Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Bamber
United Kingdom
Oxted
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have voted that this is a wargame rather than a strategy game on the BGG overview page for the game. I am the only 1 out of 6 to do so.

First of all war games seem to be a subclass of strategy game, which raises the question what even is the point of the classification. Secondly there seems to be agreement (e.g. War game subdomain) that war games are defined by conflict rather than simulated kinetics.

For my part if I have to choose between the terms I would rather reserve the term "strategy game" for those where you need to choose near the beginning of the game which general direction you go in. For example in Glory to Rome there seem to be almost as many strategies as there are types of cards.

In contrast from what I have seen of This Guilty Land so far, the strategies are set by which side you are on and the question is how to implement them optimally and which trade offs to make. Justice needs to primarily roll out its support and block what Oppression does. Oppression needs to pass its laws and block what Justice does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game is another reason why there should be a "non-fiction game" category to distinguish it from Euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I know almost nothing about the game... so just throwing this out there in case it sticks... instead of being called a wargame, perhaps its more a accurate to categorize it a as "political" game?

Churchill fell into this conundrum... many wanted to call it a wargame (and did). But it's really a political game. The designer even says that it's not a wargame.

IMHO, for a game to be a wargame, it should:
- Have units, or an "order of battle"
- Use a method to assign dynamic strength to the units
- Model maneuver
- Model logistics, or the effect of
- Model combat resolution

There are several more characteristics to include, in order for such a list to be complete. But doing so will go beyond the point of my post, which is that if 'This Guilty Land' includes all of these characteristics, then it very well might be a wargame!

All of the above is just my opinion, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My own definition of wargame is something that engages meaningfully, seriously, and thoughtfully with history - that demonstrates and explores factors that were important historically. I feel that this game does that, but I don't begrudge anyone who feels otherwise. To each their own.

Some folks feel for example that Supply Lines of the American Revolution: The Northern Theater, 1775-1777 is a wargame; some feel it is more of a logistics game; some that it is more of an abstract game. None of these are wrong exactly. All three of these categories are useful in that they tell you something about that game and its experience. Categories are useful when they highlight affinities, and less so when they exclude - when they strictly define what the thing is and is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Taxonomy is hard, let's go shopping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bamber
United Kingdom
Oxted
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Taxonomy is hard, let's go shopping!

Famously Wittgenstein could not even decide on a definition of "game". I am not sure he ever got round to thinking about their taxonomy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.