Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Without the TFT rule book?

I picked up the pocket edition of melee/wizard and this was on the shelf and I bought it. Should I return?

Not really interested in the complete TFT RPG.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trollenkars Lair says it requires In the Labyrinth, the RPG rules. You might try the Death Test adventures, which only require Melee and Wizard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thx!!!!!

Are they available outside of the huge new Box Set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently so: https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/271013?utm_source=boardgamepr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, Tollenkar's Lair is an adventure for TFT. You could probably figure most of it out, but I'm not are where you're headed.

If you want to play solitaire, definitely get Death Test and Death Test 2.

If you want to play with a group, definitely spring for In The Labyrinth.

I doubt you'll be disappointed either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be able to play the tactical encounters easily.

The non-tactical sections? just remember it's Xd6 < attribute.

Old edition (mostly compatible) had some talents worth +1 or +2 to an attribute, many others knocked 1d or 2d off relevant difficulties.

Knowing that, you should be able to fake the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Benson
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not interested in the TFT rules because you don't want a RPG, there is a lot in there that applies to Melee/Wizard without role playing.

Originally there was Melee, Advanced Melee, Wizard, Advanced Wizard and In the Labyrinth. Advanced Melee and Advanced Wizard had more weapons, combat options, spells and magic item lists/rules. When SJG just did the new The Fantasy Trip in the Labyrinth, they essentially put all the advanced stuff and the old In the Labyrinth stuff in one book.

There are more weapons than Melee and combat options. There are more spells. There are talents (skills) that modify combat as well as provide more character depth than just combat and magic (thief stuff, wilderness stuff, bard stuff, etc.). And there are magic items and potions. If you want to spice up your Melee/Wizard without role playing, there is still value in the new rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter von Kleinsmid
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, while it would be sort of theoretically possible to fake it, Tollenkar's Lair is an adventure designed to be played in RPG fashion, with a person playing as Game Master for other players, etc. And it's best with a good TFT GM. There are quite a few things that are not explained in Melee and Wizard, such as labyrinth maps, talents, the spells that are not in basic Wizard, powerstones, the all-important healing rules, locks and traps, how far different types of noise travels through doors and shafts, the entire outside context of the adventure (and the map for it, travel rules, etc), how much equipment costs and weighs, and encumbrance rules, the non-basic Experience system, etc etc etc.

So while it would be possible to fake it if you are a good RPG GM, it's really not designed to be used without ITL. And if you are a good RPG GM, you would want ITL.

Death Test, on the other hand, was written before ITL, and is designed to be played with basic Melee and Wizard, and can easily be played solitaire or in two-player adversarial mode. It's mostly a context to have a series of battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.