a figure or a group, never really diminishes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Teskal Fink;
Thanks for the input TF. Some good advice. Yeah, the key is to get them painted fast but looking sufficiently different. A limited colour palette spread across the figures is certainly the way to go.

It's a slightly different approach as to when I did a huge infestation of zombies for Zombicide as those figures (zombies) are dumped on the board then removed, so they can be quite basic. These grunts hang around for most of the scenario, so for me, they still have to look half-decent

Teskal wrote:

Also the Owls I plan not to change. They should look all the same. But I think I will change the hair a little bit. I also hope that I can modify 2 of the Gun Owls into females.

Big plans, so what I really can make possible, I will see. :-)

I like this idea. I don't like all figures being necessarily the same and often do mini conversions. Don't know if I'll do that with the owls or not.
Would be interested to see yours once complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, calling these stinkers done. Would have posted earlier but Easter, family, chocolate etc got in the way.
About three days, 12-14 hours sum total, which is acceptable to me for twenty figures. I've decided to crack on with more rank and file and probably the cops as I can bottom all the blue uniforms in one go. It will probably be indeterminably dull (self-fulfilling prophecy alert) but will bring me one step closer to 'the good stuff'.

Pics to enjoy... or not.

"John, did you step in something?"

He ain't heavy...

To the left, to the left...

Guns in the air like you just don't care...

Right, who didn't put deodorant on this morning?...

You there at the back... stop messing around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap!!!!!
Envy is corroding me laugh

Very very very nice job!!! the bases with the green toxic liquid of the hazmat guys are terrific!
Edit: base with blood of the guy with the gun and green jacket is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chez Jezz wrote:

May I ask how did you paint the green toxic residues on the ground?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:
Chez Jezz wrote:

May I ask how did you paint the green toxic residues on the ground?

Thanks for the nice comments mate. The toxic waste is pretty easy (although there was a slight touch of serendipity about it ).
1) Initially just get some two-part epoxy resin. Cheap stuff will do. I got some for less than a quid in a pound store in the UK.
2) Mix some sort of suitable green colour into it and leave it to dry.
I used some Citadel green ink. I was contemplating using (Citadel's) Moot Green but figured it was too bright. However, when the ink / epoxy had dried I thought it came out too dark. I took the Moot Green, watered it down a little and layered it over the top. It came out a touch translucent and showed a bit of the darker green underneath.

Trial and error really. It dries so quickly it's easy just to try a few recipes on a piece of white card and see what you prefer.

Give us a shout if you need some more info.

edit: Mix the epoxy with a cocktail stick or suchlike NOT one of your best brushes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Righto, decided to crack on with some more 'vanilla dregs' (sorry fellas, but you are). I reckon once I've done these, most of the hard grind is done and I can enjoy some painting gravy (what does that even mean?!!).

I've also decided I'm going to attempt to do all the cops in one go, yes all 28 of them! Here be pics.

Everything cleaned up and mounted - Ha! Ha! Mounted Policemen...

All primed and ready to accept some paint.

Must... get... all.. of.. the... blue... done...

Bit further along but still blue without you...

I reckon there's about 6 hours of painting up to this point which isn't too bad. The trouble with this kind of painting, for me personally, is knowing when to stop. You can always pfaff about adding more and more details and highlights, but I've learned over the years to stop when you're satisfied (and it DID take me a while to learn this). These guys are kind of 'rank and file' and whilst I want them to look good, I won't go overkill with them.

Hopefully I'll nail them in the next day or so and get on to the candy. I might even treat myself to a villain...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, you are my hero!
Very nice and quick job!!
You should have your own miniature on this game: the Villain Mr. Jez armed with two priming spray cans laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:
Man, you are my hero!
Very nice and quick job!!
You should have your own miniature on this game: the Villain Mr. Jez armed with two priming spray cans laugh

Ha! Ha! Thanks for the compliment you madman. Yeah, sounds like the sort of villain I'd be... a step lower than The Condiment King... at least you can eat that mustard and ketchup he's carrying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Jez
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again. Apologies to anyone following this thread for the semi-lack of progress, but we had a bit of a rough week as a family. However, the cops are now done, dun, dun, dun, derrr (that was supposed to be dramatic music-a-like).

They weren't too bad as I could blast through lots of the blue at once. The black was a pain. Black is always a colour (is it a colour or an absence of colour ) I hate painting. However, it's done now and these guys, along with the thugs I finished a couple of weeks back, have gone a long way to breaking the back of the drudge. I could always play a game of goodies vs baddies... says he sounding like a six year old.

28 figures in one go is definitely pushing my boredom, enthusiasm and endurance thresholds though. whistle

Think I'll reward myself next with a few heroes and villains - yay!

Anyway, no one wants to hear waffle. Here's some pictures!

Sadly, the baton twirling practice wasn't going to plan...

Right, Simon says, "Put your hands up!"

"Why did we have to carry the picnic basket?"

"Weird deng cops of the future or something!"

Shield, won't let you down!

Altogether now, Y.M.C.A.!

Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!!!
Please please please, keep posting, whenever you have the time
Above all, don't get into family problems because of that xD

by the way, I guess you have proceeded with all these different cops as you did with previous miniatures right? prime black, spray prime white from above (and some gray also?), then base paint with watered paint to let the lights of the white priming shine, right? then some details and so on.
But same speed-painting technique as previously?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have batman and nightwing done....

Wow your speed amazes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.