Hide
6 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Waterdeep – Dungeon of the Mad Mage» Forums » General

Subject: Lots of fun! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchel Soltys
msg tools
I just thought I'd share with readers who may not have played any of the recent Dungeons & Dragons board games, that the gameplay has gotten even better than the earlier versions. Castle Ravenloft is the only other version I've played. That's fun, but feels a bit repetitive. Plus it doesn't have any campaign play and it isn't as pretty.

With Mad Mage, I have to say, the gameplay really feels refined. The encounter cards are not always a, "Ok, how am I going to get hit horribly this time?" situation. There are respite cards and even some situations where a rune card can turn out to your advantage.

Then again there are situations where you can encounter 4 new monsters at once on a game tile (if you have the "Overcrowding" environment in effect).

So, anyway, just sharing my opinion that this is a really good game. As you watch playthroughs, I'm not sure how much that feeling comes across, but I really do get a feeling of engagement. If you've been looking at these games and wondering if you should get one, I'd highly encourage getting Mad Mage. It's a ton of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRanger17 wrote:
I just thought I'd share with readers who may not have played any of the recent Dungeons & Dragons board games, that the gameplay has gotten even better than the earlier versions. Castle Ravenloft is the only other version I've played. That's fun, but feels a bit repetitive. Plus it doesn't have any campaign play and it isn't as pretty.

With Mad Mage, I have to say, the gameplay really feels refined. The encounter cards are not always a, "Ok, how am I going to get hit horribly this time?" situation. There are respite cards and even some situations where a rune card can turn out to your advantage.

Then again there are situations where you can encounter 4 new monsters at once on a game tile (if you have the "Overcrowding" environment in effect).

So, anyway, just sharing my opinion that this is a really good game. As you watch playthroughs, I'm not sure how much that feeling comes across, but I really do get a feeling of engagement. If you've been looking at these games and wondering if you should get one, I'd highly encourage getting Mad Mage. It's a ton of fun!

Couldn't agree more Mitchel! That is what is making these games so damn good if you ask me. Wizkids have made some slight alterations and changes that have really made the gameplay better without changing the overall game engine that so many of us SOLO players love. If you started playing this version of D&D with Ravenloft you can't help but feel that the overall experience is NOW much more streamlined and greatly improved, while keeping the characters fresh and the storyline and action tense!

And I love your example of getting a respite or rune card every so often. In Ravenloft, every Encounter Card was out to draw blood and just made the whole game seem heavier and darker. But now with a Respite or rune card thrown in, the experience is a lot better as when you draw one of them you can't help but go "YES, needed that!" Just a Great job WIZKIDS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Though of course as you progress in adventures you are instructed to remove some respite cards...

... that said, I agree that it's an enjoyable game. (The only other one I have played as well is Ravenloft.) I'd make the point, however, that this one is meant to be played as a campaign game. As a solo player I personally am not necessarily excited to do that, though here I am. It's something potential buyers should know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my favourite addition from the old games has to the amount of variation of monsters, traps and treasure chests they've been adding to tiles since ToEE. It's hard to imagine now but before then each room only had one monster on each tile with no traps, treasure chests or anything like that.

The variation from room to room they now have really makes the game feel more immersive, as now every dungeon feels like it's been built with a purpose and populated organically by monsters instead of the methodical tile system of days of old.

This means it plays more like a roller-coaster ride where you can go for long periods without discovering a single monster and then suddenly bump into a load at once, which is so much more exciting to play!

On top of that, the amount of variety this change adds in of itself means you can play the same adventure multiple times in a row and it'll still not feel like it's the same adventure.

So in conclusion, hats off to WizKids for turning a good game mechanic into a great one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sold im coming home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
I'd make the point, however, that this one is meant to be played as a campaign game. As a solo player I personally am not necessarily excited to do that, though here I am. It's something potential buyers should know.

This is the same problem (?) with Dungeon Degenerates or Sword & Sorcery too. I think those campaigns are probably a bit more "worthwhile" for the solo player but this does seem to be an increasingly common feature nowadays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.