Subject: Shuttles or Lunar Modules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mickey McDonald
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Hey everyone! I'm a few days into my kickstarter for Brave New Worlds and I've gotten some feedback that people might like to see different manned spacecraft as the miniatures. So I wanted to poll gamers here - which mini excites you more? For context, this game is about sending orbiters, landers, and manned spacecraft out into the solar system in order to discover planets, moons, asteroids etc. that are *really out there* - all of the 70+ worlds represented in the game are ones that have actually been explored via spacecraft. And accompanying the game is a ~100 page booklet filled with high res photos and interesting facts about all these little worlds. So, in a sense I *am* trying to go for realism! But I'm also trying to get people who aren't necessarily huge space nerds excited about our solar system.

So I'm curious - which spacecraft do you like better for the "manned spacecraft" piece? The lunar module (left) is a more realistic depiction of something we might actually use for interplanetary exploration, but then the space shuttle is so much prettier. I feel like it's a choice between realism and aesthetics... would love to hear your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well I'd prefer them to be stylized as in you name and design them after already completed missions like apollo 11 and such, or use one of the purposed designs for future crafts able to land and take off again if the goal is to go to other planets and such.

grain of salt. keep in mind I don't think I am your target audience, just spit-balling to try to be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally between those 2 I prefer the lunar module. I don’t like the boosters and such on the shuttle.

Perhaps if the shuttle was horizontal with a stand it might be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A a gamer, I like them both and they seem appropriate from your description so far.

As someone who has gotten back into miniatures recently, I'd prefer the module with the caveat that I'd like it to be a somewhat reasonable size to paint it and detailed enough to be able to draw those details out via paint. The shuttle is less interesting from that point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that a shuttle is great as an indicator of lifting capacity (until someone builds a space elevator ), but nonsensical for anything leaving orbit.

The Lunar Lander is great for anything doing just that, landing.

Rovers would be great for exploratory assets.

You need something else to represent interplanetary liners / haulers. Look ye to sci fi a/o NASA concepts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Albright
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'd go with the lunar module, mostly because we haven't put a space shuttle on the moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    The space shuttle didn't go much of anywhere. And it's a truck.

Given those two choices I'd go Lunar Module, but if it's available I'd go with a more 50s science fiction vibe, a more idealized lunar module that maybe has a little more grace to it.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MickeyMcD wrote:
For context, this game is about sending orbiters, landers, and manned spacecraft out into the solar system in order to discover planets, moons, asteroids etc. that are *really out there*

Well, when played on a celestial body, the lunar lander looks more like it’s actually “claiming” something. I’d more associate a waiting shuttle with “potential” rather than “expended” energy: a research level indicator, a counter for resources amassed, and so forth. The lunar lander also transmits the idea of fragile technology pushed beyond the safe limits of its operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.