1 , 2  Next »   | 

On Mars» Forums » General

Subject: IF only this would have been a different theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Guys are there any of you thinking about it. Like Mars is cool and all but lately Mars has been all over and with Terraforming Mars taking the spot also...well I just wish this game would have been idk On Moon or something , just for thematic purposes I guess.

When you start having big collection of games like for instance me, you kind of start to get picky about games and I ll be honest if this was not Lacerda, I wouldnt even be thinking about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:
Guys are there any of you thinking about it. Like Mars is cool and all but lately Mars has been all over and with Terraforming Mars taking the spot also...well I just wish this game would have been idk On Moon or something , just for thematic purposes I guess.

When you start having big collection of games like for instance me, you kind of start to get picky about games and I ll be honest if this was not Lacerda, I wouldnt even be thinking about this game.

Theme wise this is only similar to Terraforming Mars in the same way that two games set on Earth are like each other. Looking at it and saying Mars is the theme is too broad to capture it.

It's a theme of working with the other players to develop a colony and explore the surrounding landscape for valuable resources vs laying out the terrain for an entire planet. You could set both games on Earth and you wouldn't even be thinking they have the same theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipa Tato
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm just thinking I'm pretty happy this isn't a zombie theme.

Hopefully Vital Lacerda will always have fresh themes - yes, I don't have any game about Mars, so for me it's just great he made one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:

There is a sizable minority of us who think TM is mediocre and don't consider the thematic spot taken, for one thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
RandomGraham wrote:
BlueOne8 wrote:

Theme wise this is only similar to Terraforming Mars in the same way that two games set on Earth are like each other. Looking at it and saying Mars is the theme is too broad to capture it.

It's a theme of working with the other players to develop a colony and explore the surrounding landscape for valuable resources vs laying out the terrain for an entire planet. You could set both games on Earth and you wouldn't even be thinking they have the same theme.

Perhaps this is one way to look at it. However if 1 game is about exploring Earth and inhabiting it and Called On Earth and the second is about changing Earth and called Terraforming Earth you could say things get connected.

Same happened with Vinhos and Viticulture. The games may play different but will always be connected because of the Wine. And each Zombie game will be connected with the next Zombie game and each Viking Game with another.

Additional thing which doesnt help it is that at the same time there is Terraforming Mars on KS as well...

Anyway Lacerda is great I am not disputing that, I am also not disputing the fact that this is a different game or narrowed down a different theme than Terraforming Mars, but definitely in this moment of time, the Mars theme as a whole and the name doesnt feel "fresh"

Lisboa, KanBan and CO2 for instance felt fresh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mann
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TM is to terraform the entire planet and then Venus next and now government. On Mars seems more about getting a foothold and surviving (oh wait that's 2020 ... don't forget the Tramways Dystopian expansion (a bit of moon to be found in that one too) 11 days left !

I'm in for all of them, and they're all totally different in my opinion. Also nice is that all of them (based on history of the teams involved) should be here in time to be in Santa's big red sack with time to spare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
NO QUEDAN PINGÜINOZ
mbmbmbmbmb
At least it is not (afaik) about mediterranean traders, zombies, vikings, kittens, aliens, everyone being nice to each other without offending every imaginary minority any thorough algorithm could gather, or any combination thereof.

I have not played Terraforming, but being at BGG’s top with a light weight vote makes me suspect it might be too bland and simple for my collection... whereas I own no game from Mr. Lacerda and I have heard much praise for his other games from people I trust.

Besides, Mr. Lacerda said in another BGG thread Phil Dick was his favourite SF writer and that he had indeed read Martian Timeslip... too many signs for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:

Mars is so hot right now.

I understand what you are trying to say and I had the same thought. I get all the nuanced difference arguments, but its still a game on mars. My shelf is starting to look very Marsy with First Martians, Terraforming Mars, Prelude, and soon this. So I get it and I agree, I kinda wish the theme was different.

That being said, I'd rather another mars theme then some fantasy theme or Zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got rid of Terraforming Mars after a dozen plays (was not a fan), so I’m happy to have Vital give a fresh take on a cool topic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Fielding
msg tools
mbmb
Your analysis is arbitrarily based on the Mars level of the theme. Take a step closer and they are different because one is about Terraforming it, the other is about being on it (i.e. colonizing it). Take a step further away and they are both simply space games. Take a step even further back and they start to become abstract card drafting or cube pushers.

It's entirely up to you which level of detail you want to look at it, but so long as you know that your perspective is yours to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Galbraith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the feeling. Part of the gaming experience are the visuals and thematic integration. I understand that there is a nuance to it, but I can’t help but think of TM when I look at this game. Especially since On Mars also uses a grid to lay tiles.

I get the same feeling when I play Raiders of the North Sea and Architects of the West Kingdom. They play completely differently, but my mind can’t get past the similar art and graphic design. I get the same “feeling” playing both games.

Like others have said, though, I’d rather this than another Viking, zombie, or city building game. It’s just a shame that it’ll be competing with TM, one of our (me and my wife’s) favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Fielding
msg tools
mbmb
Alecincr wrote:
my mind can’t get past the similar art and graphic design.

I really hope this isn't the case with TM and On Mars. Otherwise Ian o'Toole has lost his way. TM has pretty awful artwork. The graphic design isn't a huge issue, but not what I would call similar to what I have seen for On Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Galbraith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanesYamakawa wrote:
Alecincr wrote:
my mind can’t get past the similar art and graphic design.

I really hope this isn't the case with TM and On Mars. Otherwise Ian o'Toole has lost his way. TM has pretty awful artwork. The graphic design isn't a huge issue, but not what I would call similar to what I have seen for On Mars.

Oh most definitely! The art looks waaaayyyyy better here. I was simply giving an example of how people (or at least I) connect games in their mind other than the mechanics presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Gallerist a year ago and knew I'd want to get a game by this designer, but as a sci-fi/fantasy dork, I was waiting for something like this. Very happy about the theme, personally. Terraforming Mars is fun, but I don't feel it's the ultimate representation of Mars colonization. I'm glad to see another game take a stab at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:

I tend to agree. Furthermore, the artwork is phenomenal, we all agree, but don’t you think the silkscreened meeples look cheap in comparison? This game might have deserved plastic/resin miniatures imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Fielding
msg tools
mbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
I played the Gallerist a year ago and knew I'd want to get a game by this designer, but as a sci-fi/fantasy dork, I was waiting for something like this. Very happy about the theme, personally. Terraforming Mars is fun, but I don't feel it's the ultimate representation of Mars colonization. I'm glad to see another game take a stab at it.

Colonizing is just a small part of the TM theme. This is the major difference between the two games thematically. TM is covering multiple millennia in time while the whole planet is changed. On Mars is just about building colonies, which can be done with a single card in TM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the theme, but I feel like Ian O'Toole was the wrong pick for this artwork. It seems a little old school and not very imaginative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture is about wine, so is Vinhos. How similar do you think On Mars will be to Terraforming Mars on the basis of that pairing? Sr. Lacerda makes games in a totally different mould to games like Terraforming Mars, Viticulture and all the other gateway+ populist games out there. Besides, how many "trading in the Mediterranean", mediaeval city-building, "dudes on a map", or zombie/Cthulhu games does the typical gamer have in their collection? So what's the big deal with two games set on Mars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl Leon
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:

I agree! I bought First Martians hoping for a zoomed-in version of Terraforming Mars (which I love, but then again I only play it a few times a year, so I don't get bored with it). I couldn't stand First Martians (the rulebook made me want to scream). And it wasn't wat I wanted, so I sold it. I'm hoping this one is what I was looking for; something in which I can build and grow my habitat on another planet. I can't wait to hear more about it! Loving the photos I'm seeing so far.

The Gallerist is great (and beautiful), but really a lot going on and you almost lose the theme. His games can be scary. Hoping this one is a little easier to get while still being challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Viticulture is about wine, so is Vinhos. How similar do you think On Mars will be to Terraforming Mars on the basis of that pairing? Sr. Lacerda makes games in a totally different mould to games like Terraforming Mars, Viticulture and all the other gateway+ populist games out there. Besides, how many "trading in the Mediterranean", mediaeval city-building, "dudes on a map", or zombie/Cthulhu games does the typical gamer have in their collection? So what's the big deal with two games set on Mars?

There should only be one game per theme allowed! It's the Law!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmb
hemulen wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

There should only be one game per theme allowed! It's the Law!

I've played all four games - theme-wise Viticulture and Vinhos are a lot closer than On Mars and Terraforming Mars are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Michael
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thrilled by the theme because I didn't really like Terraforming Mars that much, and as I love pretty much all of Vital's games this was a perfect fit for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
campaign boardgame
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:

My wife disliked scifi altogether. Don't buy products you don't want !

That's why she enjoys this is us but not star trek... same type of program (drama) different settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozgur ozubek
Turkey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and On Mars is Vital Lacerda's answer for how a martian game needs to be.
He might have resleeve the theme in one hour into another marvelous thing, but no. He took his uncooked martian prototype from development shelf and finalized the plate for us...6 months before Essen'19.

Prismattic wrote:
BlueOne8 wrote:

There is a sizable minority of us who think TM is mediocre and don't consider the thematic spot taken, for one thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cryptic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I heard the original setting was supposed to be Uranus but it's hard to define "On" for a gas planet and the more appropriate preposition would be "In". Luckily, a repeat of the Chevy Nova debacle was averted and "On Mars" was born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.