United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
Pick 'em Up!
badge
You know my methods, Watson.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't like the big book of spells variant in the eighth edition rulebook. To me, it makes a lot of spells pretty useless (Stone Dead comes to mind) since the cards they combo with are just too few and far between. For those of you that like it, why do you like it? I'm thinking it might just be a group perspective thing, but I wanted to see what other people feel are the variant's redeeming qualities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What we do is randomly roll each time we play for which 3 books we'll be shuffling together to make the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnson Orr
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
Pick 'em Up!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! We like to have each person pick a school (normally only three of us play at a time). I was wondering why people specifically like the variant where you just add all of the spells in the game together into one massive deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Searles
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AmysteryBox wrote:
I was wondering why people specifically like the variant where you just add all of the spells in the game together into one massive deck.

For starters, it's the original way the game was played. It's also much easier to setup. Some people really enjoy the pure chaos of it all.

Personally I play both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go Jira
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Big Book of Spell's is a good idea in theory, but not in practice.
Not in the "just throw everything into one pile" kind of way at least.

Wiz-War already has it's fair share of game sessions that fall flat due to the randomness of card draws as it is without watering down the deck further.

But the simplest way I have instituted Big Book of Spell's is to remove nearly all redundant spells from all cards in the game and expansions (and in 8th ed., there are a lot of them) and then combine them together to form the Magic deck.

Otherwise, the dilution in card distribution is too much, and a game session more often than not suffers for it. 8th ed. just wasn't designed for Big Book of Spells.

[edit]
If you own both expansions, here is a more complex, yet streamlined way to institute the idea of Big Book of Spells that we worked on over the course of time.
[/edit]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...I paid 100 GeekGold for THIS?
mbmbmb
I came to believe the same as you. I thought Big Book of Spells was a great idea in base game.

BUT... if you have the expansions, not so much. With the specific themed decks and cards that interact with each other, you want them to appear together, as you said. There are too many themed decks to mash together now. Mythological items or whatever are more fun if htey come out in multiples. Same goes for summons, Hexes, etc.

Setup issue really is unfortunate though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnson Orr
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
Pick 'em Up!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never found the set up to be too time consuming or annoying with selecting the decks, but then again I normally only play with three players where everyone can just kind of pick. I can see how adding them all together takes that set up time down. I do enjoy a bit of chaos, but I think it's correct to think that the expansions just kind of lose their intended structure when you play with all of the cards at once. A lot of totemic cards suffer in that sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's not a box, it's a...
badge
mbmbmb
Except for my first few plays I have always played with big book of spells. Never had one game fall flat. I like to play with the wild mix. And I agree that it saves setup time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anjovi Kulam
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
playing with bestial forces expansion, I've found that using most of glukose's suggested ommisions worked out for the most part, but our first 1 on 1 ended a bit of a dud....This was followed by 2 awesome games!

I decided to make some adjustments to try a spin on go jira's suggestion.

I followed his list for the most part, substituting cards that i'm missing from malefic curses that we've enjoyed in the prior games (tried to keep the ones with the 2ndary mana function balance in check)

From there, I went with the creature themed deck.

That said, i didn't stay totally true as I wanted to keep most of the items, relics, totems (just 1 of each, apart from the more universal stuff)

I'm hoping that the items will encourage more interesting endgames. particularly, the relics seem like they might prove to be cool end game powers for when a 1st kill or treasure is secured.

We really like the native american art for the totems, and think that one of each should do well enough (not worrying about spells that rely on them much apart from the totem snake)

So, that said, I'll be trying the big book of spells divided in half (120 cards out of the 240 available) I'm wondering if I might've thrown off the balance too much, but i can always revert it to the way i had it before, as even that 1st dud i mentioned was a pretty quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.