Subject: Avoiding Lt. Costa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bennett
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
Can exective actions be used to avoid Lt. Costa, or does he still have to be paid (or take wounds)? For example, I'm leaving a tile that has Lt. Costa and a SWAT officer. If I use my gang token to avoid all officers on that tile, do I still have to pay $3k?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emspace
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he’s corrupt and knows who you are and what you look like, so any time he’s on your tile, you have to pay him. If you don’t pay him, you take 2 wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Kelfa
Canada
Montréal
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Costa is a police officer, If you use any 'avoid all police officers on one tile" ability (gang member, asset tile, fast car...)
You don't have to pay Costa.
At least that's what makes sense for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bennett
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
ikar2002 wrote:
Since Costa is a police officer, If you use any 'avoid all police officers on one tile" ability (gang member, asset tile, fast car...)

Upon re-reading the rules, I agree. They say Costa plays the same as Sandra with the exceptions listed. Sandra is a police officer of the type of the avoiding players choosing. So I'm thinking Costa is as well. The only difference is that if he's not avoided, then he must be paid $3k. If that can't be done, then take 2 wounds. Perhaps Vital can chime in to confirm or correct. Vital, if you read this, I am absolutely loving the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikar2002 wrote:

He's half-player and half-officer. The only way he can be avoided is by paying the money. He doesn't have a color so those red, blue, black things don't affect him.

Another way to think about it is that with your interpretation he's actually easier to avoid than any other officer as he could be avoided by normal rules or by spending money if you can't do that, so you'd have twice the options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Therrien
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Your move.
mbmbmbmbmb
defiantworkshop wrote:
As an aside about avoiding Costa, where does he start exactly? It doesn't specify that he starts on the hospital, and if he does, does that mean essentially you start with only 6k instead of 9? Was wondering if he would actually move off of his player board to start, since the rules don't instruct you to place him in the hospital.

He starts on the hospital tile and just like Sandra he'll move before you so you won't have to avoid him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
He is an officer like Sandra, he can be avoid like Sandra if you can't avoid him you need to pay $3 bucks or you get 2 wounds.

Edited for a better understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
here, he can be avoid with the avoid all police officiers in one tile, but if you can't avoid him you need to pay $3 bucks or you get 2 wounds.

Well there goes my way of reading. So, honestly, this is funky and brings up new issues.

Can he be avoided with an "Avoid one blue officer" or "one black officer" or "one read officer" or only the "avoid all?"

Can he be moved with any of the "move officers of a given color" ability, too.

I would re-word this rule ability as it says that "you need to pay him $3k to escape him." This is quite different from: "if you can't avoid him, you may pay him $3k to avoid."

This makes him much, much easier, which is strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He’s not an officer of any color so seems as if Vital was saying only abilities that let’s you avoid all officers on a tile count for feta as well. There’s only a handful of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
Check above. Just edited. Like it says in the rules, he plays with Sandra rules. So he can be avoid like you avoid Sandra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsesta84 wrote:
He’s not an officer of any color so seems as if Vital was saying only abilities that let’s you avoid all officers on a tile count for feta as well. There’s only a handful of those.

But Sandra counts as an officer of any color so can be avoided with any avoid ability. So it looks like Costa can also be avoided this way.

I guess I'm baffled by this extra layer of avoiding for Costa -- before I thought he just acted as a way to require money at all times but now he can be avoided like any other cop, then money, then wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
Check above. Just edited. Like it says in the rules, he plays with Sandra rules. So he can be avoid like you avoid Sandra.

True, but the way the text is written in the rule book overrides Sandra's, but good to know how it's intended (I really hope this type of rule writing is changed in the future.. it almost needs a flow chart with Sandra's exceptions then Costa's exceptions to Sandra's exceptions.) Maybe just me tho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
newrev wrote:

True, but the way the text is written in the rule book overrides Sandra's, but good to know how it's intended (I really hope this type of rule writing is changed in the future.. it almost needs a flow chart with Sandra's exceptions then Costa's exceptions to Sandra's exceptions.) Maybe just me tho

Interesting! I also interpreted the rules as you must pay 3k or take 2 wounds, no other avoiding possible. Maybe now I’ll have slightly more than a snowball’s chance in hell at beating the bas***d.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little late to this thread but I’m surprised this is so confusing for people. Sandra and Acosta can/must be avoided like any other officer. You get to consider them as any color or meeple for this purpose. If you can avoid Sandra, you take a wound as normal. If you can’t avoid Costa, you have to pay him off with cash OR you take two sounds. It seems very clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
A little late to this thread but I’m surprised this is so confusing for people. Sandra and Acosta can/must be avoided like any other officer. You get to consider them as any color or meeple for this purpose. If you can avoid Sandra, you take a wound as normal. If you can’t avoid Costa, you have to pay him off with cash OR you take two sounds. It seems very clear to me.

It all is/was clear except for Costa. Some clarification was needed. I think we’re all good now though and it goes just as you described!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Kelfa
Canada
Montréal
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK but where do we move them ?

The tile of our choice?
land space or location ?
I guess land space, otherwise do they visit the location and take an extra turn ?

Isn't it too easy to enclose Costa this way ? making him lose 1 or 2 turns ?
No because Costa moves are based on where you stand not where he stands (I answered myself ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there would be adverse effects to moving them just to the tile (no particular land space like the police). You definitely don't want to move them to a location and that should not mess up either of their travel steps at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Kelfa
Canada
Montréal
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsesta84 wrote:
I don't think there would be adverse effects to moving them just to the tile (no particular land space like the police). You definitely don't want to move them to a location and that should not mess up either of their travel steps at all.

I agree thanks for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.