Subject: BGG.Spring 2019 Library Volunteer Sign-Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Library
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE 5/6/2019 - 70% filled - You guys are awesome! Still plenty of opportunities to help in the library specifically on Saturday and Sunday nights....

I will leave the sign up open until some time Tuesday, May 22 and then I will lock it down. If you decide during the CON that you would like to help out in the library, please stop in the library and check the Sign-In Sheet for open slots. 9 days or less!!! We look forward to meeting you!

It's TIME!!! Time to sign up for volunteering in the BGG.Spring Library. We are using SignUpGenius this year to manage our Volunteer sign-ups. Two very great things about this system are e-mails to remind you about your sign up and if swaps need to be made, you can do it through this system instead of using the BGG Forums. So,

Step 1: Before you do anything - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED A TICKET TO BGG.Spring. Volunteering for a shift does not get you a ticket.

Step 2: Check the BGG.Spring wiki page for the most up to date information about scheduling and anything else related to BGG.Spring.

Step 3: Special NOTES regarding children/teens volunteering: Are children allowed? Yes, if your child is 12 and over, this is a great volunteer place for them to be of help. HOWEVER, children between the ages of 12 and 16 MUST have a parent or guardian volunteering with them. If you have younger children, you can bring them to your shift and they are welcome to play a game or with a toy or craft project while you serve.

Step 4:

Step 5: Show up, Sign In and HAVE FUN!!!!

Library Hours:
Friday - 10:00 a.m. - midnight
Saturday - 8:00 a.m. - midnight
Sunday - 8:00 a.m. - midnight (Closed from 6:00 pm til 8:00 pm for Prize Drawing/Award Ceremony)
Monday - 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

I need at least 1 person for every time slot, but we know some of you might want to sign up as a pair, which is why 2 slots are listed. You will be responsible for running the computers for checking-in and checking-out games. During any possible free time, you are charged with straightening games on the shelves, replacing missing parts, printing missing rule sheets, etc. There should also be an assigned member of Team Geek on hand during each shift to help with any computer issues, answer questions, and fill in as needed.

Anyone who arrives early, meaning Thursday, you are welcome to help us unload the library and set it up. Please meet in Maverick (Convention Level - room name listed above entrance). And if you are not leaving till later on Monday or possibly even Tuesday, we can use help Monday afternoon to pack the library for storage. I am not requesting sign-ups for these tasks, but any and all help will be appreciated.

The BGG Library is the pride and joy of BGG Events and it's all made possible with your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Ready to be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Brown
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign up, it is a great way to meet others at the convention while giving back to the hobby that’s given so much to us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Is it still a prerequisite for volunteering that you had to attend a past BGG Con? That's what I was told in the past... is this still the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
Is it still a prerequisite for volunteering that you had to attend a past BGG Con? That's what I was told in the past... is this still the case?

It’s not a prerequisite, more of a guideline. The reason was that BGG wanted you to experience the con and all it has to offer first, not sitting behind a desk or rearranging shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:

I signed up for an hour at my first con and it was just fine. I appreciated the hour off of wandering around looking for a game anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Hobbs
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up! This is my first time going and do not know anyone and I agree that volunteering is a good way to meet others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
Lisolet wrote:
Signed up! This is my first time going and do not know anyone and I agree that volunteering is a good way to meet others.

Thank you for signing up! You got a great slot as mornings are generally more quiet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shepherd
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zahariel wrote:
nexttothemoon wrote:

I signed up for an hour at my first con and it was just fine. I appreciated the hour off of wandering around looking for a game anyway!

My wife and I also volunteered the first year we attended and loved it so much we've done it every year since. We like to do it early in the con so we meet new people to game with for the rest of the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pisanich
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
If at first you don't succeed.... SQUIRREL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lisolet wrote:

Thank you, Lisa! We really appreciate your help.

Just a small bit of information that may help your first time attending. There are little wooden flags in the main ballroom that say "teacher wanted" and "players wanted". I think there is a third but I cannot remember at the moment. Anyway, I like to look for people with the players wanted flags at their table and ask to join them/meet new people. I personally have a rule/goal that I try to teach at least 1 game to a random group and then also play 1 game with random strangers. In addition, I've found that if you pick out a game you want to play, you can then grab either the players wanted, the teacher wanted, or both flags and walk around the main ballroom holding up the flags and the game box lid to find others to play with. I hope that helps. Thanks again for helping in the library!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamespisanich wrote:
Just a small bit of information that may help your first time attending. There are little wooden flags in the main ballroom that say "teacher wanted" and "players wanted". I think there is a third but I cannot remember at the moment. Anyway, I like to look for people with the players wanted flags at their table and ask to join them/meet new people.

Definitely second the strategy of looking for people with those signs. I think the most fun I had last year was stumbling over a couple of very puzzled-looking people, sitting in the main ballroom around a "Teacher Wanted" sign and a half-unpacked library copy of Twilight Imperium 4th Edition. I just goggled in disbelief at them for a few seconds, then made them pack it up, took it and them to the big tables in the 18+ hall, and spent an hour teaching them to play. They were still at it 4 hours later when I came back, so... good job? I also ended up teaching an older couple and their 11-year-old grandson how to play Dungeon Lords, and then proceeded to get absolutely slaughtered by the kid. That, also, was quite entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Hobbs
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I need to be knowledgeable of how to play these games to volunteer? I definitely do not know much about the heavier games like Twilight Imperium. I want to help in any way I can but I am unsure I would be qualified to teach any board games. Just making sure I am not getting in over my head in some way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bird
United States
Lewisville
Tx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lisolet wrote:
Do I need to be knowledgeable of how to play these games to volunteer? I definitely do not know much about the heavier games like Twilight Imperium. I want to help in any way I can but I am unsure I would be qualified to teach any board games. Just making sure I am not getting in over my head in some way!

Teaching board games is not required for volunteering in the Library. The teacher need signs are used in the gaming rooms for any group that just wants help learning a game. Anyone can go up and help teach a game to those who want help. Volunteering in the Library is primarily helping check games in/out and keeping games organized on the shelves as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamespisanich wrote:
... and walk around the main ballroom holding up the flags and the game box lid to find others to play with. I hope that helps. Thanks again for helping in the library!

That's worked for us over the years when we're not playing with some friends. I set the game up while my wife waves the box cover around or walks out into the lobby or library for a moment looking to get a bite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lisolet wrote:

The only skill required to volunteer in the library is the ability to point a scanner gun at a barcode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim lathrop

Oklahoma
msg tools
mb
Lisolet wrote:

Knowledge of the different type of games is a plus but not required to help. i do at least an hour each con. I have played alot of games but dont consider myself a great teacher either. But i try to tell people the type of game that they are checking out. They just need people to check in/out. Usually team geek folks will be walking around the library helping to find games. Oh and you need to be able to type alot of people ask you to look up obscure tittles of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Hobbs
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can definitely do all of these tasks just fine! Very excited to help out. Living in Dallas for several years now I wish I had started going sooner. Thank you for all of the information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bonaparte
msg tools
See you Saturday at 10pm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.