Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I’ll be in Brighton for a couple days in May and I was wondering if anyone could give their opinion on Stanmer Park. Or is there any “can’t miss” places in Brighton to check out? I think we’re going to have a picnic on the beach our first day.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Burdett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
I SHALL DESTROY ALL THE CIVILIZED PLANETS
mbmbmbmbmb
Brighton Pavilion

The Lanes

The Sea Life centre (great Victorian architecture)

None of that has anything to do with boardgames, of course (though the comic shop in the lanes does sell those)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stanmer Park is very pleasant:
https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/leisure-and-librari...

Easy public transport into centre of Brighton and a premier league football ground just across the road (whether it's still a premier league ground by May is in some doubt)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I think we’re going to have a picnic on the beach our first day.

On a warm, still day that's fun. Bear in mind it's a stony beach, well, a pebble beach so bring good blankets or chairs. On a windy day with an onshore wind you'll enjoy soggy sandwiches from the sea spray in your face. May is often quite cold so dress warm, and it rains about 1 day out of 2 so have a backup plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's a good decade since I last visited, and well over 2 decades since I lived there, but FWIW:

Add the North Laines (yes with an 'i') onto a visit to the Lanes. The latter is firmly aimed at tourists, whilst the former has more appeal locally and typically has some lovely quirky shops.

On the seafront heading westwards, they had a whole row of Petanque/Boules courts set up last time we visited. The setting is good.

Nightlife was always going every day of the week, which was a nice contrast to many towns/cities that are dead outside of Friday/Saturday nights

If you like walking, Devil's Dyke has some great views.

Volks railway was (IIRC) the first electric railway, so might appeal as you can still ride on it from the pier towards the marina. Do keep an eye out for photos of the 'Spider' train (long since gone). It may look too bizarre to be true, but that train did indeed descend into the sea on rails (and stilts).

The pier is worth a walk around, but avoid weekends/bank holidays if you can, as it's much more pleasant with less people around - and I used to enjoy it as much in winter as in summer.

For ultra quirky, there is a museum of natural history on Dyke Rd, that arose from an over-enthusiastic game hunter, whose trophies presented a quandary for the council when he died. The compromise was this museum.

For music, the venues under the arches on the seafront used to be a breeding ground for innovation / new trends.

I hope this gives a few ideas, but Brighton is a place that changes on every visit. It is vibrant and dynamic (albeit in the end I decided I also found it a bit grubby at times, and a little too busy for me). A great place to visit, and one that should richly reward a little advance prep.

Regards
Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.