Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For decades now I've been searching for a game that plays almost identically to Magic: The Gathering without requiring a second mortgage (IE no CCGs). Has any such game ever been released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Codex is the first to come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
KeyForge: Call of the Archons ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
The real answer is a bunch of random Magic cards.

Make some decks: play some games don't buy anymore.

Or Buy a couple planes walker decks. Don't buy anymore.

You get a game exactly like Magic and you don't have to take out a second mortgage. You win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WDP
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not Magic: The Gathering?

Just determine the price you think is appropriate for a single tabletop game, spend that much money on cards, and then play happily ever after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bauer
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorcerer could very well scratch that itch for you. I've yet to play my copy, but based on the rules and theme it's definitely within the "Dueling Card Game featuring spell-casters duking it out" niche.

Otherwise there's always KeyForge: Call of the Archons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:

I've been playing Magic since 1995. And I love KeyForge. Scratches many of the same itches. Wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

You get a game exactly like Magic and you don't have to take out a second mortgage. You win!

My group is too OCD/completionist to make that work, we need a game that's designed not to be a CCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:

Isn't Keyforge just a CCG where you buy whole decks instead of booster packs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
ct5150 wrote:

Isn't Keyforge just a CCG where you buy whole decks instead of booster packs?

It sure is collectable

But buy the starter set and two more separate decks, and that will be plenty to explore.

Edit: If your group is say four people playing regularly, just buy a display together (12 decks - three each). Try different matchups, find your strongest decks and play them against eachother. Find your weakest decks and do the same. Lots of fun, nd lots of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set is the best in my opinion. It replaces and surpasses MTG for me. Codex underwent incredible development and balance, and its a game that will keep you engaged, and playing for decades. The deluxe set contains everything there is for the game. Its a decent amount of money up front, but I say you'll spend more money playing and trying games that aren't near as good.

KeyForge: Call of the Archons is quite good. It definitely gives me the fun of saying a sealed deck game of MTG. I enjoy the game, and I find its strengths, no deck building, very approachable, to also be weaknesses that keep me from loving it.

I'd also suggest looking into Fantasy Flight Games' living card games, e.g Lord of the Rings the Card Game, Game of Thrones the Card Game, among others. There are a number of them, they are excellent, and all offer something different in both theme and mechanics that still feels familiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
While it may not seem identical, I get very awesome drafting Magic vibes from Seasons. It's really excellent.

And, if you have a PC, Magic: Arena is free to play and a great way to scratch the itch. You can unlock cards over playtime, so if you don't want to spend money, you don't have to. And it has up to date cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael Corns
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What do you want to know?
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered LCG's? They don't quiet play exactly like Magic, but may be worth browsing.

Android Netrunner
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
Legend of the Five Rings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Millennium Blades goes a few steps further and is a game that replicates the CCG hobby as a whole. Buy, sell, & trade cards. Build decks. Go to a tournament. Buy, sell, trade cards again. Rebuild your deck. Go to a tournament. Rinse, repeat. All in about a 2.5 hour game. Highly recommended! Tons of variety!

Star Realms/Hero Realms or Shards of Infinity are some other solid quick-playing choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Syvanis wrote:

My group is too OCD/completionist to make that work, we need a game that's designed not to be a CCG.

HA! Funny, would it help that you literally CAN'T collect them all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzer
United States
Budd Lake
New Jersey
flag msg tools
You should definitely check out Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn; similar gameplay to magic with gorgeous art and fantastic mechanics/gameplay! I recently got my copy of Sorcerer and that definitely scratches the MTG itch for me as well and is another game with amazing art. Some others you might want to check out are Epic and if you're into superheroes, Dice Masters which recently switched to a release format similar to LCGs, but was originally collectible so it might not be what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:

Came here to say this. You can build decks, or you can draft, or you can just shuffle everything together, deal out some cards, and go "here's your deck".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Lovell
msg tools
mbmb
One that I'd recommend checking out is Karmaka. Whereas a lot of the games recommended here are still collectible games Karmaka isn't. It's really not similar in that you have an army of troops at your disposal, so if you're looking for something thematically identical I would look elsewhere, but if you're looking for something that has a similar mechanical feel of selection cards / building up your board / making the right choice then you might wanna check it out.

I teach it a lot to mtg fans and they seem to latch onto it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Codex - It's a bit like Magic: The Gathering being converted to an RTS (the game itself is turn-based). It fixes the issue of being "mana hosed" by reassigning cards in your hand as workers. Players build their deck as they play, so you can react to your opponents' cards and find your own synergies as you play. Additionally, creating workers allows you to get the weaker cards out of your deck.

There's heroes, buildings and you tech up to cast the better cards. There's a row on the mat for assigning your blockers which gives each a buff. Without blockers, your opponent is able to target anything on your side of the table with their attacks.

It's quickest to setup and play a game where each player takes a color and the 3 codex for that color, but you can play a game where players assemble a mix of 3 codex for multiple characters.

Sorcerer - Kind of like Magic: The Gathering except if it was fought across 3 battlefields. Deck construction is shuffle 3 decks (sorcerer, lineage, domain) together to make a single deck. Each deck has an ability card that's always available. Most of these tap, so you only get 1 use a round.

This game also solves the "mana hosed" issue. Players gain the same amount of energy each round which is either a flat 4 or a dice roll based on the starting player's choice. (Starting player changes at the end of each round.) Additionally, one of your actions during a turn is to gain 2 energy. Drawing 2 cards is also an action which means it's rare that you're top-decking in this game.

Each battlefield only allows 4 minions per side. Minions attack using dice. There's mitigation for bad rolls with re-rolls and some abilities. Defenders can also mitigate strong rolls by forcing re-rolls. Once dice results are determined, the attacker decides where critical damage is assigned, the defender assigns the rest. The damage can either be assigned to minions or the battlefield. When a player does enough damage to a battlefield, then they win that battlefield. Win 2 battlefields and you win the game.

Both of these games have replaced MtG for me. While they don't offer the same scope as MtG, they offer a similar feel. Additionally, I think both games are cleaner mechanically. You're rarely having to deal with resolving a stack like MtG. And, with rare exceptions, you're not taking actions on your opponents' turn.

And, if you want something a bit more casual, look into Dice Throne. It's a bit like King of Tokyo meets MtG. It's a fun game and plays pretty quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
acorns2009 wrote:
Have you considered LCG's? They don't quiet play exactly like Magic, but may be worth browsing.

Android Netrunner
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn

Allegiance: A Realm Divided
This game is absolutely freaking fantastic and right up there with the two mentioned above.

Also, Marvel Dice Masters: X-Men Forever Campaign Box (Dice Masters) is no longer CCG and is really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"When you walk..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here to recommend Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set. If you're not sure how much you'll like it and don't want to go all in for all six factions, you can just get one of the sets that comes with 2 factions to play:

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Core Set (Red vs. Green)
Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Flagstone Dominion vs. Blackhand Scourge Expansion
Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Whitestar Order vs. Vortoss Conclave Expansion

A couple differences from Magic in Codex are:
-Damage on units persists from turn to turn
-Start with a starter deck of 10 cards and rest of deck as a "codex".
-Workers can be increased to gain more "mana" for all future turns
-Heroes who are always available (not shuffled into deck)
-"Sideboard" is always available as your codex in order to react to opponent
-Not collectible (players on level ground)
-cycle through deck multiple times per game gives more control to players

It also plays well with more than 2, although you might want to do that only with players who already have a few 2-player games under their belts.
It's a great game, and I think it would be more well-known if it had better advertising (a lot of folks have just not heard of it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out Blue Moon if you like the themed deck and card combo aspects of MtG. Blue Moon is not a CCG -- you know exactly what you are getting when you buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up Is a fun card combo using alternative. I play Magic and find Smash Up fun in that card combo sort of way.

I would also suggest Grifters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm specifically looking for something that plays like Magic, with analogs for summoned creatures/counterspells/artifacts/mana/etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.