Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Luxor» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of rules need clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Gibson
msg tools
I have two questions re. the rules to this game along with my own theories.

1) A player plays a card that allows them to move all of their meeples 2 spaces forward. However one of their meeples is one square from the Tomb Chamber and therefore cannot legitimately move as it needs an exact number to enter (i.e. 1). So is this card still actioned or is it negated by the fact that not all meeples can obey this move action? My take on this is that all the players meeples are moved individually and therefore any meeple that can't move legitimately is just ignored and the rest moved as normal. But what do others think?

2) Again I'm interpreting this myself but would like others to respond. According to the rules all Horus cards used by a player to move are placed in the discard pile along with the basic cards. So, when the draw pile is depleted I assume these Horus cards are left in the deck that is reshuffled to form the new draw pile (i.e. they are not removed from the deck).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Dunno. Rules aren't clear. I would rule it that all dudes move forward if they can move the correct number of spaces. A card that moves all dudes two spaces cannot move a dude into chamber who was one space away. All other dudes move.
2) Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Gibson
msg tools
That's what I thought on both counts Curt. I will play this way until someone can convince me otherwise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar

Agree on both. Item 2 is definitely correct.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an answer I gave regarding a similar situation on the move all adventurers card.

Murr wrote:
JDPftw wrote:
The advance all adventurers card seems to bring up a lot of questions. Like if I use it to move an adventurer into the tomb, is that my action? Or can I use the action for another adventurer?

Also hoping for official clarification on if you can play the card if you have an adventurer too close to the tomb (1 space away) as asked in another post.

Thanks!
So far we've been playing the special cases of "Move all adventurer cards" this way. I don't know if it's right or not, this is just how we've been doing it.

1) If you use the move all adventurers, and you have an adventurer that will over shoot the tomb, you cannot play the card. Per movement rules that must move into the center by exact count. (see also Side Note below)

2) If one of your adventurers lands in the tomb by exact count, then you automatically claim the sarcophagus, this does not count as your action, because claiming the sarcophagus is just part of moving into the center, it doesn't take an action to do it.

3) If one of your adventurers lands on the numbered arrows spaces, they automatically advance, this is not your action. They do not, however, automatically use a secret passage - this would be your action.

Side Note with #1, I've been debating on whether we should start allowing you to play the card and just not move the adventurer that would "over shoot" the tomb, because it keeps the card from being a dead card in your hand. But once you get the adventurer into the center, it's no longer a problem, since the adventurer in the tomb is no longer an active adventurer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Gibson
msg tools
Hi Murr - an interesting and convincing counter-argument

I suppose, looking at the actual rule carefully this appears to be backed up by the section in this rule -

After the player has moved all their adventurers,they decide for one of them to perform the action of his current tile.

This suggests that you must move all of your players take advantage of this card.

uuuuuuum! Interesting....

But, as you say, that is just your take on this, albeit a good one!

I may try to contact Queen Games to see if they have an official rule on this. Will update with any reply I get.

p.s. by the way, I agree with all the other statements you make re. using this card as they are covered in the rules if looked at carefully.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Gibson
msg tools
Oh - one other thing....

I don't agree that this card would be a dead card in your hand until you move the meeple into the throne room as under movement rules it does state -

If the rare case occurs that a player cannot legally move one of their adventurers by playing their leftmost or rightmost card, they play one
of these two cards without moving an adventurer. Subsequently, they end their turn by drawing a new card from the draw pile.

While I appreciate this may not happen very often, it does get you out of this situation if both your end cards are unplayable.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels like the interpretations are getting pretty far off the rails. There is no provision anywhere for cards to be "unplayable". Likewise, saying that you can play the card, but if you can't move all your guys then you must move none seems even more illogical. The rules say move all. How is none a valid interpretation of all? The only reasonable interpretation I see is to to move all... that you can. But like you said, I'd be happy to see an official ruing. I just wouldn't count on it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Gibson
msg tools
Thanks Curt - I will remain firmly attached to the fence on this as I can see the logic in both your arguments. As the rule is vague within the rules this does leave it open to interpretation either way.

So 'house rules' seems to be the way forward in the interim.

There is a feedback form on Queen Games' website specifically for rules queries so I have posted this offcially. As I said, if I do get an answer I willl post it here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
There is no provision anywhere for cards to be "unplayable".
Yes there is, on page 4 of the rules, at the bottom.

If the rare case occurs that a player cannot legally move one of their adventurers by playing their leftmost or rightmost card, they play one of these two cards without moving an adventurer. Subsequently, they end their turn by drawing a new card from the draw pile
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
curtc wrote:
There is no provision anywhere for cards to be "unplayable".
Yes there is, on page 4 of the rules, at the bottom.

If the rare case occurs that a player cannot legally move one of their adventurers by playing their leftmost or rightmost card, they play one of these two cards without moving an adventurer. Subsequently, they end their turn by drawing a new card from the draw pile

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Gibson
msg tools
Haha! actually this isn't strictly true either

The card isn't actually 'unplayable' in this situ. as you have played it.

You just can't action it.....it is effectively a dead card (i.e. played but no action).

BUT..what this does suggest is that the rule re. one of a group of players negating the use of a card seems to be true.

It says that - If the rare case occurs that a player cannot legally move one of their adventurers by playing their leftmost or rightmost card, they play one of these two cards without moving an adventurer.

It doesn't qualify how many adventurers are involved but just if ONE of your adventurers can't legallly move. So that seems to suggest that this can only be played as a 'dead card' if the rule applies OR you move the adventurer into the Throne Room which allows you to use it as normal.

Still haven't got a response from The Queen yet so the debate continues
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.