Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've read that there's a 2p variant with the game, where there's an "auto 3rd player"...but how much more work does that add to the 2p's? is it worth it, or is the game simply not a 2p game and this is the best they could come up with?

and most importantly, is the 2p variant fun? thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mb
Sandra takes like 2 seconds to manage, you draw a card from her deck until it matches a location that is on the board, move her, perform the actions on the card. She does a good job of simulating a 3rd player by removing contacts, closing locations etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick S
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten one 2-player game in, and another solo (which also uses Sandra like in a 2p game).

Sandra is very easy to manage -- draw cards until you reveal a location anywhere on the map. Move Sandra there. Remove some stuff. Shuffle any revealed cards back into her deck, only discarding the location she moved to. That's it. Sandra's purpose is to remove things from the game (ie, keep the contact market moving), help toward closing locations, and potentially impact notoriety if she goes somewhere you want to go. Her design is incredibly easy to manage, which is great because it takes VERY little time.

I would say it's good as a 2p game -- you are playing the same game and there aren't really any compromises made, either. The difference between a 2p game and a 3p game is the movement of the 3rd human player could probably be predicted based on their board state -- for example, if they have visited 2 locations in one group and the 3rd location is available and close, it's safe for you to assume they'll probably go for that 3rd location ASAP to get the bonus, and you can plan your future moves around that. With Sandra, she moves to whatever location she reveals first, which is totally random. She also counts as a police officer that you have to evade. Additionally, when it comes time to relocate police for whatever reason, the movement won't ALWAYS be directed at you in 3p like it usually is in 2p. That could be a good thing or bad depending on your tastes.

Is it fun? I would say so. I think I'd prefer the game at 3-4p, but only by a little, mainly due to the police movement being spread out toward other players more frequently. Lasly, as easy as Sandra is to manage (and I cannot re-iterate enough, she's VERY easy to manage), I ALWAYS prefer not having to go through the motions to simulate another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur with the above. Escape Plan is one of my most played solo games and it requires two bots to control. They do not take much effort and nothing akin to playing a second player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In one go Inspector Sandy removed 3 top value locker cards (we checked later) and 2 wonderful contact cards I could have used.

In other words, she certainly has an impact on the game.

My wife is also Sandy, so I have to play against 2 mean Sandys!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moodie
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played exclusively 2p so far, and we love it.

I can see that it will be better as a 3-4p game, but 2p is very solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.