Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Gamer, Magic player, etc. but never played PACG. I keep reading that the initial few scenarios are “frustratingly difficult”. But I am wanting some of the more varied scenarios and complexities this one has to offer over the first game, which I read can be a bit dull.

Has anyone come up with a way to start out a little stronger to curb this? Or should I consider just getting The original Rise of the Runelords version?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Hi all,

Gamer, Magic player, etc. but never played PACG. I keep reading that the initial few scenarios are “frustratingly difficult”. But I am wanting some of the more varied scenarios and complexities this one has to offer over the first game, which I read can be a bit dull.

Has anyone come up with a way to start out a little stronger to curb this? Or should I consider just getting The original Rise of the Runelords version?

Thanks in advance!

I just started a campaign a couple weeks ago. Playing 4 player.
Only lost 1 game so far through 12 scenarios completed.
I see no real difficulty.

Playing Adowyn, Shardra, Enora, Crowe

Having the healing spells via Shardra and Adowyn are a real help.
Probably would not have been as successful without them.

I have not read any of the posts here about difficulty so I don't know what people are struggling with.

IMO, just dive into this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmikolaj wrote:

Having the healing spells via Shardra and Adowyn are a real help.
Probably would not have been as successful without them.

Sounds like great advice! We will definitely play these characters.

Other advice welcome from others too! Looking to have the smoothest experience possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ryan
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! It’s an awesome fun set. The Paizo FAQ is really helpful, and they even have an entry for those that are finding it too difficult early on:

https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1h4#v5748eaic9u1s

So there is a suggested easier option from the designer.

I’d also suggest The Mummy’s Mask. I own, but haven’t started it yet, but I’ve heard it gets the difficulty balance right, and has some cool, new additions to the system as well.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjbeats wrote:
Welcome! It’s an awesome fun set. The Paizo FAQ is really helpful, and they even have an entry for those that are finding it too difficult early on:

https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1h4#v5748eaic9u1s

So there is a suggested easier option from the designer.

I’d also suggest The Mummy’s Mask. I own, but haven’t started it yet, but I’ve heard it gets the difficulty balance right, and has some cool, new additions to the system as well.

Good luck!

Wow...those suggested changes really would make it way easier. I would not make them myself as the game is easy enough as it is IMO.
I will say that Demonic Horde is a real killer though. But, that is why I invest in getting ways to examine the top card.... so I can avoid stuff like that. It is part of the challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmikolaj wrote:

IMHO, if you cruised through the B adventures using a party with both Shardra and Enora, I have to wonder if you played all the rules correctly.

Especially: the Tangle Trap henchmen in The Elven Entanglement scenario do not grant a location close attempt after you defeat them. Using the cohort Vinst correctly does help, though.

You might just have been lucky & your casters did not encounter Carrion Golemns, and/or you did not drawn many Demonic Hordes or that damn tree barrier (whose name escapes me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
kmikolaj wrote:

IMHO, if you cruised through the B adventures using a party with both Shardra and Enora, I have to wonder if you played all the rules correctly.

Especially: the Tangle Trap henchmen in The Elven Entanglement scenario do not grant a location close attempt after you defeat them. Using the cohort Vinst correctly does help, though.

You might just have been lucky & your casters did not encounter Carrion Golemns, and/or you did not drawn many Demonic Hordes or that damn tree barrier (whose name escapes me).

Yes, have been playing correctly. We have been very careful when using our blessings & we all took blessings as our first card feat to give us more. Tangle Trap sucks...but just have to use your resources correctly to get extra explores. Also, just because we have only lost once does not mean it was not a challenge and didn't come down to the last couple blessings in the deck and not without close calls where someone almost died. I just don't see any need to make things easier is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:

Other advice welcome from others too! Looking to have the smoothest experience possible

One thing I like to do is, say someone happens to have 3 or 4 blessing in their hand. Have them explore 4 or 5 times on their turn and then have the healer immediately heal them to get those blessing shuffled back in (of course if there is other stuff in the discard, you are not guaranteed blessings). You've wiped out half of a location and half the time you'll hit the henchman/villain (of course, that could be a bad thing too )

Heal spell gets recharged. Have someone heal the healer so now that first heal spell is shuffled instead of on the bottom. Rinse & repeat. It does not always work of course...but it is a good way to keep blessing going back into a character's draw deck and keeping healing spells coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmikolaj wrote:
elcoderdude wrote:
kmikolaj wrote:

Yes, have been playing correctly. We have been very careful when using our blessings & we all took blessings as our first card feat to give us more. Tangle Trap sucks...but just have to use your resources correctly to get extra explores. Also, just because we have only lost once does not mean it was not a challenge and didn't come down to the last couple blessings in the deck and not without close calls where someone almost died. I just don't see any need to make things easier is all.

OK then.
Wrath is notoriously swingy, and especially so in the B adventure.
An unfortunate party of six characters might hit 3 Demonic Hordes and 3 Arboreal Blights. Add to that Enora flipping a card and encountering a Carrior Golem (probably resulting in a hand wipe plus 3 more cards). Most likely that party's not winning that scenario.
Another time out the party might not see any of these 3 worst B banes, and have a relatively easy time of it.
YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.