Andrew Binning
msg tools
I would like more opinions on what a skill may be worth. I have tried to use logical arguments to assign a value to each ability. +1 Free Action is used as the baseline for 10 points, and everything is relative to that.

If I could get some more opinions on this short list of abilities, and any comments you would like to make it would be immensely helpful and greatly appreciated.

Just insert a new column, add a nickname and input your values. After I have enough data for the shortlist I will post the complete list with the results, and another chance for more fine tuning.

Google Sheet Z:BP Skills

I tend to assign higher values to free actions, like bloodlust, free combat actions, etc. Of course a combat actions is not as good a a free action, but it is better than a free ranged action.z
Other actions are great, but are either situational, or do not have as much impact as free actions.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abinning wrote:

Black Plague is a different game with its own forum.

Edit: added link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Binning
msg tools
Thank you, I did not notice I was in the wrong place. Although this will work for standard zombicide as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abinning wrote:
Although this will work for standard zombicide as well.

If the goal is to somehow balance the characters then i respectfully disagree . If you assign points to the existing characters you're going to have a tremendous range of values. Some characters simply have sucky skill sets and some characters don't. There really is little to no balance in the supplied characters' range of skills.

The point system would need to take into account exactly when a skill is unlocked. Starting off with Shove makes the character immune to Abominations (except for S3's) from the start, whereas gaining Shove at Orange or Red is far less valuable. Even the basic +1 Action: it's far, far more valuable when gained at Yellow than at higher levels (try a custom character who doesn't get that skill until later and you'll see what i mean).

Certain combinations also increase the value of skills: Taunt really only shines when the Taunter has Slippery or the Taunter or a colleague has Shove. Some skills are so scenario-dependent as to be useless (Jump and Helicopter Pilot come to mind). Wanda's extra movement is nearly useless on a small/crowded board.

In short, there are no single point values which make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's probably the only thing with modding this game..the values for characters and monsters is very narrow.and as such you don't have a lot of wiggle room.thats why although theres a hell of a lot of characters in the game [especially with expansions added].a lot of them are the same or almost the same specs and values wise...but it was designed as a very simple game with a very good mechanic and it works!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that when the survivor gets a skill is also very relevant. For example, starting the game with lucky is much better than gaining the skill at red level (and having two other great skills to choose from.

Also, when you get to red, one particular skill might be better under certain circumstances - so if you need to race through a load of zombies to reach a goal, slippery is good. If you need to kill an abomination to win the game, super strength is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Binning
msg tools
Thank you all for the replies and insights.
Using my current values the characters range from 35ish to 55ish with an average of 46.
I agree time of unlock can make a big difference in skill value, and I consider this when making new characters, but it would get very complicated to bake it in to the points.
I want to use this as a very loose guideline so the value do not need to be very precise, just generally accurate on a continuum.

Something like:
+1 Free Action > +1 Combat Action > +1 Move Action > +1 Search Action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosemari Kapp
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
This is what I use when creating custom characters. It's not a "point" system, so much as a rule about where abilities are allowed to go. I have ones that should only be gained at blue, yellow, orange and red, and at the end abilities that can be used anywhere, and have removed some entirely because I felt they were either useless or overpowered. Could help as a base for folks to work from.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aFAHQFc0xc3wtfeyXYZqvgXn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.