Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stepen Street
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
The second of the FAQs states that when a player takes a shrouded Shard from an opponent, and it happens to belong to the taker, that it "must be placed in [their] hold".

I assume this is only the case when the taker's hold is empty. If there is already a card in my hold, I presume I retain the option of keeping the current occupant of my hold and discarding the newly taken card instead? Or is the "you must decide which one to keep" stuff in the section on Holds overridden here for some reason?

Following on from this, if my hold is empty when I take a shrouded card in this way, MUST I place the card in my hold as it seems to indicate? Or might I choose to discard it if I wished? The wording of this FAQ suggests not, but I'm not totally clear on this.

I also have a bit of uncertainty about the Wild Shard, but I'll save that for later! Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
extrememedium wrote:
The second of the FAQs states that when a player takes a shrouded Shard from an opponent, and it happens to belong to the taker, that it "must be placed in [their] hold".

Yes.

extrememedium wrote:
I assume this is only the case when the taker's hold is empty. If there is already a card in my hold, I presume I retain the option of keeping the current occupant of my hold and discarding the newly taken card instead?

No.

extrememedium wrote:
Following on from this, if my hold is empty when I take a shrouded card in this way, MUST I place the card in my hold as it seems to indicate?

Whether your hold is empty or full, if you take a shrouded card that belongs to your character, it goes in your hold. Any card already in your hold is discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stepen Street
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
Great, thanks for this. I still feel like I'm on shaky ground here so maybe you have the patience to help me a bit further.

I don't understand why I can choose whether or not to keep a card already in my hold when I take two shrouded cards with Fracture (the Fracture clarification says I get to keep "1 from the 3 Shards" not "1 from the 2"), but I don't have the option to keep the card in my hold if I take one shrouded card with Telekinesis (i.e. I don't get to keep "1 from the 2" - I must discard the one in my hold and replace it with the new one, correct?

What is different exactly, in the Telekinesis scenario that limits my choices? Maybe if you can point to the bit in the rulebook that makes this distinction I will get my head around the way things are worded a bit better.

As an aside, if I was taking a revealed shard that didn't belong to me with Telekinesis, exactly the same scenario would arise, am I right? If there was something in my hold I would be forced to discard what was already in my hold, whatever it was, and replace it with the new shard, still face up?

Likewise, if there was nothing in my hold, and I took a revealed Shard that belonged to someone else, I would have to put it in my hold; there would be no possibility of discarding the Shard instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
extrememedium wrote:
I don't understand why I can choose whether or not to keep a card already in my hold when I take two shrouded cards with Fracture

Typically, card rules override general rules. The general rule (bottom of page 7, horribly worded) is that if you take a card you either put it in your reality (if it's yours and revealed) or you put it in your hold; however, the card rule from Fracture (which is in the book under that card's entry on page 10, not actually on the card itself), explicitly gives permission to pick which of the three cards you get to keep.

extrememedium wrote:
As an aside, if I was taking a revealed shard that didn't belong to me with Telekinesis, exactly the same scenario would arise, am I right? If there was something in my hold I would be forced to discard what was already in my hold, whatever it was, and replace it with the new shard, still face up?

Correct.

extrememedium wrote:
Likewise, if there was nothing in my hold, and I took a revealed Shard that belonged to someone else, I would have to put it in my hold; there would be no possibility of discarding the Shard instead?

Also correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.