Ken Shin
United States
Paramus
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you collect them before revealing that round’s action space or do you collect them after?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dvader123 wrote:
Do you collect them before revealing that round’s action space or do you collect them after?

Does it matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, doesn’t really matter. We usually collect it before we flip the card for the next round as its normally sitting on the card. Makes sense to us that way I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
United States
Paramus
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does for at least one card effect. I should have explained that first but thought I’d get a definitive answer right away. But here’s the impetus for my question.

Family Planner from the Wm deck: Add 4, 7 and 10 to the current round and place up to 1 Person still in your supply on each corresponding Round space. At the start of these rounds and not earlier, you may take the Person as a new Family member, if you have room. (If you don't, return it to your supply.) It counts as a Newborn, and may take actions the following round.

Here’s a scenario where having an answer to my question would be important.

Say you play this occupation in rd 1. You place a single family member in rounds 5, 8, and 11. Now because of the conditions of that card, you need to have a room ready before the start of rd 5. You succeed in building that room and your opponents also do the same as well.

Enter rd 5. You’re starting player. You’re ready to take your family member, but before you do, you decide to wait to see what the next action space reveals. If it’s family growth (FG) then you’ll pass on the taking the family member from the occupation’s effect. That member returns to your supply and you, on the first turn, take FG and get a minor improvement along as well.

This approach really screws up your opponents who were counting on you to take that family member from the occupation you played in rd 1. It would free up competition for the actual FG action space. But of course, if you get to see what the card is before deciding on picking up the family member then that would give the player a huge advantage. I’m here now because I’m wondering if they could argue that you were supposed to take all resources including family members before the next action space is revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Rules wrote:
Phase 1: Start the round – draw a new Round card.
Turn over the top Round card and place it on the appropriate space on the board. The action on this card is available to all players, and can be used not only in this round but in all subsequent rounds.

All actions which occur at the beginning of a particular round or at the beginning of every round occur now.

The text on some cards instructs players to place items on the Round card spaces. If there are tiles, Food and/or other playing pieces on the space for the current round, these are distributed to the appropriate players (who earned them by playing an Occupation or Improvement) The functions of the cards are explained on page 7.

If you do it in the order explained in the rules, you'll see what the action space is before taking the resources/pieces from the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook says Round Card flipped BEFORE resources on cards are taken. So you will know what the card is before needing to decide.

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really sure it's worth losing an action (and lessening the effect of that occupation) just to prevent another player from growing your family.

I'd rather have the extra action, though I suppose if you have a minor improvement worth playing it could be a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure they would be a better way to play the Minor improvement. Agricola is usually too tight of a game to worry too much about screwing over your opponents at the loss of efficiency for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely an interesting quandary. Do you decrease the value of an already played Ock to block your opponent(s)? I think it hinges heavily on the board state; what resources are waiting to be scooped up? Are you going to forego a 6Wood, or some other worthwhile action that will be to your benefit (camping on the button, for instance, with that Minor you want to play)?

More often than not, though, I'd say that not utilizing cards you have in play is only rarely going to gain you any significant advantage.

And, yes, the Round card flips first, followed by the collection of any pre-Round goods and/or the fulfillment of any pre-Round actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siddharth Venkatesh
msg tools
There are games where I can see myself running out of ways to get points in round 14 fairly early, largely due to points ceiling deficiencies. In such games, if I am first to build in round 5 and Family Growth has flipped up, I strongly consider leaving it fallow, growing instead in 6 and slowing everyone else down a round as well. I can remember one game where I did this successfully. I needed a 3rd occ down so I could play Bookshelf on my family growth as well so that was another consideration.

These situations are rare but they do happen. The family planner conundrum here is in the same vein: cost yourself an action to cost everyone else one as well. It can be reasonable in very rare games.

Of course, a more important point, albeit completely unrelated to the question, is that family planner is a terrible occupation 90% of the time. At least if it synced up well with Heiress, it could be a decent combo but even that isn't the case. Taking yourself out of the growth queue usually has very nice consequences for your opponents, and family planner has a high risk and cumbersome inflexibility attached as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
dvader123 wrote:

Enter rd 5. You’re starting player. You’re ready to take your family member, but before you do, you decide to wait to see what the next action space reveals. If it’s family growth (FG) then you’ll pass on the taking the family member from the occupation’s effect. That member returns to your supply and you, on the first turn, take FG and get a minor improvement along as well.

But can you forego an item that is there for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siddharth Venkatesh
msg tools
Family Planner explicitly says you can either grow or take the family member back into your supply, since the word may is involved. If it's just a good on a round, you have to take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.