Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

On Mars» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: KS Edition vs. Retail Edition of Lacerda/EGG Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I am new to Vital Lacerda games, having never owned nor played one before.

In the current Kickstarter for On Mars, all of the games on offer indicate that they are the KS edition of the game.

What is the difference between Lacerda/EGG’s KS and Retail editions of the game? Is all KS exclusive content included in previous games such
as Escape Plan in this new Kickstarter Campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter L
Canada
North York
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSailor wrote:

In the current Kickstarter for On Mars, all of the games on offer indicate that they are the KS edition of the game.

What is the difference between Lacerda/EGG’s KS and Retail editions of the game? Is all KS exclusive content included in previous games such

the KS version of Escape Plan was the same as the retail version, except it includes a KS upgrade pack, which included the things listed here under "Escape Plan KS Pack":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eaglegryphon/escape-pla...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awesome thanks for the additional information.

I assume then that if I chose to also order Escape Plan through this On Mars KS that I would be receiving all those extras?

Also having never experienced a game by Lacerda, any recommendations for an additional purchase with On Mars? I was leaning towards Escape Plan based on on theme alone, at first glance the other themes don’t interest me as much. I will have to look into gameplay for each of the games. I will mostly be playing solo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tough to blindy recommend his games not knowing others that you like. What are some others that you enjoy?

Most of his games are at the top end of complexity / depth (ie "weight"), except for Escape Plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
I’m really an okay guy.
mbmbmbmbmb
With Lacerda, his games will help you love and engage with themes you think are dull. Eg. CO2. Nobody gets excited about Carbon Emission Reduction as a theme... but as a game it’s great.

My advice before buying a Lacerda game is watch some play though videos. Ant Lab, heavy cardboard, rahdo if you want the espresso run through. They take several hours but it will either excite or put you off.

If it puts you off buying any of his games, that’s okay, that happened to me. But six months later I re-investigated his games and my tastes had matured.

What I’m saying is you don’t want to just pick the right Lacerda game, but you want to be sure it’s the right TIME.

Hope that is helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
I’m really an okay guy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to add: WELCOME TO BGG! have some geek gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
With Lacerda, his games will help you love and engage with themes you think are dull. Eg. CO2. Nobody gets excited about Carbon Emission Reduction as a theme... but as a game it’s great.

My advice before buying a Lacerda game is watch some play though videos. Ant Lab, heavy cardboard, rahdo if you want the espresso run through. They take several hours but it will either excite or put you off.

If it puts you off buying any of his games, that’s okay, that happened to me. But six months later I re-investigated his games and my tastes had matured.

What I’m saying is you don’t want to just pick the right Lacerda game, but you want to be sure it’s the right TIME.

Hope that is helpful.

True. The first game I played was Lisboa, and I liked it a lot, but when I played Gallerist, I felt it was far superior & better steamlined. Later, as I got more into heavy games, Lisboa became my absolute favorite.

I do think liking the theme helps.. but honestly, I can't say I care about most of Lacerda's themes, and yet I love the games and find them immersive. Sure, I may not care about the wine business.. but I sure do feel like a wine mogul when I play Vinhos.

Based on my look at On Mars, it seems like it's meant to be Lisboa-level heavy.. I wouldn't really recommend it for a first Lacerda.

In terms of approachability (not ranking CO2 or Kanban, which I haven't played):
Escape Plan > Vinhos 2016 > Gallerist > Vinhos 2010 > Lisboa

If I had to guess where CO2 and Kanban fall... I'd say Kanban is probably just a step under Lisboa and I'd guess CO2 is about Vinhos 2016 range. Based on what I know about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:

Lol. I guess ... I’m nobody, who are you? Are you nobody too?

Seriously though, I backed CO2 specifically because I was excited about the theme! Remember we are all diverse! Not everyone sees the world the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Back on topic, my game group really loves The Gallerist and Kanban: Driver's Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSailor wrote:

As far as I know none of them have any Kickstarter exclusives. The Kickstarter version just includes content that you'll have to pay extra for in retail. That and the Kickstarter version is much more expensive than it will be in retail. If you can afford it, buy it, play it when you get it, and if you don't like it, sell it. Vital's games hold their value extremely well, so you should be able to recoup most if not all (and possibly some extra) of your money. My one worry about that plan would be the sheer number of backers this game will generate may dilute the secondary market a bit. But Escape Plan had nearly 7000 backers and the only 3 copies of that on ebay right now are $120+...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The0ry wrote:
Back on topic, my game group really loves The Gallerist and Kanban: Driver's Edition

Kanban is one of the best designed boardgames of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian D
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
It’s all personal preference...I hate wine and the theme but Vinhos is one of my favorite games and by far my favorite Lacerda game. I thought Co2 was terrible but a lot of my friends love it. Pretty much everyone in my game group including me loves the gallerist. Haven’t played the escape plan but the gameplay just didn’t sound appealing to me. Lisboa, I don’t hate but not something I seek out to play. The KS versions just seem to have more bling and sometimes extra expansions...the retail versions are just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grim Squeaker
msg tools
What is the difference between the KS edition and retail edition of On Mars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Froistad
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grim_Squeaker wrote:
What is the difference between the KS edition and retail edition of On Mars?

So far, it looks like it is just an extra board for the blueprints. If you look at the stretch goals on the KS page the ones that will not be in the retail version show “KS” in a red circle. More should be showing up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly I hate KSEs. If people down the line can get the same things I can it doesn’t affect me and they don’t have to miss out. With these games there’s still a huge price advantage to ordering now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Frankly I hate KSEs. If people down the line can get the same things I can it doesn’t affect me and they don’t have to miss out. With these games there’s still a huge price advantage to ordering now.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these KSEs are Kick Starter Edition items, not Exclusive items.

At least in the past, EGG has created "upgrade" kits that anyone can buy, so that someone who bought the retail version can get the same components that came with the KS edition.

I think this is the perfect way to KS a game, especially if the KS price is less than (or perhaps roughly equal to) the retail version price at on OLGS plus the price of the upgrade kit. (I don't know if that's the case here, but I believe it has been with at least some of the past Lacerda / EGG KSs.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
I’m really an okay guy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would have to agree with hating exclusives. They just end up on eBay for $$$. No need to penalise late comers down the road.

I love what EGG is doing: give me a good price, a fun ride, and let me get it well before retail does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw in the comments that there will be only four stretch goals for the KS upgrade pack. There were 11 in Escape Plan, for reference.

Any more KS exclusive stretch goals?

Randal (Eagle-Gryphon Games)Collaborator
about 21 hours ago
@Rele - Yes, there will be 4 total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
Would have to agree with hating exclusives. They just end up on eBay for $$$. No need to penalise late comers down the road.

I dunno. I back a lot of games and held onto about 95% of my exclusives.

Vital's games are the exception since there are no exclusives, the games are always rock solid, and they don't typically land in the bargain bin. But for most games, late comers already get lots of benefits. They don't spend the time and effort combing through projects, evaluating their potential. They usually get the games for a much cheaper price at retail, often with free shipping. They don't tie up their money for a year or more. They don't have to buy without the benefit of lots of player reviews. They don't have to risk losing their money entirely when a project folds. Etc.

But, yeah, if you ignore all that, then those poor latecomers do get shafted if they spend a little extra on eBay. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IntvGene wrote:
I saw in the comments that there will be only four stretch goals for the KS upgrade pack. There were 11 in Escape Plan, for reference.
Thanks, I missed that.

That's pretty disappointing to learn. Some of the other 3 need to be pretty awesome, otherwise I think I'll just wait for the retail version and save $30 or $40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.