Popular Tags: [View All]
Marwan مروان
Canada
Metro Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Currently, all SSU transports are limited to Passengers 6 for their carrying capacity. Each one of those transports is limited to carrying six level 1 or 2 infantry miniatures or three level 3 or 4 infantry miniatures.

This means that the SSU has no means of transportating Guai-Lo when he is joined to a unit of Steel Guard (except if he was joined to a unit of Steel Guard Snipers which is not very useful).

The Steel Guard are slow and can benefit from being transported. This problem is further exaggerated when games are played on three or more mats.

This is also a problem for The Dragon and The Phoenix when they are joined to an infantry unit.

What are your thoughts on increasing the Passengers level from 6 to 8 for SSU vehicles that have the Passengers 6 skill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can guess my answer?
It's "Absolutely not". The limit of 6 is there for good reasons.

And Guai-Lo + Snipers are a very nasty combo that is played a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan مروان
Canada
Metro Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmmmm, interesting that you say that since there are other transport units that have a higher transport limit. Can you share your thoughts on why the transport limit of 6 is firm?

MagWiz wrote:
The limit of 6 is there for good reasons.

Really? I cannot imagine it being generating good synergy together, but I will try it next time I play SSU.

MagWiz wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:
MagWiz wrote:
The limit of 6 is there for good reasons.
Hmmmm, interesting that you say that since there are other transport units that have a higher transport limit. Can you share your thoughts on why the transport limit of 6 is firm?
I assume that you refer to the Axis open topped walkers (two of them has Passengers 12)? The problem is that the Axis walkers are a bit too expensive, too fragile and too large (they occupy 2 squares) to work as good transports. The Axis heavy infantry that should benefit are also a bit sub par. Hence, on tournaments those walkers are seen next to never.

Also, neither of those Axis units have good platoons that compensate for their shortcomings.

Steel Guards on the other hand are good units as they are. Some of them (like the Snipers) are even a bit undercosted. They also have two good platoons to choose from.

The only real downside is that they are slow, but Guai-Lo has Move and Fire so he and his unit are actually fairly fast.

The SSU transports are fast and cheap. They are seen often on tournaments. Neither they nor Steel Guards need help. If anything they should be toned down a bit here and there.

marwan_marwan wrote:
MagWiz wrote:
Really? I cannot imagine it being generating good synergy together, but I will try it next time I play SSU.

Move and Fire + Power Scope + Sniper + good guns = pain to the opponent.

If you ever face that combo it should be very high on your target priority list. If you play Steel Guards and haven't run this combo, my only question is "Why not?!" since it might be the very best place for Guai-Lo to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan مروان
Canada
Metro Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This really changes the way I treat my Steel Guard Snipers. I have always kept them far to take advantage of the their long range. Adding Guai-Lo to them means I have to move them to the front or use them in direct combat.

I have to think about this as it changes the way I approach them but I do like the suggestion, and I will be trying it next time I play an SSU army.

MagWiz wrote:
If you ever face that combo it should be very high on your target priority list. If you play Steel Guards and haven't run this combo, my only question is "Why not?!" since it might be the very best place for Guai-Lo to be.

Hmmmm... What about the PLA's The Dragon and The Phoenix? They deserve to be transported with a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:
Hmmmm... What about the PLA's The Dragon and The Phoenix? They deserve to be transported with a unit.
Nah, their own movement and platoon bonus weighs up for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.