John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doesn't look like there's any kind of shoot-out, so do you play cards to avoid them? or are there other ways to avoid them as well?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emspace
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s kind of left up to your imagination how the avoidance happens.

If you don’t have executive actions that let you avoid the police, you end up wounded, so it sounds like you do have a run-in and shots are fired, or you’re roughed up a bit trying to escape.

Avoidance measures include having a contact (cards) or or fixer (tiles) or favours (tiles) or police disguises (tiles) [EDIT] or bikers (meeples)[/EDIT] that helps distract, deflect, or decoy cops away.

There are many options, actually. But it’s really up to you how to tell the story of getting away from the cops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks...so, how do you like the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emspace
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this game is up my alley. I like the tension of knowing you have so many options — so many things you want or need to do — but not enough moves. It’s a hugely thematic game in that the tension attempts to match your level of anxiety in trying to avoid the cops and get out of town with as much loot as possible.

I think it works very well, despite, yes, the rules overhead including what you do at the different buildings. There are a few areas — like the asset tile mechanisms — where I don’t understand the thematic tie-in, but oh well. Games also need game-y parts to add some arc.

Speaking of arc, I like that this game has a story arc and while playing, you can tell the story of what’s happening for all the characters. Even playing solo and moving Sandra and Lt. Costa, I can imagine the reasons they’re going to the places they’re going and who they’re talking to.

I really enjoy the game. Looking forward to teaching it to the game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late to this, however, the majority of the game is trying to figure out the best way to avoid police as you run around the city. You can use fixer tiles, contact cards, equipment bought at stores to avoid police. All of these things kind of work the same, what differs is where you get them, whether you have to pay up front or when you chose to use the ability, how often they can be used, etc.

Then you have limitations to how many items you can have. So to make avoiding cops easier, you need to unlock more spots to have more cards/tiles. If you don't, you have to gain notoriety to replace items with new ones...and more notoriety can be good and helpful but can also attract more cops to your location.

Any time you can't avoid a cop, you take a wound. Too many wounds and you start getting handcuff cards which block spaces you need for contact cards (which also are worth points at the end).

This game is very much about coming up with the best plan to avoid getting caught. On the surface, it is easy. Just move and avoid. However, there is a lot of depth to the game for those looking to do really well and get the most money/points. Police can/will move. Items/cards available on your turn may not be the right match for the police in your way. The game really encourages flexibility and adapting as you play. These things together make the game lots of fun to play the first time, but also encourages further play and exploring the depth of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
A bit late to this, however, the majority of the game is trying to figure out the best way to avoid police as you run around the city. You can use fixer tiles, contact cards, equipment bought at stores to avoid police. All of these things kind of work the same, what differs is where you get them, whether you have to pay up front or when you chose to use the ability, how often they can be used, etc.

Then you have limitations to how many items you can have. So to make avoiding cops easier, you need to unlock more spots to have more cards/tiles. If you don't, you have to gain notoriety to replace items with new ones...and more notoriety can be good and helpful but can also attract more cops to your location.

Any time you can't avoid a cop, you take a wound. Too many wounds and you start getting handcuff cards which block spaces you need for contact cards (which also are worth points at the end).

This game is very much about coming up with the best plan to avoid getting caught. On the surface, it is easy. Just move and avoid. However, there is a lot of depth to the game for those looking to do really well and get the most money/points. Police can/will move. Items/cards available on your turn may not be the right match for the police in your way. The game really encourages flexibility and adapting as you play. These things together make the game lots of fun to play the first time, but also encourages further play and exploring the depth of it.

Nice to read this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter L
Canada
North York
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emspace wrote:
Yeah, this game is up my alley. I like the tension of knowing you have so many options — so many things you want or need to do — but not enough moves. It’s a hugely thematic game in that the tension attempts to match your level of anxiety in trying to avoid the cops and get out of town with as much loot as possible.

I think it works very well, despite, yes, the rules overhead including what you do at the different buildings. There are a few areas — like the asset tile mechanisms — where I don’t understand the thematic tie-in, but oh well. Games also need game-y parts to add some arc.

Speaking of arc, I like that this game has a story arc and while playing, you can tell the story of what’s happening for all the characters. Even playing solo and moving Sandra and Lt. Costa, I can imagine the reasons they’re going to the places they’re going and who they’re talking to.

I really enjoy the game. Looking forward to teaching it to the game group.

emspace, I'd appreciate getting together for a teach/play through of how to play this sometime in the future if possible. I do seem to have trouble figuring out Lacerda games purely from the rulebook alone. And I definitely wanna know how this game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.